Samsung sets new Photon Efficacy Level

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am excited to get some of em. They’re probably going to be expensive little buggers.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I think Samsung makes them as cheap as possible, its the people who make value added products that tend to jack prices up.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have been mounting lm561c chips to MCPCBs rather than buy prebuilt fixtures. The real cost of building them is remarkably less than any I found for sale. Even the cheapest Chinese brands would be far more expensive to buy than the amount I spent on components. Not to mention I can't help but think some manufacturers don't use genuine diodes or follow reflow temperature profiles like they claim.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Artificialsun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 am
I have been mounting lm561c chips to MCPCBs rather than buy prebuilt fixtures. The real cost of building them is remarkably less than any I found for sale. Even the cheapest Chinese brands would be far more expensive to buy than the amount I spent on components. Not to mention I can't help but think some manufacturers don't use genuine diodes or follow reflow temperature profiles like they claim.
What type of mpcb's have you been working with? I looked at the starboards, but its hard to do anything large with them
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

174*286*1.6mm aluminum, 288x5630 chips wired 16s18p. It has been a seriously long learning curve but I’m pretty well set up finally and my fabrication is going smoothly, more or less. My cost per board is less than $20, not including heatsinks and drivers.
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Artificialsun wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 am
174*286*1.6mm aluminum, 288x5630 chips wired 16s18p. It has been a seriously long learning curve but I’m pretty well set up finally and my fabrication is going smoothly, more or less. My cost per board is less than $20, not including heatsinks and drivers.
where are you getting the boards? Alibaba vendors don't seem to list bare boards much cheaper than $20, before shipping.
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

They’re from Kingbrite. I wouldn’t want to trust most Alibaba suppliers too much. It is just too hard to verify their claims, but I’m pretty comfortable using their circuit boards.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So do the diodes kinda snap into place like with starboards?
Artificialsun
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I thought my experience with star boards would come in handy but with the 288 boards I had a really hard time getting them right. At least 300 chips sacrificed themselves while I was getting the technique zeroed in. Now that I’ve gotten past that phase they will align themselves to an extent but if they’re outside of exact a wee bit more than they want to be they'll end up FUBAR.