Drivers not outputting correct voltage or are my readings wrong?

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 am
Working as intended.
Care to explain more in detail? :roll:
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I tested all again with the other kit and both pots, here's what i got:

Started measuring Voltage: (External dim pot taken off)

Both pots 0% = 42.4V & 56.6W
Both pots 50% = 44v & 162W
Both pots 100% = 45V & 308W

Io @ 100% & Vo @ 45% = 45V & 307W (45V seems to be the max when measuring Voltage w/ boards connected to the driver)
Vo @ 0% & Io @ 40% = 42.9V & 111W

Started measuring Amperage: (External dim pot taken off)

Both pots 0% = 1.05A & 55W
Both pots 50% = 3.11A & 158W
Both pots 100% = 6.27A & 342W

Then i connected my external dim pot in (tested with 2 different pots and both seem to be the same):

All 3 pots (Vo, Io & external) @ 0% = 0.04A & 3W
Vo & Io 0%, external pot 100% = 0.99A & 52W (turning Vo has no effect, jumps a tiny bit to 1.08A when i turn it very little at the bottom)
Vo 0% & Io @ 100% doesn't change the max (0.99A), but turning external pot to 0% stays at 0.45A

Vo & Io @ 50% = 3.13A & 159.5W, external pot @ 0% = 0.22A & 12.5W
Vo & Io @ 100% = 6.12A & 334W, external pot @ 0% = 0.45A & 24.2W
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So it works properly when you have the dim pots disconnected right?
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 pm
So it works properly when you have the dim pots disconnected right?
Shouldn't the voltage be much higher with these drivers? And if the other driver is outputting 6.27A and the other something over 5.9A, then aren't they over much what the datasheets says about their amperage, and UNDER with voltage if it doesn't even adjust to 48V (or even near it in my case)?

And if my QB's are rated to run at 48V 2.7A, then how isn't there gonna be any problems with them?

I wish i understood what's going on :D
Last edited by Blussum on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You purchased a knock off but even still voltage won't hit 48V. About 45V is normal
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 pm
You purchased a knock off but even still voltage won't hit 48V. About 45V is normal
Why the driver doesn't push more than 45V? Why don't the adjusting ranges match with the datasheet? How much amperage i can safely even feed these boards if the voltages aren't even what advertised?

Ive never heard anyone else having problems with these boards, Kingbrite usually sells these kind of kits with hlg-248-48b drivers that should be fixed @ 48V (if i'm not wrong about those drivers) and just an external dimmer shipped with them. Saw someone posting they got near 260w with their kit.

Maybe you can explain more in detail.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Disconnect the dim pots and make sure the wires do not touch each other, turn the voltage adjustment on the driver to full, turn the amperage adjustment on the driver to full. That's all you do.
If they are still not pushing out as much current as you want then contact kingbrite about it. I have no idea what kingbrite do, there is a risk with purchasing from alibaba companies, contact them and see what they have to say
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The driver putting out 6.2A when rated at 5.0A is classic underspeced mean well, happens all the time. You're getting 300W from each, that's sweet.

That you don't hit 48V is also normal, the driver is giving exactly what the LEDs need. It's advertised as 48V so that people go out and buy a 48V driver, not a 36V or 24V driver. It's a nominal voltage, actual voltage varies with current.

Kingbright is a knockoff company, their specs aren't going to be high quality. Compare their statement of "48V, 2.7A" with how HLG specs an authentic QB288:
https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/p ... ntum-board

So turn up Vo to the max and leave it alone, then turn Io to whatever power level you want, and you're golden.
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm
Disconnect the dim pots and make sure the wires do not touch each other, turn the voltage adjustment on the driver to full, turn the amperage adjustment on the driver to full. That's all you do.
If they are still not pushing out as much current as you want then contact kingbrite about it. I have no idea what kingbrite do, there is a risk with purchasing from alibaba companies, contact them and see what they have to say
I don't think it would be smart to turn both pots to the full and just run the boards there without the external pot pulling 270W+ (the external pots doesn't make pretty much any difference anyway), wouldn't the boards fry out quicker and be very inefficient? I think i should run them much easier since i was already planning to run the whole setup slightly easier than 500W (growing in a 4x4 tent). I still need to figure out how to adjust the power/height to seedling/early veg stage because i already have seeds in soil waiting to pop out.
Shimbob wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm
The driver putting out 6.2A when rated at 5.0A is classic underspeced mean well, happens all the time. You're getting 300W from each, that's sweet.

That you don't hit 48V is also normal, the driver is giving exactly what the LEDs need. It's advertised as 48V so that people go out and buy a 48V driver, not a 36V or 24V driver. It's a nominal voltage, actual voltage varies with current.

Kingbright is a knockoff company, their specs aren't going to be high quality. Compare their statement of "48V, 2.7A" with how HLG specs an authentic QB288:

So turn up Vo to the max and leave it alone, then turn Io to whatever power level you want, and you're golden.
Ahh that would make sense to me. How would you adjust them to very early stage veg (height & output)?
Blussum
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:30 pm

Btw shouldn't lm301b diodes run higher voltage tho with qb288's? 16x18 diodes in one board. Like shouldn't the forward voltage be higher with these when HLG shows much higher voltages even tho they use "top bin" diodes?