How do I monitor amps being fed to my LED strips?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Ambient
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey all. I have a question that I haven't found an answer for yet.
-----
I'm wanting to run 6 bridgelux strips at 1400mA, but I want the ability to lower them to 1050mA in the event that they get too hot for my liking.

My question: How do you monitor how many amps you're lowering the potentiometer to when turning the knob?

I plan to use the drivers built-in potentiometer for the "HLG-185H-C1400A". This also gives me the ability to add a few more strips if I like since the output power is 200w.

Can you use one of those kill-a-watt devices which monitors wattage to determine how many amps you're turning the potentiometer to?

6 LED strips @ 1.05amps x 19.5v = 123 watts
6 LED strips @ 1.4amps x 19.5v = 164 watts

That would be my readout for those strips based on the amps they would have. So if I want to run @ 1050mA I would dial the potentiometer to around 123watts. Is this wrong?

Thanks for any feedback.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

You’ll get pretty close doing it that way.

You have to remember to factor in driver inefficiencies. KillAwatt is measuring everything after the outlet not just the strips.

For the most accurate reading a multimeter should be used connected in series to read the drivers output.

Why do you wanna run your strips so hard? Just curious.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Run 'em soft