Seoul Semiconductor HE Series - what driver?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesnโ€™t fit elsewhere, put it here.
hcf2012
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have been chatting to Unkle_Psycho about these on another thread.
I now have two which I want to wire in parallel.
So these PCB's are so damn efficient that I am struggling to identify a suitable DC driver.
Here are the electro-optical data from their data sheet:
Capture.JPG
A note at the bottom recommends a constant current source:
Capture.JPG
I am looking on Digikey for a driver that ticks all of the boxes. That is:
  • Constant current of 195mA for a single strip or 390mA for two in parallel
    A voltage range between 32.4 and 34.8V
    A maximum power consumtion of 6.8W
My power source is 220V AC.

Perhaps I would be better off wiring the two strips in series and looking for a constant voltage driver? But the data sheet says stick to constant current....

Can anyone help?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off,

technically yes, running any diode/ strip is better for it in CC.. but if your running around test current it should be a problem.. normally running them over that 75% of max current + the extra heat is where they will fluctuate the most.

I would parallel the two of them on a apc-12-350 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7702565.
or a apc-16-350 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7702569. just under test current at roughly 175ma each ( parallel never perfectly splits in the real world ๐Ÿ˜ ) so one might hit test 195ma at most..

again welcome ๐Ÿ˜
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm using a spare hlg-185h-C1400B (I have 5 of these lying around) with 4 parallel series of 4 strips each. Great warm temp lights!! Way cooler than my f-series Gen 3's in the 3k's for the lumen count - just annoying to work with such low amperage, but on the flip side lots of canopy coverage.

Now just waiting on eb gen 3's hehe
hcf2012
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

HomerPepsi wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:10 pm
I'm using a spare hlg-185h-C1400B (I have 5 of these lying around) with 4 parallel series of 4 strips each. Great warm temp lights!! Way cooler than my f-series Gen 3's in the 3k's for the lumen count - just annoying to work with such low amperage, but on the flip side lots of canopy coverage.

Hi - yeah! It's almost like driver tech isn't keeping up. What's this about eb gen 3's? More efficiency improvements? (Sigh) This is like an arms race.....
hcf2012
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:12 pm
welcome to the forum first off,

technically yes, running any diode/ strip is better for it in CC.. but if your running around test current it should be a problem.. normally running them over that 75% of max current + the extra heat is where they will fluctuate the most.

I would parallel the two of them on a apc-12-350 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7702565.
or a apc-16-350 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/7702569. just under test current at roughly 175ma each ( parallel never perfectly splits in the real world ๐Ÿ˜ ) so one might hit test 195ma at most..

again welcome ๐Ÿ˜
Thanks so much for digging these out. I have ordered one of each to suss out which is the best. The data sheet doesn't give a maximum current. Also it has a lumenoutput vs driving current curve that goes up to near 400mA:
Capture.JPG
But I guess running it higher than test current stresses the diode, creates heat, reduces lifespan, as you say?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

How hard you drive will set the efficiency, heat and lifespan, though heat should not be a problem at those power levels. HE, SE and the industrial line all use the same diodes, but they have different promised efficiencies because the test current was not the same. Thats why I mapped them out by price per diode, so you can see price potential, then power is up to how hard you drive it.

I was thinking of side lighting using two slightly more powerful models in series with this: https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/4866337

This one is pretty cool for low power builds, same efficiency as the one you got though:
https://www.digikey.fi/product-detail/e ... ND/2786526
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

hcf2012 wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm
This is like an arms race.....
cold war... version 2 :lol:
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

hcf2012 wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:23 pm
HomerPepsi wrote: โ†‘
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi - yeah! It's almost like driver tech isn't keeping up. What's this about eb gen 3's? More efficiency improvements? (Sigh) This is like an arms race.....
The 80cri eb gen3 has lower performance then these, especially at warm color temperatures. Need to compare at different currents though, and they might be cheaper.
Vesta gen2 should be arriving too, with way lower efficiency, but a really sexy spectrum @2700k.

Things on the led front will be moving fast for a while.
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:37 pm
Things on the led front will be moving fast for a while.
Hopefully with UV taking a forefront in R&D on the horti side... Would be nice to move away from my Solacure Fluorescent tubes... I am not fond of supremely fragile components, but prefer the logentivity over the newest UV LED tech (which is still in its infancy!).

edit: Also not knocking solacure - best blue light investment made so far to augment the white light.
Last edited by HomerPepsi on Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I think UV is a great place for someone to make an awesome module. Around one watt of 285nm equals 10w of 310nm... For now the understanding on the stress system is kinda digital, its activated or not... perhaps more complex formulas will be found.

It wont really reduce efficiency because one 10mw diode will cover a tent.

Also its going to be hard to incorporate as a part of a board with other chips, because it has at least 5x less life. Could have a replaceable module in a grow light.

Just the UV won't be enough... there are about 1000 grow light manufacturers in the US, who will be desperate to differentiate themselves from the crowd. Hope lots of cool stuff comes out!