First build with EB3 90cri Strip

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
GreenHawaiianGardens
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am powering both with 320s

4ft with

(2) ‎HLG-320H-C700B‎
LED DRVR CC AC/DC 214-428V 700MA

2ft with

(1) ‎HLG-320H-20B‎
LED DRVR CC/CV AC/DC 10-20V 15A

I was about to order all three from DK.
They offer way better shipping to Hawaii.

I feel like both drivers will work well for my application. Obviously have to wire them differently but I can handle that np. If 2 drivers are fc and 1 driver is fv would I be able to use the same dimmer for all 3 drivers? Also I want to be able to dim the lights from my android phone. Any recommendations?

Aloha
sprout
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi there,

I just ordered BXEB-L1120Z27G4000-C-C3 as well, 20 of them for my 4x4. Can you help me out with the wiring? I'm about to get the Meanwell HLG-600H-42AB as it's cheaper here than two smaller ones (plus I get dat controllable I and V). Do you have any plans for protection against runaway? Fuses? Maybe it doesn't matter with 20 strips though.

Cheers
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

GreenHawaiianGardens wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:33 am
I am powering both with 320s

4ft with

(2) ‎HLG-320H-C700B‎
LED DRVR CC AC/DC 214-428V 700MA

2ft with

(1) ‎HLG-320H-20B‎
LED DRVR CC/CV AC/DC 10-20V 15A

I was about to order all three from DK.
They offer way better shipping to Hawaii.

I feel like both drivers will work well for my application. Obviously have to wire them differently but I can handle that np. If 2 drivers are fc and 1 driver is fv would I be able to use the same dimmer for all 3 drivers? Also I want to be able to dim the lights from my android phone. Any recommendations?

Aloha
Hmmm... wiring 10 of those 4’ strips in series is going to be too much voltage I think. The connectors are probably only rated for 300V and having that high of a voltage is scary.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
GreenHawaiianGardens
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hmmm... wiring 10 of those 4’ strips in series is going to be too much voltage I think. The connectors are probably only rated for 300V and having that high of a voltage is scary.
[/quote]

Rajah dat. DC is no joke either. Good call I was so excited about this whole new world I did not think about the connectors. Hopefull DK will be cool about changing my order. Ok now that I have my 1 noob move out of the way. On to bigger and better things.

LEDG you been very helpful thus far. Aloha for that one!

I want to start on a veg light. This will be in a 4x2 tent so the 4ft strips should work well. Should I just use the same setup change the K on the strips to say 5k? Also I get the basics of CRI but is there some good reading you can point me to. Or just my old homie google?

Aloha Saturday my man
ganjah
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm a novice too, but from what I've read in the recent scientific literature, I don't think there's a lot of value in using a high K LED light for veg anymore. For me, 4000k is probably the absolute max.

My reasoning is that all of these midpower white LED diodes have a fair amount of blue in them already even at warm color temps, so they naturally keep plants pretty short, squat and bushy. Too much blue from the higher K lights ends up stunting the growth, whereas red / far red encourages faster growth and bigger leaves.

In flower we want mostly red and far red, but we still want mostly red for veg too. There's a happy medium in there somewhere that promotes big vigorous growth while also keeping stretch manageable. I find I get the best production from plants that have good space between nodes but aren't viney or overly stretchy.

If I were you, for veg I'd build a 3500 or 4000k EB3 strip light with roughly half the wattage or half the strips of your flowering build. Veg doesn't need super high photon count to flourish and, for a home grower or even a caregiver level of production, you'll be fine with not overdoing it in veg.

In terms of cri, we choose 90cri and very warm color temp for flowering because it has a lot of extra red and far red compared to the 80cri variants, but at the cost of 20-25% less efficiency. For veg, you'd want to prefer the extra efficiency of the 80cri strips. Again, 3500k or 4000k would be plenty.

An ideal veg setup for me would be 6 80cri 4ft EB3 strips in 3500 or 4000k for each 4x2 space run off one 240h-42a driver at 75-100% of max on the built-in pot. Attach strips to angle aluminum like the builds here all recommend, instead of using heatsinks.

That's just my novice opinion and I'm open to reconsidering it if new data comes to light. :) Best of luck on your build!
sprout
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
Oh I did not read those updated driver specs right. Anything to be said against running 20 x 4' strips in parallel on an HLG-600H-42AB? Do I need thermal runaway protection of some sort or is there no danger running things soft if one module fails?
Working in PV I guess you are familiar to high voltages OP but I'd rather keep those sparks from flying with my limited knowledge :D
GreenHawaiianGardens
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sprout wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:44 pm
LEDG wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
Oh I did not read those updated driver specs right. Anything to be said against running 20 x 4' strips in parallel on an HLG-600H-42AB? Do I need thermal runaway protection of some sort or is there no danger running things soft if one module fails?
Working in PV I guess you are familiar to high voltages OP but I'd rather keep those sparks from flying with my limited knowledge :D
If you run your driver at a fixed voltage then you should be ok. If you own a multimeter, you can dial in the current to 700ma that is nominal for these strips.

The AB drivers let you adjust current or voltage. This can come in handy if you own a meter you can dial the system in.
sprout
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

GreenHawaiianGardens wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:32 pm

If you run your driver at a fixed voltage then you should be ok. If you own a multimeter, you can dial in the current to 700ma that is nominal for these strips.

The AB drivers let you adjust current or voltage. This can come in handy if you own a meter you can dial the system in.
The AB was cheaper than the A so that decision was easy. I have a multimeter and I just ordered a DC clamp meter with ok precision that I can also use for car stuff. With the 20 strips in parallel will I just have to dial it back to 14 from the max of 14,3A on the driver then?

Thanks man, I'm stoked! Can't wait for everything to arrive. Just got to make my mind up about the grow itself (first :oops: ). Screen of green, maybe dare a hydro build? I did stuff with pumps and water cycling for a rainforest terrarium before so I might try. Want to go step by step though and test everything. Lamps first :idea: 8-) :idea:
GreenHawaiianGardens
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yea You! I would maybe only change one thing at a time. Since you are swapping to LED run with the medium you are most comfortable with. If the grow goes as expected, now it's time for some hydro.