Best lights for a 8x8?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

DubJ wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:43 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:00 pm
In the spydrx series Fluence promises a ppfd of 800 using 345w in a 4x4, and a ppfd of 1500-1700 using 650w in a 4x4. The power per sq foot in these models ranges from 21.5w to 41.25w. Please note that these fixtures are designed to be run very close to the canopy.

The lower power model is designed for environments without co2, and the higher power model for a co2 supplemented grow. The standard builds LedG has prepared usually aim for around 30w/ sq foot, so it should reach/ surpass 800ppfd. Naturally the final ppfd figures will depend on fixture height and wall reflection, and it will be hard to get the light close to the canopy if you don't have enough strips to keep light even.

https://fluence.science/technology/spydr/

Thanks for the reply. These lights are impressive but they are also very expensive at $2.50-$3.00+ per watt :shock:
I don’t have a set budget so I could get these if I wanted but I would rather save a few $ by building the same or, similar or even better light fixture. None the less these Fluence lights would be awesome in a commercial setting. I would rather DIY using strips and or QBs. I’m leaning towards the strip builds that LedG has prepared or similar. Have you seen any PPFD testing done on these builds at all? That would be key data I could use to determine exactly what I’m going to do.
I think the fluence lights use the same diode you are looking at, and a comparable driver, so just posted it as a referance.

On possible places to save money without loosing specs, one area you will have to think about is heat dissipation. Heatsinks can cost quite a bit, one alternative is adding lots of strips, switching heatsinks to cheap alu extrusions and having a generally more efficient setup.

On the broad spectrum, the currently most efficient strips are 80cri which is quite broad. There are also 90cri strips where efficiency is sacrificed for an even broader spectrum. There is quite a drop though, from around 190lm/w to 135lm/w. Even when adjusted to take all parameters into account there is about 10% less plant responsive photons.
A more efficient solution, which seems quite popular in the commercial market is to add some extra 660nm red diodes.

There are a bunch of things you could do comparisons, like the H-series with vs without 660 supplementation. There are currently no authoritative 80 vs 90cri comparisons available, though there seems to be interest (perhaps one 2x4 vesta build which is 90cri with a tunable spectrum from 2700k-5000k). Also there are really no good comparisons on intensities, most people wonder how much power, it would be interesting to see side by sides in the 25w-45w per sq foot region.

Earlier for a 2x4 fixture using 2 foot strips I went for 8 strips, and never felt I was lacking coverage, even when running at 15cm from canopy. Cant say if I could have gotten away with less. There are quite a few options on the H-series, with single and double row strips and such. Not really sure how their price compares.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

45W per square ft would be a DLI of 52.5 (45* 2.6 *12*3600/ 1,000,000) on a 12 hour light cycle. 25W would be a DLI of 28.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I can already tell your going to fit in well here DubJ 😁

I've been playing with 2x4 veg light ideas lately... mainly using h strips...

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/8536580.
8 of those will just fit on a HLG-240h-c1400 for series wiring... running the strips listed at the test current of 1.43 is only pushing them around 60% of max.. weld the frame/heatsink out of 1" square stock and stick them right to it.. a 5" on center gap between each would put the fixture roughly 26"x 36"

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/8536579

if I was going to wire parallel.. I was thinking to use the 1A test current ones instead... 10 of those would fit on a HLG-240h-24.. ( 10A driver 10 1A strips 😁) same build style as above.. just smaller gap if you want to stay around the 36" wide... or use same 5" and push it out to 46" ( 9 gaps at 5" +1" for each half inch on end strip.. since we gapped from center..)

I forget what else I was going to add lol.. but your going to have fun... I'll definitely be watching to see differences in strips and 96 qb elites 😁
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:02 pm
45W per square ft would be a DLI of 52.5 (45* 2.6 *12*3600/ 1,000,000) on a 12 hour light cycle. 25W would be a DLI of 28.
Yeah, I guess it would be interesting to see comparisons in the 18-50DLI range, but for a co2 enriched grow it would be pretty crazy to go too low. (:
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

CO2 production is problematic, with gas you have heat. And with bottles they need to be cooled. Not practical here in Hawai'i even with high value crops like orchids. With an OZ selling for $30 in Oregon payback costs just became more difficult.
DubJ
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I could try to cheap out on the heat sinks. I can get some 1/4inch solid alluminum flat bars for next to nothing or would the H influx need something more substantial like from heatsinkusa ?

I think I will be comparing the H influx / qb96elites / Samsung’s new horticulture lineup which will have 660s and 730s (if I can get these before flower time late January) all running at 30-35w/sq ft. I’m really curious to see how they all compare. .
DubJ
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:25 pm
I can already tell your going to fit in well here DubJ 😁

I've been playing with 2x4 veg light ideas lately... mainly using h strips...

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/8536580.
8 of those will just fit on a HLG-240h-c1400 for series wiring... running the strips listed at the test current of 1.43 is only pushing them around 60% of max.. weld the frame/heatsink out of 1" square stock and stick them right to it.. a 5" on center gap between each would put the fixture roughly 26"x 36"

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/8536579

if I was going to wire parallel.. I was thinking to use the 1A test current ones instead... 10 of those would fit on a HLG-240h-24.. ( 10A driver 10 1A strips 😁) same build style as above.. just smaller gap if you want to stay around the 36" wide... or use same 5" and push it out to 46" ( 9 gaps at 5" +1" for each half inch on end strip.. since we gapped from center..)

I forget what else I was going to add lol.. but your going to have fun... I'll definitely be watching to see differences in strips and 96 qb elites 😁

Hey thanks for the all that info it really helps! I might just use those exact specs for building mine ! If you were had choose again would you rather run the series setup you mentioned or the parallel setup you mentioned ? What would be the difference? (This is where I really lack knowledge and could use the most help)

And do you think 2” wide 1/4inch thick solid alluminum strips (basically equates to 1/2inch x1 inch of solid alluminum) would be enough for these strips or should I grab some heatsinks from heatsinkusa ?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

DubJ wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:35 am
I could try to cheap out on the heat sinks. I can get some 1/4inch solid alluminum flat bars for next to nothing or would the H influx need something more substantial like from heatsinkusa ?

I think I will be comparing the H influx / qb96elites / Samsung’s new horticulture lineup which will have 660s and 730s (if I can get these before flower time late January) all running at 30-35w/sq ft. I’m really curious to see how they all compare. .
The heatsinking is just an issue of power on one side, and surface volume on the other. Efficiency also increases as you add strips so it's a win win situation.

Flatbar will work, and u shaped extrusions will have even more surface volume if they are not too much more expensive. In general aluminium is sold by weight, so thinner with more surface is usually the way to go.

Now you've settled on the power your aiming for, after you decide the amount of strips it will be quite easy to calculate.

For example if you use 30w per sq foot with 8x2 foot strips it will only use 15w per foot of strip, and run quite cool.
DubJ
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Happy thanksgiving all!

I was wondering what kind driver and strip setup is ideal for a 320w 2x4 fixture using 2ft H influx strips? I think I may run each 4x4 @ 640w as opposed to 480
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Meanwell has a 320w model, and 600w models, but perhaps someone smarter can chime in, some of the meanwell models produce a little more then the model number so perhaps theres a model that would get you up to 640