how hard to drive boards....

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
pmoss
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

i'm a total FNG, but dreaming about some LED's. i live in Fla., and heat is a problem. kinda got my head around the series wiring requirements, but how about in respect to HEAT ?? for example, the HLG 288 boards supposedly to to 3200ma, so how hard can you drive them before heat becomes an issue ? is there a general rule for LED's, like over 65% is getting hot ?? i'm running 2 315CMH's now, and they can get pretty hot. How would a 288 compare, and how many, and driven at what level ? i gotta 2.5' x 5' space, i'm the KING OF THE BATHTUB GROWERS .... hehehehe......

this is a real good place, been reading a bunch, and everyone's helpful !!! thanks in advance.......
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

QB's will put out heat, but probably at quite a different level then what your used to. If you run the leds at 65-70% the leds should be ok to touch.

With 12.5 square feet you will probably want to aim for around 360w+
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Oh,, and welcome to the forum. Someone with experience on the 288 board will probably join the conversation soon.
pmoss
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ty, sir...... so if i get the big 2800ma driver, and turn it down, what happens to the power draw from the wall ??
am i wasting power when i turn the driver down??
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Theres a minor loss in efficiency, which means it produces a little less power vs heat. Minor stuff, though. With your heat you probably want the driver out of your grow space anyway. Do what you can to keep the heat out.
pmoss
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

8-)