Troubleshooting Help: Light Output Suddenly Reduced

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
intermediate_noob
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello everyone!

I am in need of a little advice regarding troubleshooting my DIY light (build thread: http://ledgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=467). Just recently my HLG-150H-20A appears to only be putting out 18.5 V to each strip (I tested all but two at various places in the light). There have been no changes to the setup, all of my connections are secure and checked. I am just not sure what is causing it.

Could it be the potentiometer and can I test that with it hooked up? (Assuming just with the voltmeter across the unused terminal and the center to measure the resistance?) I am a noob when it comes to troubleshooting these types of electrical problems so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Could be, I would start with the pot. What kind of output do you get with the pot disconnected?
Run 'em soft
Steveb123321
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

My hlg-185h-20b puts out 18.5V with pot shorted. Hopefully thats the problem.

At 18.5V all 12 of your strips together would only be producing about 20W.
intermediate_noob
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:53 pm
Could be, I would start with the pot. What kind of output do you get with the pot disconnected?
I have not tried it with the pot disconnected as it is soldered to the driver and did not want to remove it without first knowing. I will try to pull it and see what happens.
intermediate_noob
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Steveb123321 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm
My hlg-185h-20b puts out 18.5V with pot shorted. Hopefully thats the problem.

At 18.5V all 12 of your strips together would only be producing about 20W.
Let's hope so, thanks for the info as well.