Meanwell Dimming with ESP32

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
Groenbaard
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi All,

I am very very new to automation but have built the dimmer as per LEDGardner info on Github, my question is I have 2 meanwell drivers can I connect them to the one ESP for dimming?

Its working perfectly, but before I just add the other dimming to the existing one i need to ask to be sure.

Drivers 320B and 480B

Many thanks and Kind regards
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yes, you can add two, but need them on different pins. When I was setting up my fan control, I actually started with two light controls and was dimming two different lights before I started testing the fan. Your code will look something like this:

output:
- platform: ledc
pin: 23
frequency: 1220 Hz
inverted: true
id: growlight1_pwm
channel: 0
- platform: ledc
pin: 19
frequency: 1220 Hz
inverted: true
id: growlight2_pwm
channel: 2

light:
- platform: monochromatic
name: "Grow Light"
output: growlight1_pwm
gamma_correct: 1.0
- platform: monochromatic
name: "Grow Light"
output: growlight2_pwm
gamma_correct: 1.0
Groenbaard
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Good Morning,

Many thanks bud will give it a go and revert back once I have tested :-)
Groenbaard
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi There,

Before test it, do I still need different channels if its on the same frequency?
Is different channels not for different frequencies?

Just asking - rechecked the video and this was my understanding, I have uploaded with the different channels though as I wanted to make sure here first and so that i understand correctly :-)
thevalkyriesride33
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I honestly don't know. Try it both ways and report back if one doesn't work.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Groenbaard wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:54 am
Hi There,

Before test it, do I still need different channels if its on the same frequency?

Just asking - rechecked the video and this was my understanding, I have uploaded with the different channels though as I wanted to make sure here first and so that i understand correctly :-)
have you test them plugged together on Daisy Chain using the original control ? i have here MarsHydro SP3000's and SP6500's working on the same ESPHome with different drivers , i have also tested a few months ago with Tasmota and was working good to
Groenbaard
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:15 pm
Groenbaard wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:54 am
Hi There,

have you test them plugged together on Daisy Chain using the original control ? i have here MarsHydro SP3000's and SP6500's working on the same ESPHome with different drivers , i have also tested a few months ago with Tasmota and was working good to
Howzit man, thanks for that, it was my initial question if i could just "wago clips" the dimmer leads for both drivers and then take it top the pinout - I did so this a.m an it worked :-)
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i'm happy it worked for you, good luck wt your project :mrgreen:
skibum1
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I also was trying to figure this out. My two Spider Farmer SF2000's LEDs have built-in dimming/daisy chain modules, but they don't seem to work correctly. I was going to remove these dimming units and wire them up so a PWM signal from my RaspberryPi can control the lights. I wasn't sure if the signal would work if wired in parallel:

Groenbaard - just to confirm, are saying you wired the DIM + lead of both lights together to the PWM signal and both DIM - leads to the ground and dimming was functioning properly?

Thanks.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i have modded many diff LEDs Drivers with PWM for me and friends , some driver pwm controlers are 5V some are 10V . an ESP + Mosfet on ESPHome does the trick , i do have to scale the min/max PWM config on ESPHome , since a ESP pwm output is 3.3v max , you can also use 3.3v-5V logic driver to solve that .
yes you plug all grounds / posites / PWM signal together it should work , this weekend im doing a Mars Hydro SP3000 for a friend its also MeanWell Driver , i will take pics and share so you can have a idea , but its just one light
i also purchased a cheap Oscilloscope so i can read the frequency from the original PWM controller of the light as i need it on ESPHome Configs .