Help configuring leds

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Greenthumbskunk
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I bought a lot of led strips and meanwell drivers and I'm trying to figure out how to configure them and wire them.

The area is roughly 42" wide and the length can be however long.
But I don't have to take up the full 42" wide it can be 36" for example or 38" wide etc.

The strips I bought are the
Bridgelux BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3

The drivers
HLG-320H-C1400A

I was thinking about putting 2 strips back to back making the fixture 4' long but don't know how many strips I can use. Or how wide the spacing between the rows of strips.

This crude redneck drawing shows the layout I was thinking of. This would be 12 strips total. Would the driver handle it? How to wire it? 6" apart be sufficient?
Attachments
IMG_20190318_173130.jpg
crazyphil
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hello !!

I think the first data to start with, is the size of the room , 4' x 3'50, surface = 13.50 '² , a commonly used power is 30w /sqrfoot= 490W. But maybe aren't you growing so greedy plants.
Your 320 W driver will handle easily your 12 strips wired in 6S2P 6*19.5 = 117V (take care, near the mini V of your driver)
2*0.7 = 1.4A (the max A of your driver), this will be a 164 W device/
Ideally, with your driver and your strips you should run 22 Strips 11S2P, at least you will have your 320 W.
I'm still learning, so wait for some wizard to take this for sure.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah its quite hard for you to use the full voltage of that driver...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Greenthumbskunk
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

On rollitup I was first recommended 12 strips then told no I should do 10 instead. So not sure what to do
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I'm making a build with the same diodes. Planning to wire them 2s4p on a meanwell elg 240-42, but am being advised to run them a little softer, so 2s6p. In the HLG line for 240w they also have a 20v driver which is a pretty perfect match if running at 70% or less. Don't know if they have 20v models of the 320w
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
crazyphil
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Greenthumbskunk wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 am
On rollitup I was first recommended 12 strips then told no I should do 10 instead. So not sure what to do
maybe not a good friend the one who told you 10, with this driver, with 10 strips you will be bellow the MIN Voltage of the driver. I think it will handle, but with very low performance, and out of it's confort zone for sure .
12 is a minimum, and you should even go 22 to have a nice balanced system ..
you can put anything form 12-22, but at 20-22, you will drive them soft and gently and they will reward you with good efficiency and long lasting
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

CrazyPhil is absolutely correct.

And with beginners in mind, the softer you run your strips the higher their efficiency. ALWAYS.

Phill is correct in saying with 20-22 strips you will achieve the highest level of efficiency for this build.
But remember, you dont need to use max number of strips possible to have an efficient light. Running more strips powered by less current each always equals higher efficiency. It just increases incrementally ass you add strips to the system.

If you can get 22 of them do it!
Greenthumbskunk
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

crazyphil wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:17 pm
Greenthumbskunk wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 am
maybe not a good friend the one who told you 10, with this driver, with 10 strips you will be bellow the MIN Voltage of the driver. I think it will handle, but with very low performance, and out of it's confort zone for sure .
12 is a minimum, and you should even go 22 to have a nice balanced system ..
you can put anything form 12-22, but at 20-22, you will drive them soft and gently and they will reward you with good efficiency and long lasting

With these EB series strips being 2 foot strips and not the 1 foot strips does it matter?