One 480w driver or two 240s?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Wookie
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Does either or these options have a distinct advantage over the other in terms of efficiency and power?

Would I be better buying a 480w driver vs 2 x 240s?

Thanks
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Wookie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:45 am
Does either or these options have a distinct advantage over the other in terms of efficiency and power?

Would I be better buying a 480w driver vs 2 x 240s?

Thanks
Its generally cheaper to buy 2 240w drivers
The XLG 240 drivers are dirt cheap if it suits your set up also
The other advantage to 2 drivers is if one fails you dont loose your entire light.
I prefer the meanwell HLG 240 drivers but it depends on the configuration.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Wookie
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks as always Tek. Could you expand on that please.

What do you mean by "suits my setup" about the XLG?

And again, what do you mean by "depends on configuration" ?

I a splitting the fixture if that's what you mean re' the second question, so it will essentially be two 240s hung together.

Thanks again dude
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I would go HLG480w all day no question.
The higher efficiency is the equivalent of an extra flux bin on the LEDs. That is all I would need to know personally to make the decision and is the advatage over either 240w drivers mentioned in this thread.
HLG240's don't dim to off...xlg's do so if going that route get xlg's for lower wattage. But that efficiency difference is what I wouldn't give up.
And as for redundancy...if one goes out you are only limping along at best...still need to get it replaced right away. If anything having the whole thing go out would kick your ass in gar to get it replaced instead of thinking you could get by for a day or two more.
Efficiency is king...you pay for watts. Efficiency of the build..time and extra parts =more cost and points of failure.

1 hlg480 is also $1-2 cheaper than 2 hlg240's at almost every vendor.
https://octopart.com/search?q=hlg240h-c ... SD&specs=0
https://octopart.com/search?q=hlg480h-c ... SD&specs=0
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Dim to off is a good point regarding the 480W
I havent been following pricing all that closely lately seems the 480W has dropped a bit, they are pretty expensive from the meanwell distributor here.

By system configuration I'm referring to the forward voltage and current.

I will be doing some comparisons between the XLG range and HLG range also inventronics EUM and EUD range over the next month regarding efficiency.
I know what the data sheets say but I want to check it myself. Once tested I will post my findings.

Inventronics want to make me an international distributor for them to compete with meanwell so I want to make sure its worth while before I do it.
Ive always preferred inventronics over meanwell because of the functionality, also not so long ago meanwell did have alot of quality control issues but they have that sorted out now.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Wookie
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks very much for that. Good info as always
Jshippo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Im pretty pressed for space so i bought 2, 240w and made my build so i can seperate it and use it as 2 smaller lights if needed.. just thought id share
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Nice man. Being modular is a great benefit to have.
Happy growing!