Lux

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The curving leaves is a latent infection of the tobacco mosaic virus. Seems quite mild, but looks very much like it.

People say it is contagious, but I'm not sure what the science there is. I had a Jack Herer that was a infected a little worse then that. Ran it twice without any issues, so I wouldn't throw it out at this point.

To me the light color is just low nitrogen, when I grow in soil I aim for very light yellow leaves at the end. It's quite easy when you know the strain. Seems like shes a heavy feeder, with the nute levels falling steadily.

During veg you want the well growing tips to be lighter then the established plant material. If the strongly growing tips are as dark as the fan leaves its already a sign of nitrogen toxicity, even if there is no tip burn. The ones in the front could benefit from a tiny dose of N but would not stress too much. It will be the tastiest of the bunch, and need less curing.

I just grabbed the 2.5umol figure from RIU, it can be more or less depending on how hard its driven, maybe I'll see if I find a chart somewhere. Also for real ppfd height plays in so most people like to measure it out.

Total driver output x strip umol = ppf
ppf/ area = average ppfd

4x4 is around 1.4m2 so we divide the ppf with that 612ppf/ 1.4 = 437 This should be close to the average ppfd if all photons fall into the 4x4.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hey marine just posted an interesting video in the led section. Leds and micropropagation. At 33min you can see a serious case of the tobacco mosaic virus.

While watching the video i was thinking more about the advice I was giving. When I had an infected plant I made sure I always kept it as far as possible from strains I planned to clone from and keep. Also don't keep clones from the infected plant together with clones from healthy strains that mean a lot to you.
turpman
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Wow thanks a lot. You think the seed was infected with the virus.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Certainly possible and probable, but not sure.

I had it on a Herer, which I reluctantly gave up after identifying whats up. I had grown it twice and never saw it emerge in the other plants.
Now I tried some Kritikal-k seeds and really didn't have luck. One was drooping, so I pulled the seedling out of the coco. A large fungus gnat larvae came up with it, busy eating the taproot. Another one had the TM virus, and the third one just seems generally lacking vigor. All my regulars seem fine. Was thinking of hitting up the breeder to see if they want to compensate the one with a virus. Others are obviously my fuckups.

I checked on the EB2's and I found a referance that at .7a they give 2.55 umol, so quite close to my estimate.
turpman
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

That's crappy. I'll grow this one out and toss no need for TMV to be around.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 am
Total driver output x strip umol = ppf
ppf/ area = average ppfd
Can you link to RUI where you found the PPF of Eb gen2?

You said @ .7mA uMol = 2.55
2' strip?
We're these actual readings from a par meter or calculations?
We're there any other readings at other amperages?
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Just found the post with that info but I couldn't figure out if it was 2' or 4' strips
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The 4 footers are 38v so the amps are comparable. The one footers are the same voltage as the two footers so they run on half the ampers
turpman
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Now I’m confused a 4’ should put out double the umol compared to a 2’?
What’s the umol of a 4’@.7a?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The umol is a conversion factor, it will be the same for the range, changing by how hard you drive them.

The 1 & 2 foot strips are 19v, and the 4 foot strips use double the volts. So its easy to calculate between the ones that have the same voltage, and they can also be used in parallel builds. The 4 footers will put out double the light at the same ampers, but it will be using double the power too. It's just amps x volts. Double the volts will double the power.