Mean Well driver only putting out around 50% of power Please help!

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
RegEStax
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello to all, I have an issue reg's my new light I have built, (Basic 1 cob on active heatsink specs below) I'm getting less than 50% of power to cob which is rated to 100w @36v? I'm not expecting to use it at this but would like to get @ least 60w of draw from it to get a good brightness.

Driver is a Mean Well ELG-100U-36B
Cob is Citizen CLU048 1212 100w cobb that can take over 2.6A

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product ... ELG-100U#1

When everythings hooked up:
My multi meters read 35.99v @1.24A max...44.6 watts? Am I missing something, the driver is cc+cv. link to datasheet above if someone wants to look it up. I have tried it with no pot (open cables) but the same thing no more than 44w, I did notice that when the pot is used 100k pot, that as soon as it gets half way there is a little flicker then it increases no further, so only half way is of use? I understand that watts isn't to go by but I'm sure it should use more power...shouldn't it?

I tried contacting Mean Well eu & USA but never get through to anyone, this is a real pain, No one returns emails so I'm asking if someone knows why this is happening. I am a noob to LED drivers and Cobs but understand a little about electronics. So I'm hoping someone can clear it up for me as trying to get help here in uk seems non ex???

Thanks for reading and look forwards to replys :)
Last edited by RegEStax on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RegEStax
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey all, guess no one can help with the issue, so as were stuck and need to get this going just wondered if someone could just recommend a Mean Well B (dimmable version) driver that will dim from 0% or 10% to 100% to fully utilize the Citizen CLU048 1212 cob. I did get a response finally from Mean Well, but they are not 100% with their answer, so guess they don't feel confident with that cob but they say get:

ELG-100x-42 ( rated 2.28A, Vf~39Và 88.92W)
or
ELG-150x-48 (rated 2.8A, Vf ~39.5Và 110.6W)
x being A or B driver

But looking @ CLU048 1212 datasheet I'm worried that the voltage on these are gonna fry the cob .crossing fingers any help please?
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi!
I've attached a picture from the CLU Datasheet. The COB wants more Voltage the higher the amps. But the Driver cuts out at 36V.
At 2,6A the COB wants something like 39,5V which the driver cannot give so it maxes out at 36V/1,2A.
Always check the Datasheets :D
Hope this helps.
Attachments
CLU048 1212 Current vs Voltage.JPG
CLU048 1212 Current vs Voltage.JPG (21.38 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
RegEStax
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hats off to you Capt. Saicin, really appreciate your reply man. Funny enough I watched a video last night on Youtub3 and what you have just said was just that. :roll:

The LEDG Guide to Mean Well HLG Drivers: Part 2 - Constant Voltage & Parallel Wiring.

To anyone new reading this and thinking of buying a CLU048 1212 Gen 5 or 6 versions get the exact data sheet to the one your interested in buying as there are a few different versions of it, they do vary a fair bit in Luminous efficacy (measure of how well a light source produces visible light) and what power they draw, and now that I have got all the correct info on it I can move a little further. As an example in the video link above, Ryan talks about cc+cv mode and uses a CLU048 1212C4 cob that pulls 1.4A @ 36v, but the one I have has a below B.B.L colour index, but the same 90cri and only draws 1.24A @ 36V and has a much lower efficacy of 126 lmw. So yeah definately should of read more into this. I'm a noob and can say that, had I watched the series of videos in the first place I would of not purchased either of these items...Knowledge is power aye!

So now the question I ask, just to be on the safe side, would these drivers: ELG-100-42 ( rated 2.28A, Vf~39Và 88.92W) or ELG-150-48 B series (rated 2.8A, Vf ~39.5Và 110.6W) Capt.Saicin or anyone else in the know do the job of giving me some more juice for 1 cob or should I just get a dimmable B version that will give me CC like the C1400 or C2100?

Thanks again Capt :D
infosponge
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Keep in mind the ELG series will only produce max output at 240 volts, at 120 it's production is reduced significantly, about half if I recall correctly. I got some because they're cheaper for the same production as the HLG and I was wiring the room for 240 anyways. If you're not wired for 240 that's probably part of the reason you're not getting max output

The driver should go up to 39.6 volts