Looking for advice for small BXEB slim gen 3 build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

That's awesome. Yeah you definitely have a niche. I poured over digikey awhile ago, and was disheartened by the lack of violet LED's. I am between a few randoms in the 405 range, or just giving up and using some 7-8k whites. I don't understand why there are not more reliable companies doing this. They would have a huge niche for tissue culture labs. Culture lighting walks a fine line between sterility and rapid cell division.

Do you work for a firm or are you contracted?
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I work for myself. I have 2 lighting companies and it keeps me pretty busy.

This is an alternative to using Mono leds which are usually high power. It's a simple solution for manufacturers to add in instead of designing a new PCB to add in near UV

This is the spectrum of the led on it's own. It's designed to blend into standard midpower whites and that's why you see it tail into the green
20200211_152047.jpg
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Wow. I have yet to see anything close to that. Are there monos that you would recommend for someone doing diy to bolster that end? I'm soldering these supplementals into starboards right on my 4.5ft heatsinks between my strips to try to shift things in that direction. But even without a readout I'm guessing I'm going to have a massive dip in my 400-450nm curve.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

RadRiverOtter wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:31 am
Wow. I have yet to see anything close to that. Are there monos that you would recommend for someone doing diy to bolster that end? I'm soldering these supplementals into starboards right on my 4.5ft heatsinks between my strips to try to shift things in that direction. But even without a readout I'm guessing I'm going to have a massive dip in my 400-450nm curve.
Cutter has some of these that they should be able to mount on star boards for you, no idea of what they will cost. These are a pricey 3030 but not as pricey as a normal mono
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Which These?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

They won't be on the website, I gave them 1000pcs to make some strips for someone and they will have plenty left over. If you email them they may work something out
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Hey @Teknik I heard once that photographers use those kind of blue lights that taper off into green (instead of pure blue diodes). It supposedly adds a blue fresh daylight "glow" that you can't get any other way and I believe it. The result I saw was really nice. Blue mono diodes looked significantly worse. Sounds like what you have there, but it's long ago that I saw it and I'm not sure if it's as close to UVA. Maybe you can find something in the photography lighting world
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

0 to 220 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 am
Hey @Teknik I heard once that photographers use those kind of blue lights that taper off into green (instead of pure blue diodes). It supposedly adds a blue fresh daylight "glow" that you can't get any other way and I believe it. The result I saw was really nice. Blue mono diodes looked significantly worse. Sounds like what you have there, but it's long ago that I saw it and I'm not sure if it's as close to UVA. Maybe you can find something in the photography lighting world
Interesting about the green. I've been doing some research on sky spectrum, and (while ordering a whole bunch of different LED's) grabbed a bunch of lime greens, dark greens, photo/far/infrared and royal blue monos on stars. Turns out the hyperviolet on their page peak's at 420nm... Too bad I only bought one. :lol: not enough to fill it out, but at only $5 a star, might be worth ordering more...

Anyways, back to sky simulation, I purchased a bunch of lime green LED's to add to my 455nm corner cobs that I wired up roughly last night, and I have to say, it cuts the edge off the blue quite nicely and warms it up a bit (even though you can still tell the emission is green and blue). It'd be nice to have a radio spectrometer from 200nm to 1000nm that could produce histograms. Anyone know where to source a cheap device that can out put a graph?
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 am
They won't be on the website, I gave them 1000pcs to make some strips for someone and they will have plenty left over. If you email them they may work something out
Thanks I'll reach out to them up and see what they say. How should I refer to the diodes? "Teknik's super violet 3030 LED's"?
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

IMG_11022020_185635_(1080_x_810_pixel).jpg
Just received the last pieces of the puzzle today for my strip build. Well almost.. @TEKNIK lured me with additional extra shiny things.

Has anyone used an inline ammeter for dialing in the current?

I realize I can do this with a multimeter, but I think it will be nice to monitor it. Especially if I want to make any minute changes.
Last edited by RadRiverOtter on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.