Using Reflectors with COBs

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Dabby Haze
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I recently saw a post on Rollitup from Timber Grow Lights recommending that people stop using reflectors with Vero 29SE COBs due to reports of melted plastic reflector mounts as well as this statement "Recent integrated sphere testing has shown a loss of almost 8-10% in PAR wattage using the reflectors vs not. Additionally, the light is able to be operated closer to the canopy with even PAR spread." I also noticed that Rapidled quietly stopped selling complete Vero fixtures of any kind and now only sells a limited range of Vero COBs and the only reflector they offer is a glass one.
Why are we not hearing more about this? It sounds like a potential safety issue being pushed aside to make it a light spread issue. I run my COBs without reflectors but I still see a lot of grows using them.
Dabby Haze
gbauto
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

When I first built my fixture, I used Angelina reflectors on my Vero SE for almost a month of constant use with zero issues. I removed them because I found that I was able to get a more uniform PPFD across the canopy.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

A reflector had some issues because of the photons were too much for them, one thing manufacturers do not take into account is heat from photons when they design lenses, hopefully that will be a thing of the past soon. Lenses are good depending on how you grow. I recommend glass when using COBs as it doesn't burn. I also suggest bender and wirth COB holders as the COB holders can also have problems due to excessive photons
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Indiled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I used reflectors for several months 24/0 and they never got warm or showed any sign of melting or light bleaching.
I ended up removing them because coverage was noticeably better without them.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Indiled wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm
I used reflectors for several months 24/0 and they never got warm or showed any sign of melting or light bleaching.
I ended up removing them because coverage was noticeably better without them.
Without a reflector the spread of a COB is around 110 degrees. There are lenses available to spread the beam to 160 degrees, the advantage to a wide beam angle COB with a lens is you can drop it closer to the plants and still gain a more even spread across the canopy. If used correctly this will also protect the COB and it will last longer as it won't be getting contaminated.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik