Home assistant does not install on a new RP4 / Wlan0 not found

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
magus66
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello!

Perhaps someone can help me or guide me into the right direction.

I got me a ne RP4 4 GB plus an SD32 GB card and put the Home Assistant image onto it and started my RP. In an video it was said not to bother about the installation ... yeah sure. ;-)
After 30 minutes I looked into it and it seemed that the installation tried to get access to a wlan0 adapter or sort of and retried it and retried. I tried the 64 bit version for RP - same result.
What makes me wonder is the fact that I connected a ethernet cable to the RP. And other installation on different SD cards like Raspian, Ubuntu etc. work fine.

Any idea what I could change or how might install it in a different way?

Thanks
Andreas

P.S.
I know this is now software support forum. I posted the problem at Home Assistant forum a week earlier with no result yet.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

- Do you for sure have internet access with the ethernet cable you're plugging in?
- Is the cable plugged in before you power the pi on?
- Do you have any USB sticks plugged into the Pi when you power it on?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
rik94566
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I just got done performing this very process with the RP4 setup LEDG recommends in his youtube.

One thing I made sure to do is lock in the IP address on the router and then rebooting the router before going to setting up the Home Assistant registration info ( as talked about in the youtube). Did not follow this process on a RP 3B+ and could never get it to work or the Pi be found - there might be a resource issue as well with the new HASSOS and 3B+ combination - so went with the recommended equipment used in the video to make sure no equipment or resource issues when following along as there are a lot of other things to learn and understand when it comes Home Assistant and Node-Red.

Worked just as talked about in the youtube (part 1) with the RP4B setup.

Doing it this way the MAC address shows as a Raspberry Pi not "homeassistant" so instead of using "homeassistant.local.8123" I have to go with ipaddress:8123 and works everytime. On to part 2 now!
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I had issues with my install as well, I was able to SSH directly into the HA while wired in and noticed that the wireless card was incredibly unstable. It would see wireless networks then it would not, I never found a fix but just had to leave my RP4 hard wired to the network.
gvbz
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Just some info regarding the HA system I recently finished setting up.. I originally tried running wireless via a wireless config file located on a USB stick which is connected to the pi on boot up. Had nothing but issues with this setup, whether it be from poor wireless signal in a sealed room or due to my router, even though i had assigned a specific IP address for the pi that didn't change. I ended up running an ethernet cable to the pi in my flower room and have not had a single issue since. I was getting random dropouts of HA and situations where the entire system would go down and not come back up unless the pi was rebooted and all HA logs identified WLAN issues. I was also having problems with TPlink plug dropout, and again I believe this was due to poor wireless signal. Put in a tplink WAP right by all the wireless plugs and havnt had a single issue since. It seems unless the wireless signal is extremely solid, it becomes an issue for HA.
480W Bridgelux EB Gen3 Parallel Build: https://bit.ly/2NfoVyE
Grow Room Automation w/ Node Red: https://bit.ly/3hOm5yK
Github: https://github.com/gvbz/gardenbro
Instagram: @loudfarms_ca