Adding Series F Strips As Supplement

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
myxin
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Whats up all,

I've moved on from my tent to a 5x8 room. I'm utilizing about 3x6 of it for growing. Currently I'm using 6 photon fantom boards. However, the PPFD really drops off on the back side of the room and around the sides, anything that isn't directly under a board. I've been playing with the idea of adding some F strips around the border to supplement the boards, but wondering if its worth it. I don't want to remake the fixtures I'm currently using, but I'm not sure of any other way to mount the strips as I only have 1 central joist in the ceiling to hang on. I'm using 2 fixtures right now, 36 inch angles with 3 boards per fixture. Any suggestions/ideas? Am I overthinking the amount of light I need? Would COB's give me better coverage for cheaper?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have strips all around the edges, about 5-10cm from the tops. They are slanting down/in, and I feed them 150w (4x4feet). I see them as a part of my top lighting. I think they are great. Increase penetration.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I like the concept so much I'm going to trial it myself:

cob array in the center of a 4x4 tent, with 4' strips (1ft off the canopy) angled in ~15°. Love the idea of being able to kill the cob while I'm working, along with zero encroachment on headroom in the tent.

Thinking EB gen 2 3500k myself as my cobs have nothing in this 500-600nm range.

Great stuff guys!
Run 'em soft
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have the sidelights attached to the tent poles in a way that I can rise them and lower them as needed. They are not at the exactly same height, because the side branching varies by side.

I was planning on running full on sidelighting on this run, but the tent filled up too much, and it was burning the plants. I do have two lower strips on 2 sides of the plant, so half the grow area has 3 rows of side lights, and half only one. The plants are over 1m tall. I've hung a bunch of 1foot strips into the branches like christmas decorations, to light up any area inside the canopy that looks dark.

For my next run I have a single plant, So I will have the space to test 3-4 rows of sidelighting, with 60-70% of the light on the sides.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"