Problem with new build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:02 am
You will get more than 12.5A out of that 600H A-type driver. I’ve seen over 14A from my 600H-48A. You won’t get much over rated on your B-type 320s. The lights on the 600 are probably getting significantly more current.
Thank you, I suspected someone would say that. I'm measuring current today. I had planned on only running the strips at 75% max rated current but I k\now see that my heatsinks are capable of keeping the strips just above what Samsung calls "nominal temp" at the current they are being supplied by the 600H A driver.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I still don't understand if I could have used the 320H-C1750 which would have offered more amperage but is 1 volt under the operating voltage of the strips.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I appreciate the help! You guys had little chance of figuring this one out because of assumptions we all had going into it. You see, ya'll probably assumed that I'm not a complete f@c^ing moron. Unfortunately that proved to be false.

I have some excuses but the when it came to wiring these new lights, I kinda went on autopilot and wired them in parallel (like the prototype I had built with a HLG-600H-48B constant voltage driver). I didn't actually wire them myself, I had surgery and wasn't able to strip wires so I had to take advantage of a brief window of help from a fiend, and I just wasn't thinking clearly at the time.

I rewired one of them properly (in series with a HLG-320H-C1400B powering 4 strips each) and it turns out the 3000K strips are now producing more PAR light than the 3500K (according to my apogee MQ500). Also, turns out the HLG-600H-48B wasn't "over-driving" the 3500K strips on the prototype. I fine turned the drivers voltage and amperage pots but they were super close to begin with. Still glad to know that the "A" type drivers are prone to that.

Fortunately this particular mis-wiring was not harmful to the strips or dangerous to people. I got lucky.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my willingness to admit my screw up. Thanks again for the help.