Bridgelux EB series gen 3 strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 am
http://ledgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4776

Read through this one
That is incredibly interesting. I did not realize you can adjust voltage when running in CC mode. Does this work with the HLG-240h-20?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It works the same with all standard HLG A or AB, same with ELG. I explained this a few times on RIU but there is so much trolling going on there that it's difficult for people to find good information and that's probably nearly everyone with half a brain has left that forum, soon the lighting section will be left with nothing but trolls advertising bullshit lights they want to push.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 am
It works the same with all standard HLG A or AB, same with ELG. I explained this a few times on RIU but there is so much trolling going on there that it's difficult for people to find good information and that's probably nearly everyone with half a brain has left that forum, soon the lighting section will be left with nothing but trolls advertising bullshit lights they want to push.
It is so full of trolls! I don't know what the mods are doing but the whole forum is going to crap. I still love it for the information though. You just have to sift through the crap.

So I think I am missing something. Based on the Datasheet. The driver runs in either CC or CV mode. In CC mode the voltage is a range so the driver can accommodate leds within that range. I do not think the voltage is adjustable in CC mode. What am I missing?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The mods are only interested in money from sponsors, that is all they care about. They do not give a shit about members and they have made that very clear.

There is no constant current or constant voltage mode, it is always constant current but voltage limited.
There has been too much slang regarding how these drivers work. They are all constant current drivers all the time. What happens is they will drop voltage once current goes past a certain point or they will drop voltage if the current requirements are met. They are just normal led drivers. All led drivers work pretty much the same way.
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:27 am
The mods are only interested in money from sponsors, that is all they care about. They do not give a shit about members and they have made that very clear.

There is no constant current or constant voltage mode, it is always constant current but voltage limited.
There has been too much slang regarding how these drivers work. They are all constant current drivers all the time. What happens is they will drop voltage once current goes past a certain point or they will drop voltage if the current requirements are met. They are just normal led drivers. All led drivers work pretty much the same way.
Are you sure about that? I am reading the datasheet and it literally talks about two modes, CC and CV. This information is under driving methods of Led Module. The CC mode has a voltage region of 100% to 50% of the voltage rating of the driver. So if it is HLG-240-20a the voltage rating in CC mode is from 20v to 10v. Is this not correct?

Also, I think I found an error in your logic. If you limit the voltage to the LEDs this will not prevent burning out. When a led dies and the current increases this will cause the Led to heat up and decrease the Vf of the Led. So voltage limiting is not going to protect anything. I may be wrong. Do you have data or a test to back this up?

Thanks man I appreciate it!
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

BirdBare wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:38 pm
TEKNIK wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:00 pm
Good point, I have never built or designed a product to work with high voltage in series, to me it increases the risk of fire and electrical saftey. I have been in the game for 13 years and have always run products in parallel, now more than ever due to tight voltage bins it is safer.
Is parallel really safer? I mean honestly I think the temperature is the scariest thing when running LEDs. In my opinion, high voltage is not an issue as long as you do not touch the connectors. Which you should never do anyway. Heat is produced by amperage, not voltage. Sure you could get a spark, but again you should never be touching the connectors. Preferably, they should be covered with a silicone material. But in the case of LED strips, it may not be necessary because of the wire connectors. Again, please change my mind.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You can limit the hot or cold Voltage and anything in between if you need to so things won't burn out I don't have a set up here to show you how it works right now. All drivers have voltage ranges they work under, as they are a constant current driver it is normal to have a range like you mentioned.
I can't be bothered today reading through the data sheets after working 80 hours this week to give you exact figures but it works and you can set it up with confidence if a strip fails it will not push enough forward current through the other strips to burn them out, the increase is very minor and you would see it and sort it well before a problem occurs. Like with anything led heatsink should always be able to handle more than you are running through the strips, if you set it up right with this it will change by less than 10%
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:12 am
You can limit the hot or cold Voltage and anything in between if you need to so things won't burn out I don't have a set up here to show you how it works right now. All drivers have voltage ranges they work under, as they are a constant current driver it is normal to have a range like you mentioned.
I can't be bothered today reading through the data sheets after working 80 hours this week to give you exact figures but it works and you can set it up with confidence if a strip fails it will not push enough forward current through the other strips to burn them out, the increase is very minor and you would see it and sort it well before a problem occurs. Like with anything led heatsink should always be able to handle more than you are running through the strips, if you set it up right with this it will change by less than 10%
This is cool! So your saying if I have a COB that runs max 1.7A I can connect it to a driver with a max of 10A and it will not burn out? I think I remember reading about this but I don't understand how it works. Can you explain it?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Providing that you can adjust the voltage down to the output voltage of the COB that is correct. The led will not be able to take more current because they can not accept any more voltage, this is the same principle of using resistors to limit current with a constant voltage strip. Heat does play a bit of a role here so you need to make sure that it is set up right but it isn't all that difficult.
If I get time later I will take some photos to show you how things change when they heat up
BirdBare
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:19 am
Providing that you can adjust the voltage down to the output voltage of the COB that is correct. The led will not be able to take more current because they can not accept any more voltage, this is the same principle of using resistors to limit current with a constant voltage strip. Heat does play a bit of a role here so you need to make sure that it is set up right but it isn't all that difficult.
If I get time later I will take some photos to show you how things change when they heat up
What is going on here? A LED is a light emitting diode, which is a semiconductor diode. The Vf comes from the amount of electrons it takes to fill all the holes in the diode so current can flow.

How does an led not accept more voltage? Can someone point me to some research to back this up. Theoretically, voltage would increase with amperage all the way to infinity. I know an LED can be modeled as a non-linear resistor but this sounds crazy. All resistors take more voltage and hence more current until heat destroys them.