660nm Showdown

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hi everyone, I have been pretty busy the past 6 months but I thought I would post some of the test results for the 660nm leds I have been testing.
I have seen a few arguments as to what is better around and the big 2 names Cree and Osram have been in dispute as to what is better.
I tested the top of the range in both brands as well as my own 660nm.
Conclusion is the Cree won but only just, the difference is very very minimal between the top of the top and it's enough for me to say they are the same. My own chips came last out of the 3 I was testing but not by much. The results are so close between them all that I would say that they are all the same base led but in different packages. Mine are the LT leds.

I will put some pictures up of them at different currents. Need to remember that the voltages are different between the tests so you need to read it all carefully to work out which is the best
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

350mA ish
20200115_134935.jpg
20200115_134957.jpg
20200115_134911.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

500mA ish
20200115_133957.jpg
20200115_133938.jpg
20200115_133910.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

700mA ish
20200115_135632.jpg
20200115_135652.jpg
20200115_135714.jpg
TheOther
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Quite a bit of work in those charts.
Like you said, they all really perform well.

What's the plan for these 660nm LT?
Strips or parts for a light assembly?

470nm up next?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Next I am hoping to do some mid powers, waiting on the new Nichia to begin mass production so I can test to see how they stack up to Samsung.
I will make some products out of the LT-660nm and may sell some to other companies if they want to save some money and pass that onto their customers.
I'm a bit of an unknown brand and that will make some hesitate but people that know me don't have a problem with things I supply.
To me if it does the right job then better to save some money.
In the end even the big companies are just packaging someone elses product and often they don't even do the packaging themselves and get another company in China to do it, taking out the big brand name is all I am doing differently.
TheOther
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 am
In the end even the big companies are just packaging someone elses product and often they don't even do the packaging themselves and get another company in China to do it, taking out the big brand name is all I am doing differently.
Nice to see the engineering work going in behind the concept.
There is definitely going to be expanding market space as N America and EU move forward.
ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks for all your efforts and reporting of the test results! :)

After reading Bugbee's latest research on cannabis specifically, I'd be interested in 700-750nm boards, but not 660nm. Lots of research showing significant benefits from FR, but not much from just extra red.

What do you have planned in the FR spectrum, @TEKNIK ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I have tested Cree and my version of the 730nm
Cree is slightly better but not enough to make a big deal out of

It has been well known for many years the benefit of running 730nm but it can have side effects if your spectrum isnt balanced

730nm works with 660nm but you need a few other things inline to stop undesirable effects such as excessive stretch

I am yet to see Bugbee tell me anything new, if you have a link to what he is on about now I wouldnt mind a read.
He just seems to ramble on about things that were discovered over 10 years ago whenever I watch his videos
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Just an update with this, A couple of weeks ago the Osram distributor contacted me and sent a new data sheet on the 660nm that is 10% higher efficiency than the ones I tested here.
I will test them once they become available and get some samples.

This new led puts Osram in front by alot, it will be interesting to see the price of them and how the performance to cost ratio works out.
Although the data sheet states the performance I really do not trust any led manufacturers as when I test a product it is always alot lower than they claim.
Saying that its usually a pretty even difference in percentage between my tests and theirs so as I have tested the other bins I can work out what the difference will likely be before testing for myself

https://dammedia.osram.info/media/resou ... .24_EN.pdf