F-series Build question

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have been gifted an HLG-120h-48a (total amps of 2.5a and voltage range of 43-53v) power supply by a friend and I am thinking of using this to add some side lighting. I was wondering if I could use it to power 4 Samsung F strips (3500, 80) wired 2 series, 2 parallel (2s2p). From the samsung calculator it looks like this should max the amps @ 1.25a each (2.5a total) and pull 23.2v each (46.4v total). This would give total wattage of ~116w.

That said would I want to utilize any dimming? I'd ideally like to get 100w of side lighting, so maybe dim the amps a tad to improve the efficacy.

I am still learning how these things work so I would appreciate anyone being able to help verify this build or provide any other comments.

Many thanks.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

If I was doing side lighting I'd take a hard look at Vesta's, that way your not pigeon holed into one color temp and can be used as a stand alone for a small grow, supplemental for veg or flower etc.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:52 pm
If I was doing side lighting I'd take a hard look at Vesta's, that way your not pigeon holed into one color temp and can be used as a stand alone for a small grow, supplemental for veg or flower etc.
This.

The plant orientates towards the highest kelvin light source, even if the warmer light is much more intense. With vestas you can encourage branching and side growth with 5000k or 3800k, then reduce sidewards growth by dropping sides to 2700k.

I do this with my side lights, while my top light is either 3000k EB's, or Vestas @ 3800k.

Now if someone would just stock gen2
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

While I would love to use those, I don't see any with voltages that match my -48a supply. Other than that, does the overall build seem like it would work? I don't want to blow anything up.
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sorry, I was looking at the wrong strips. I see Bridgelux Vestas strips at 26.3v (looking at BXEB-TL-2750G-3000-A-13) but this only brings up more build questions. I presumably could run these 2s2p as well right? It looks like they would be bumping up to the max voltage of the PS (53v) but that's okay with me. But how many amps (at around 26v) would I get running at 5000k in the beginning?

These look really cool (hehe) though.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You'd be maxed out at 1 amp on the 5000K and 1 amp on the 2700k or max 2 amps with both. 2px2s would be perfect.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The first gen vestas are lovely, but the lower efficiency does translate to quite a bit of heat. I could never get myself to run vestas at full blast, 1 amp per channel when running single channel, and 3 amps into 2x2 channels was the hardest I felt comfortable with, and that was already hotter then running EB's at similar power. I havn't had much air movement around the lights though, so more air movement would make a big change there.

The vestas have less wiring options then the other strips I worked with. There is just one + and one - per channel, at opposing ends. Wiring 2s2p would create a hella prettier wiring, and would be my go to solution if I knew I would always run both channels on, but going series between the channels would negate tuning. Series 2700k-2700k and 5000k-5000k would also allow for tuning.

I run the vestas with 88% efficienct 75w TRP drivers. They have 3 ampers and 25v. They cost 10e a piece at Digikey.

Would wait for the next gen though since its already been announced and bumps efficiency from 130lm/w to over 160lm/w.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I think Cutter have some Gen 1 bridgelux boards on clearance for next to nothing if anyone wants to run some soft as side lights. Can't remember the price but they were cheap
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Jack55
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I really like what you all are saying about the Vestas - they sound perfect. I haven't come across any info on the next gen Vesta's - any idea when they would come out? What gen are the 130lm/w? Just trying to get some more info so I can track them myself.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I was reading this thread from the beginning, and feel like I must have been really stoned earlier, when I have been commenting.

Vestas are great, I mean with the tunability and all, but if I get easy access to 90cri 2700k in a cheaper format, I would take it, and set tunability my self. There are good 40w drivers that cost 6e, that could be used with a little high kelvin strips to do the same job.

Any strips that pair with your driver will be fine. If you have more space around the plant you can blast with higher power. If space is limited, its easier when you add more strips and spread the power out.

I saw the new gen3 slimline listed at digikey with an estimated arrival date of the 17th, so I guess they might start rolling in soon.

One real option is the EB gen2 which is on discount now. Especially if you want lots of strip cheap... they don't have anything below 3500k so that might be a problem if your top light is lower K