Samsung sets new Photon Efficacy Level

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Artificialsun wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm
They’re from Kingbrite. I wouldn’t want to trust most Alibaba suppliers too much. It is just too hard to verify their claims, but I’m pretty comfortable using their circuit boards.
Cool. I don't know that I want to do many boards with hundreds of emitters each, but I'll keep them in mind if I want to experiment some, in the future. Do you specify the circuitry, or actually send them CAD or Gerber files?
Chiefrunningphist
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

In the spec sheets I've seen they have the exact same electric & optical characteristics as the LM301b's. I think it's just an anti sulphur coating they've added but not certain
Chiefrunningphist
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Artificialsun wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:39 am
I have been mounting lm561c chips to MCPCBs rather than buy prebuilt fixtures. The real cost of building them is remarkably less than any I found for sale. Even the cheapest Chinese brands would be far more expensive to buy than the amount I spent on components. Not to mention I can't help but think some manufacturers don't use genuine diodes or follow reflow temperature profiles like they claim.
How are you doing your stencil?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

would the boards only be good for the lm301b's? I'd really want to make UV, 660, and 730 elements to play with.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You guys need to focus on the bins of the leds, often a company will do a press release but you can not actually buy the bin they have on the press release. I highly doubt kingbright get better bins than HLG, Its can be very difficult for Samsung to replicate bins at times also.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah, no doubt bins matter, quite a lot too... I also wonder about the less famous Samsung chips, if it is not possible to get better performance by using more of a cheaper chip. It's surprising how the market is led by just the name of the strip...

I guess there are three tiers of lm301b products... HLG gets to charge quite a premium for being trustable and having the best bins. With Atreum and DIY builds you usually don't get the bin info, but can save up to 50%. Then buying from China theres an extra layer of insecurities you will have to deal with...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I hate Chinese copy companies. The more people deal directly with China the less money there is for true innovation. Good stuff costs money and not just the initial outlay, There is a lot of time spent and money developing products. China is cheap but in the end dealing with them for a few boards costs everyone. You may think your purchase doesn't matter with innovators but it truly does.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Looks like so far they are dual row and only come in 1 or 2 foot strips.

I'd strongly prefer single row to spread light out more evenly, and 4 foot strips for the economics. 2' strips never seems to be half the price of 4'.

https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/le ... e-linear/#

It will be interesting to see the prices.

I'm not sold on adding far red. Sure plants use far red and it can boot yields, but nothing I've read shows that added far red boosts yields any more than additional light in other colors. Based on the peer reviewed papers I'm reading, light quantity is more important than light quality. Although light quality can affect plant morphology.

Of course I'm very interested to read any peer reviewed papers that show a benefit to far red over additional light in other parts of the spectrum.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Adding the proper red to far red ratios triggers flowering and reduces time to harvest. For most growers that is a good thing to have in the tool box. .
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

yeah kinda weird that he's conflating far red and infrared. I learned that when I took plant physiology and botany in college. But like I said I'd love to see the peer reviewed papers. on any difference in yeild. The difference in harvest in my friends room is about 4-6 days for some strains and no difference for others. Im not against far red or even infrared but I don't want to pay much for it, because I don't see evidence that it gives much back.

I plan to add these to one of my F-series builds as a fun little test,
https://www.rapidled.com/dual-emerson-e ... board-set/

As for these new strips, they are interesting and Im sure the line will be expanded in the future.