Does this check out for a 2x4 area?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I wonder if I was to buff the bottom of it that would help reflect light. I could get a mirror finish out of it im just not sure if it would be worth the effort.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So long as the surface is perfectly flat it will be fine. If your strips are not touching the heatsink then they won't work. One good thing about running extra strips means it's not a big deal if you run enough of them.

It looks pretty heavy duty.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

It's fairly flat, maybe a bit warped from heat. I'm sure the strips will have enough give if secure them well. That and I will be using thermal compound. I have a bunch of it left over from pc builds.

Yes it's heavy. I will add some snatch blocks for raising and lowering if it's too much.

So far I got 12 strips coming. Decided to go with a larger driver so I can add more later on or play around with driving them harder.
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Wow nice, that looks sturdy af. I'm doing a similar build. I'm jealous. Scrap aluminum is pricey where I am at. It was cheaper for me to just order extrusions from heatsinkusa.
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks. It's not the prettiest thing it should work for my needs though. Yeah I'm lucky, scrap yards the average joe can pillage are a dying bread.
Last edited by Roost on Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Well I made the idiot mistake of ordering a non dimmable driver. So either I attempt to return it or order more strips. Currently It would be running each strip at 1.1a. Not ideal im sure.

TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Easier to buy more strips than return the driver
Roost
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

That's what I was thinking. Would 320watts running at nominal be over doing it for a 2x4?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Not over doing it. You may need to learn how to deal with that much light but it's not going overboard. I have supplied people with lights far more powerful that that.
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Roost wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:07 am
Well I made the idiot mistake of ordering a non dimmable driver. So either I attempt to return it or order more strips. Currently It would be running each strip at 1.1a. Not ideal im sure.

I'm no expert by any means. Far from it. That is why I ran my build plans by an electrician engineer at my job. He told me that you can easily attach a resistor, potentiometer or reostat to the line to fine tune the juice. I paid more for the b-type, but it is apparently just to make it more plug-and-play. I do not know enough about electrical witchcraft to tell you how to do it. But someone on here probably does.
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.