320w QB 3000k - for seedlings.

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
that_mildred
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

hello there.

just about to embark on my first ever grow. little concerned regarding growing all the way through with the 320w QB 3000k*. wondering whether i might be better off buying a 2' 4 tube T5 6500k light for the early days and then switch to the QB once the plants are a little bigger.

i will be growing 4 plants from seed in soil in a 1m x 1m x 2m tall tent.

*driver is a meanwell HLG-320H-C2100A. it's got an "ADJ" opening on it, so i guess i can adjust the power of it.

thanks.
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

As you realize, your lights on full blast will provide light for a canopy of 1m², but the total canopy of 4 seedlings after 3 days is about 4cm² :). I think you're better off dimming the QB and lowering it. It's easier than messing around with multiple lights. If you get a Lux meter (not so expensive) it's a bit easier to gauge the light level that the plants are getting. I have a bunch of dimmable lights; I can dim them and lower them until I see 15000 lumens or something. That would be a PAR reading of about 200 with white leds. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using conversion rate *0.0140)
that_mildred
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

thanks for the info.

just downloaded a lux meter for my phone, not certain how accurate it will turn out to be. guess i'll wing it with the QB, if it looks like it's going tits up i can always go get a T5, the hydro shop is quiet nearby.

again, thanks.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I use 18e to make a 40w veg light with 2 eb gen2 strips, and a 88% efficienct Thomas Research Products drivers with parts from digikey.
Dimming seems the natural solution, but if you wanna make a small veg light, just holla. BTW this 40w light is pretty perfect for kitchen herbs for an area around 1.5ft x 3ft. Light still to strong for some salads with that coverage.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I run 100w of Hinflux in my clone tent which is a bit smaller 3x2. Turn it down, lift it up and I reckon you will be fine.
FC