Solid for 4x4?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah certainly USD, never needed to wrap my head around canadian exchange rates :P

I spent a moment wondering about the propriety driver, and I'm assuming they just had a friend who knew how to tinker the solution... I can't imagine anyone approached it through function. How unstable can an environment be? Great to know your light will dim if the house is burning down. Does anyone assume their lights are going to suddenly start generating strange amounts of heat? Perhaps I'm just flaunting my ignorance?

I think HLG would be smarter if they could justify the shorter warranties by just saying there are ways of handling the board that can damage without clear signs of abuse. Saying diode lines can go out or something, sounds like he is trying to blur the line between manufacturing defect and customer abuse. Now that the subject came up I might call our local consumer protection agency to ask about promising 50000h of life for a product that has a 1y warranty. Probably illegal here.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Led4x4 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 am
Hey guys, new here and just wondering in your opinion which is better for a 4x4x6.5 tent:
https://www.ledgrowing.com/products/equinox-1000 or Chilled's 4x4 grow kit? In canada btw.
hohohohho
guyz we CANNOOOOT compare this equinox ( loool it look like something we are doing in diy, lol hope the price is very low) to chilledgrow light.

one side you have a 3000k double strip hflux with a potentiometer and a pseudo heatsink in other side you have all the knowlege of vitaly the chilledgrow light boss, a pcb with 3 channel: 1 white channel with lm 561c
1 red channel
1 blue /uva channel
the chilledgrowlight pcb are meant to do everything and to get the highest quality product.
the equinox.... you can just build your own for cheaper :)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You might well be right
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Ya, @grisby, I think it's safe to assume the V2 chilled products will grow better. If that's all that matters, you're right, it isn't even a choice.

What many people don't realize is that drivers typically fail before strips.

In a 10yr plan, it would be wise to budget for the replacement of all your drivers as part of preventative maintenance.

In a 5 year plan, it may be wise to just retire the fixtures at the end of term.

Given the continuing advances in the state of the art, 2 5yr plans may be better than one 10yr... When it comes to calculating ROI it gets pretty boring pretty quick.
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:19 pm
Ya, @grisby, I think it's safe to assume the V2 chilled products will grow better. If that's all that matters, you're right, it isn't even a choice.

What many people don't realize is that drivers typically fail before strips.

In a 10yr plan, it would be wise to budget for the replacement of all your drivers as part of preventative maintenance.

In a 5 year plan, it may be wise to just retire the fixtures at the end of term.

Given the continuing advances in the state of the art, 2 5yr plans may be better than one 10yr... When it comes to calculating ROI it gets pretty boring pretty quick.
Grow better as in more yield or better quality?
My end game here is quality, not yield. I'd take a qp of quality before a 1/2lb of quantity.
Sorry for the super late reply. I figured the uniform spread of the equinox would be better?
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That's a good question. Bud quality? I think that's a little different for everyone. What are your quality indicators?

Personally I would still lean toward the chilled V2's simply because they include some UV and far red. We saw a big improvement in trichome production when we added 380 and 740nm,

As far as uniform lighting coverage is concerned, I guarantee the chilled 4x4 is more even than this;
Screenshot_2019-04-11-12-34-18~2.png
Just noticed Rapid now has a Canadian site :mrgreen:

https://rapidledca.com/chilled-logic-4- ... -grow-kit/
Last edited by ATPinMotion on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Run 'em soft
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 pm
That's a good question. Bud quality? I think that's a little different for everyone. What are your quality indicators?

Personally I would still lean toward the chilled V2's simply because they include some UV and far red. We saw a big improvement in trichome production when we added 380 and 740nm,

As far as uniform lighting coverage is concerned, I could do a LOT better than this with 5 V2's in a 4x4

Screenshot_2019-04-11-12-34-18~2.png
I really appreciate your reply, in terms of quality I am going for taste first and then potency. That's why the spectrum difference interests me. I am growing in no-till living soil, so quantity is out of the question. Building my own light won't happen so I'll be buying one. I've heard good things about strip build boards but have found literally zero info regarding chilled's pucks in terms of grow performance. I do notice they have added 660nm as well as a mix of 3000k/4000k which very much interests me. Also, my main plan is/was to have whichever led i go with for FlOWER only and have a smaller prop tent for clones/veg so the full cycle part of the marketing interests me less. Once again thank you for your replies/input it's very much appreciated! /EDIT I'm also not using any co2 supplementation so anything over 550 umol/m2/s isn't needed, not sure what chilled's deliver.
Last edited by Led4x4 on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Led4x4
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Do you mind if I ask your opinion on the fluence spydrx compared to that strip board or chilled's puck setup?
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Cheers! We grow with Living Organic Soil as well. I don't understand the No-Till monacher - conventional (big ag) farmers 'no-till' millions of acres to feed the world, seeding monocultures with state of the art air drills. They 'low-till' even more! How pot farming with organic nutrients became 'no-till' is beyond me!

Apologies, I think we are on the same page, but I had to get that out. The irony is boggling!

I have a few tips;

1. Use a big pot. Using a small pot will not just limit yields but it will increase the likelihood of plants showing nutrient deficiencies. We use 20gal/plant.

2. Don't get too carried away with lights.

Flavour has a lot to do with genetics, drying and curing. Save some capital for a proper drying area. Ideally a dark room/closet/tent at 50% RH and good circulation. Be patient during the cure.

I don't have any experience with the Fluence products. If you take UV A out of the equation it's going to be pretty close. Spydrx will likely provide the most even coverage.

One point of confusion - i have been referencing the chilled YIELD spectrum. I just noticed the growmau5 version may not have any UV...?

Easy to supplement with a flourescent UV bulb though.
Run 'em soft
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 pm

1. Use a big pot. Using a small pot will not just limit yields but it will increase the likelihood of plants showing nutrient deficiencies. We use 20gal/plant.
💜!! I've always love the fish tank analogy.. "the bigger the tank, the easier it is to balance" and it fits for living soil... I see so many IG posts of people having lock outs in under 10 gallons.. double or triple that "tank" size 😁

p.s. I use 30 gal ( 36" x 16" x 14" ) geopots.. one fits nice in a 2x4 or two in a 4x4.. 😁