Bridgelux Gen 2 source/alternative.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

optimization wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:52 am
The DIY guides here for LED strips seem to give theory to the fact that Bridgelux has understated their max current, the guides seem to run them quite close to max.

A lot of food for thought haha, sorta makes it overwhelming when trying to settle on a decision. I choose Strips for the fact that shipping on the heatsinks was almost equaling the costs of the heatsinks.
it needs to be noted that the parallel strip calculator still has EB gen 1 numbers on it.. there's no gen 2 strips on there.... yet.. 😁 It needs to be updated..

if your referencing the strip build guide blog, then yes those numbers are gen 2..
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

One more thing you might want to look at is opulant americas strips. They have an economy line and a performance line, perhaps you have them over there?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:39 pm
if your referencing the strip build guide blog, then yes those numbers are gen 2..
I was referencing the build guide, also tempted to run a setup which references it's design, just outweighing pro's and cons.
Heat wasn't an issue when driven like guides?
unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:45 pm
One more thing you might want to look at is opulant americas strips. They have an economy line and a performance line, perhaps you have them over there?
I'll have a look. I also liked the looks of pacific lighting concepts strips, but they're sold out as of now.
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Also would you say the Gen 1's are still competitive, given their price?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Competitive is a relative term. I was about to buy some simply because I wanted to test a color temperature that was not available in the gen2... If making a clone light or small fixture I would not care too much. i have a lot of 75w drivers so I might think about it differently.

Perhaps 500w of old strip would be too much for me, but for example with the vesta strips I actually wanted to see what kind of heat comes of them, since I'm in a cold country. Really the only difference between gen1 and gen2 is that gen1 will put out a little more heat, and gen2 a little more light. Heat could be good in a scandinavian attic or horrible in Florida.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I just realized the gen2's are out in digikey too... I'm thinking about doing a build with the opulent americas strips. They seem to be about the same price as the 2-foot bridgeluxes, with a little less power.
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'll have a look at those aswell. Cutter has some running Cree J series, which look to be efficient as the Gen 1 EB series but in 90CRI. They also have strips running Nichia which look very efficient also at 90 CRI.

I suppose I just have to weigh up the options, a bit of heat wouldn't be unwanted though.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Arrow has 3k in stock.
unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am
I just realized the gen2's are out in digikey too... I'm thinking about doing a build with the opulent americas strips. They seem to be about the same price as the 2-foot bridgeluxes, with a little less power.
optimization
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ahhh these must have literally just came in.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:48 am
Arrow has 3k in stock.
unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:48 am
Can't really figure anything out with arrow, cant find any info on their deliveries to Scandinavia, and finding it a little hard to navigate their site. Finally found two models of H-inFlux but no link to their datasheets, or info on volts/amps etc. No doubt the problem is on my end, but the digikey site does not make me feel as much of an idiot as this arrow does :oops: