Humble beginnings

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
Autodev
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I wanted to document my automation journey to get some input as I go. I got Home Assistant installed via Virtual Box image on my Mac. My first integration was some cheap off brand amazon sockets (TanTan?). Turns out their app is a rebranded Smart Life/Tuya app and I was able to set them up on Tuya app and use the Tuya integration. Using it for my drip system pumps, it's nice to have the log of how long I am watering for now that they are on Home Automation to help me dial in drip times. The Tuya app only lets me schedule the sockets down to the minute, my next step will be scheduling them through Home Assistant and getting down to the second. I eventually want to look at something like the Sonoff 31s (thoughts on Tasmota vs Sonoff Lan?) so I can monitor energy as well.

After that I will try to integrate these cheap Govee temp/humidity sensors that I already have, but looks like I will have to do a bit more setup on the server to get that working.

Longer term I want to look at pwm/dimming (temp/humidity based on the ac infinity fan and leds to experiment with different spectrums), automating the filling of my res, and whatever other ideas I come up with over time.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Nice! Eager to see what you come up with. Did you just-just get up and running with Home Assistant or have you been using it awhile? I just bought some MOSFETs from digikey to try and improve my ACInfinity PWM integration.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Autodev
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hadn’t heard of home assistant till this past weekend. The setup and socket Setup was done over 2-3 days here and there after fighting running the docker container locally.

I’ll have to google up on pwm and mosfet, thanks for the lead! I did my first solder job ever about a month ago, potentiometers on meanwell drivers, your video series was a huge help!
Autodev
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I’m Interested in the integration of ppm/ec monitoring as well, but I’m currently running organic soil and enjoy not having to deal with it. I am considering dtw coco (or at least supplementing soil with chem nutes) tho as cranking up my leds has led to light green/skinny new growth with signs of chlorosis and top leaf spotting. Im hoping dialing in a higher ppm/added cal mag might help.

Depending on what I end up doing there, I’ll be prioritizing or deprioritizing that aspect of it. I’ll be Interested in what you have to say about that alternative sensor (I think it was you mentioned that In a different post)
Autodev
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Spent quite some time this past week playing around with esp and home assistant.

I switched from a VM on my Mac to a raspberry pi as a main server, so far so good.

I had some cheap amazon gosund wp3 plugs that I hadn’t set up yet, so before setting up with home assistant I used the pi to run the tuya convert scripts and flash those sockets with tasmota. I found some tasmota template for tantán wp3 as the gosund wp3 template didn’t work.

Your mileage may vary as they have started using Realtek chips in some devices. I tried it on some plugs I had already set up through the app; but the update wouldn’t go through (at least I didn’t brick them)

I tried the watering manifold/system I detailed in a other thread but ran in to some technical issues.

Not sure what I want to tackle next, it I think having run off ppm numbers along with input ppm charted, that would make me happy, putting it in to a home assistant dashboard would be nice as well.
mike84
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

this is where i found templates for my plugs after flashing them with tasmota

https://templates.blakadder.com/index.html