Samsung horticular linears

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:19 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am
So I got through to Samsung, and I'm amazed at how quick they answered. It seems I will be getting a quote for receiving these directly from samsung, since nobody has them in stock.

I took the liberty to say that these would receive some coverage in DIY forums, as there is a lot of interest. They asked more about this, so it seems this might have tickled their interest.

It seems their MOQ is 120pcs. I have a feeling they might allow a smaller order if they like my proposal on how builds or grows would be covered. Is anyone interested in getting their hands on these, and documenting a build or a grow?
Price per strip on 120 units?
Got a quote from digikey, would be 25$ a piece, 3000$ for the lot. Samsung is waiting for me to say what media coverage the strips would get, to proceed with my inquiry. I'll probably also receive a quote from Arrow today.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 am
Rocket Soul wrote:
unkle_psycho wrote:
So I got through to Samsung, and I'm amazed at how quick they answered. It seems I will be getting a quote for receiving these directly from samsung, since nobody has them in stock.

I took the liberty to say that these would receive some coverage in DIY forums, as there is a lot of interest. They asked more about this, so it seems this might have tickled their interest.

It seems their MOQ is 120pcs. I have a feeling they might allow a smaller order if they like my proposal on how builds or grows would be covered. Is anyone interested in getting their hands on these, and documenting a build or a grow?
Got a quote from digikey, would be 25$ a piece, 3000$ for the lot. Samsung is waiting for me to say what media coverage the strips would get, to proceed with my inquiry. I'll probably also receive a quote from Arrow today.
So Samsung is now trying to use you to advertise for them also? Nichia has never once asked me what media coverage they will get out of me and they never would.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Nah, I contacted Samsung sales, and they were reluctant to ship to me. They wanted me to go through their distribution partners.

I told Samsung that digikey said straight up they don't plan on stocking these, and that everyone involved in the purchase is in online forums doing builds. So I suggested that they don't have to think about it as a normal sale, mark it to PR and charge us if you will.
I said I can't really find any info on these strips beyond samsungs own documentation, and I find that a little weired this long after their release.

So the dude seemed to take it positively, and asked me what kind of coverage they can expect. I didn't answer him yet.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:13 am
Nah, I contacted Samsung sales, and they were reluctant to ship to me. They wanted me to go through their distribution partners.

I told Samsung that digikey said straight up they don't plan on stocking these, and that everyone involved in the purchase is in online forums doing builds. So I suggested that they don't have to think about it as a normal sale, mark it to PR and charge us if you will.
I said I can't really find any info on these strips beyond samsungs own documentation, and I find that a little weired this long after their release.

So the dude seemed to take it positively, and asked me what kind of coverage they can expect. I didn't answer him yet.
I just don't see them as being very good, I'm not saying they won't work, everything works if it uses enough electricity, my concern is more about how good it works. I don't trust Samsung at all, I don't believe anything they say. They could do all the studies they like and I still won't believe any of it until I see the disadvantages of the spectrum and no one discusses disadvantages only advantages.

I'm typing this from my galaxy S10+ which is pretty good BTW although I prefer my old S7
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

There is nothing I can say to the defense of a company who would prefer their customer would burn alive, then know of risks in chargers. If Samsung can allow themselves that, I'm sure they can allow themselves anything.

I might pick on details, but I see the standards you set for yourself, and in my mind this gives you the right to apply your standards on others. I have no doubt that an exceptional approach will lead you to exceptional results, and the reputation you deserve :D

I'm still slightly intrigued by the 5700k spectrum, I don't think I would grab 120pcs to test them, but I am very interested on how they might preform.

Last night my US partners contacted me and said if I'm making a larger purchase on something interesting, they can throw a few thousand towards nongeneric strips so I'm going through a lot of options in my mind. If I had already done my high CRI side by sides, I would probably pitch that stuff to them, but their focus in this is still too much in production figures, I have to be a good consultant and find a solution that is perfect for their needs, rather then mine.

For the Americans I am tempted to just recommend the new boards from cutter. I'd want them myself too, but have no clue on where to get QB shaped heatsinks in Europe, so I think I might have to find some alternative solution for me and the Finnish purchaser.

I also have a larger Finnish import company who would be ready for a large order if I could find something to recommend. I was thinking of telling them to get a pile of cutter boards, and a container of heatsinks from china, but feel shipping the heatsinks would take months...
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You would only need a flat plate of aluminum to heatsink the boards, I am sure a local company could drill and tape an aluminum plate to suit the boards.
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:17 pm
I'd want them myself too, but have no clue on where to get QB shaped heatsinks in Europe, so I think I might have to find some alternative solution for me and the Finnish purchaser.
Led-tech.dehas some heatsinks for their QB-Style Boards and ship to FI (15€/free@250€+)
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:43 am
Rocket Soul wrote:
unkle_psycho wrote:

Yikes.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
There is nothing I can say to the defense of a company who would prefer their customer would burn alive, then know of risks in chargers. If Samsung can allow themselves that, I'm sure they can allow themselves anything.

I might pick on details, but I see the standards you set for yourself, and in my mind this gives you the right to apply your standards on others. I have no doubt that an exceptional approach will lead you to exceptional results, and the reputation you deserve :D

I'm still slightly intrigued by the 5700k spectrum, I don't think I would grab 120pcs to test them, but I am very interested on how they might preform.

Last night my US partners contacted me and said if I'm making a larger purchase on something interesting, they can throw a few thousand towards nongeneric strips so I'm going through a lot of options in my mind. If I had already done my high CRI side by sides, I would probably pitch that stuff to them, but their focus in this is still too much in production figures, I have to be a good consultant and find a solution that is perfect for their needs, rather then mine.

For the Americans I am tempted to just recommend the new boards from cutter. I'd want them myself too, but have no clue on where to get QB shaped heatsinks in Europe, so I think I might have to find some alternative solution for me and the Finnish purchaser.

I also have a larger Finnish import company who would be ready for a large order if I could find something to recommend. I was thinking of telling them to get a pile of cutter boards, and a container of heatsinks from china, but feel shipping the heatsinks would take months...
Aloha & The Americans are buying HLG, Artium and Photostrips from Greengene. At $25 each for 120 I do not see many takers if Digikey will not stock Samsung Horticulture Strips in smaller quantities.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Capt. Saicin wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:58 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
I'd want them myself too, but have no clue on where to get QB shaped heatsinks in Europe, so I think I might have to find some alternative solution for me and the Finnish purchaser.
Led-tech.dehas some heatsinks for their QB-Style Boards and ship to FI (15€/free@250€+)
I couldnt really see anything of the right size there... Ive found myself on the site a few times, but always leave confused.