F-series double strips first build F564B S07

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Shkronis
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last night Santa in the brown uniform brought me new toys!
When I place an order 3000K was sold out, so I went after 10x 3500K - now I'm motivated to add photo and far reds XP-E's for Emerson on the separate driver. 5 strips per HGL-240H-48B with 2'079" heat sinks. After seeing how QB actually slightly burnt my GG at 12 inches - I'm very excited about this build that will cost me ~$1 per watt. :D
Attachments
IMG_20171113_161513.jpg
IMG_20171113_161513.jpg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 1161 times
IMG_20171113_164908.jpg
IMG_20171113_164908.jpg (4.12 MiB) Viewed 1163 times
IMG_20171113_164948.jpg
IMG_20171113_164948.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 1163 times
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Very cool, glad to see that you got the heatsinks from Heatsink USA. That is going to be alot of light for very little $$$.
Shkronis
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 pm
Very cool, glad to see that you got the heatsinks from Heatsink USA. That is going to be alot of light for very little $$$.
These heat sinks are great! It cost cheaper than regular aluminum tubes from HD for me and just as much as aluminum angles.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Yes!!!! Man, even seeing OTHER people's stuff come in gets me hyped.

By my calculations, if you run one of those drivers wide open with current and voltage maxed, the most you should be able to get is 5.4A, which split 5 ways should be 1.1A each, or 61% of max, so you've got a great match there. Those heat sinks look really nice too. I'm excited to see this build come together :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Shkronis wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm
Ted wrote:
These heat sinks are great! It cost cheaper than regular aluminum tubes from HD for me and just as much as aluminum angles.
When I did the math I was surprised how affordable the heatsinks are from heatsinkusa. They are based out of Michigan, so they might ship to the land north of the wall.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Shkronis wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:38 pm
Ted wrote:
When I did the math I was surprised how affordable the heatsinks are from heatsinkusa. They are based out of Michigan, so they might ship to the land north of the wall.
I should clean them out and then resell them to the rest of the wildlings.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Shkronis
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around parallel wiring with these guys. So, if I hook up only 1 strip to the driver - will it push 5A or it will limit the current somehow? :(
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Shkronis wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 am
I'm still trying to wrap my head around parallel wiring with these guys. So, if I hook up only 1 strip to the driver - will it push 5A or it will limit the current somehow? :(
If you hook up only 1, you need to be very careful with the voltage of the driver. Use the calculator to figure out what voltage you need to set it to in order to make it draw “X” amount of current. If you run it wide open, you could cook it.

Have you read this thread? Lots of relevant questions and answers.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223

The short answer is that in parallel, LEDs will demand a set amount of current at a given voltage and you are the one that gets to choose that voltage by adjusting the driver. As you increase the circuit’s voltage, the LEDs wiil demand more current. You need to set the driver to output a certain voltage to make sure the LED doesn’t demand too much current. This is the opposite of constant current setups, where you have control over the current and it is the voltage that varies on each LED.

The driver will only put out as much current as the strip wants. You have to dial that in by adjusting the voltage of the driver. You could have a driver that does 1,000,000 amps but as long as you set your voltage right, that strip will only pull what you want it to.

Shkronis
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 am
Shkronis wrote:
If you hook up only 1, you need to be very careful with the voltage of the driver. Use the calculator to figure out what voltage you need to set it to in order to make it draw “X” amount of current. If you run it wide open, you could cook it.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223

The short answer is that in parallel, LEDs will demand a set amount of current at a given voltage and you are the one that gets to choose that voltage by adjusting the driver. As you increase the circuit’s voltage, the LEDs wiil demand more current. You need to set the driver to output a certain voltage to make sure the LED doesn’t demand too much current. This is the opposite of constant current setups, where you have control over the current and it is the voltage that varies on each LED.

The driver will only put out as much current as the strip wants. You have to dial that in by adjusting the voltage of the driver. You could have a driver that does 1,000,000 amps but as long as you set your voltage right, that strip will only pull what you want it to.
Got ya, thank you. Since it's a 48V driver I gotta drop couple of volts down and i'm good then! :D
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Shkronis wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:40 pm
LEDG wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 am
Shkronis wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223

Got ya, thank you. Since it's a 48V driver I gotta drop couple of volts down and i'm good then! :D
Yessir!