Need driver advice for EB Gen3 Strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 pm
Ganjedi wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:37 am
Also would it more sense to make 2 fixtures with 2 drivers so that if one fixture stops working for whatever reason , I have the other one to rely on ?
Since replacing/buying new driver would take a long time with overseas shipping ?

If the 2 fixture setup sounds good and more reliable so that my grow doesnt stop abruptly then I can consider buying a few m
Upto you there, the HLG range from meanwell is pretty reliable now days. I would expect some faults with the XLG because they are new and alot cheaper. I get about 1 in 1000 to 1 in 2000 HLG drivers failing over the past 5 years. Upto 320W they are pretty stable.
If you wanted your lights more modular and built 2 smaller lights then its worthwhile using 2 drivers.
That is assuring , I guess I'll go with the HLG 320H42-B then.
Ended up ordering 12 of EB Gen3 3000K 90CRI 4feet strips few hours ago , the shipping was a pain .... 82Euros for shipping alone almost as much as the strips cost :(
Should I stick to 10 strips on this HLG 320H42-B driver or 12 would be better ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

12 is better
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@TEKNIK Thanks a ton brother !

Can you please suggest me what else I need to order from Arrow or Digikey along with the driver ? Would be nice to get as many things together as possible since finding them locally is going to be a problem.

Also will I be needing heatsink in this build ? (the temperature where I live ranges from 20C to 33C)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Ganjedi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:32 am

Can you please suggest me what else I need to order from Arrow or Digikey along with the driver ? Would be nice to get as many things together as possible since finding them locally is going to be a problem.

Also will I be needing heatsink in this build ? (the temperature where I live ranges from 20C to 33C)
You will need a dimmer pot and some wires to connect it all as well as a frame, I dont have a list of components for you and dont have time to search digikey to find it all at the moment, sorry about that
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:51 am
Ganjedi wrote:

You will need a dimmer pot and some wires to connect it all as well as a frame, I dont have a list of components for you and dont have time to search digikey to find it all at the moment, sorry about that
No worries thx a lot already :)

Some bad news , just got a mail from the seller saying theres some problem and that they cant complete my order ... So now ended up ordering 20x EB Gen3 3000K 90CRI 2Feet Strips - BXEB-L0560Z-30G2000-C-C3 , its a back order or something like that for next month ... Hope this time the strips get through ! So now the question is , am I still getting the HLG 320H42-B driver with 20x 2feet strips ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Ganjedi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:26 pm
TEKNIK wrote:
Ganjedi wrote:

Some bad news , just got a mail from the seller saying theres some problem and that they cant complete my order ... So now ended up ordering 20x EB Gen3 3000K 90CRI 2Feet Strips - BXEB-L0560Z-30G2000-C-C3 , its a back order or something like that for next month ... Hope this time the strips get through ! So now the question is , am I still getting the HLG 320H42-B driver with 20x 2feet strips ?
You can use the same driver if you run 2 strips in series and 10 in parallel to keep the voltage the same.
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:37 pm
Ganjedi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:26 pm
TEKNIK wrote:

You can use the same driver if you run 2 strips in series and 10 in parallel to keep the voltage the same.
I havent bought any driver yet , so to specifically get a driver for :
2 fixtures of 10x 2ft strips on each driver I should be getting the HLG-120H-20B / HLG-120H-24B / HLG-150H-20B / HLG-150H-24B (which one)
1 fixture of 20x 2ft strips on one driver I should be getting the HLG-240H-20B / HLG-240H-24B / HLG-320H-20B / HLG-320H-24B (which one)

I have absolutely 0 electrical knowledge but since I started doing research for making this light I think I'm going in the right direction with this ? Or am I totally off ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you want efficiency then 15W per 2ft strip is what to aim for.
HLG-150-20B is the right choice for 10 strips. No heatsinks will be required just a frame.
I have seen you on RIU also asking about all of this, dont get yourself overloaded with information.

Keep it simple as possible especially if it is your first build. You will learn once you have done your first build and be better at it next time.
Meanwell is changing alot of driver options at the moment so if you can find the right driver it will be easier. What ever you decide if you make the simple wiring connections right your light will grow and be better than anything you can buy off the shelf.
Ganjedi
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:27 am
If you want efficiency then 15W per 2ft strip is what to aim for.
HLG-150-20B is the right choice for 10 strips. No heatsinks will be required just a frame.
I have seen you on RIU also asking about all of this, dont get yourself overloaded with information.

Keep it simple as possible especially if it is your first build. You will learn once you have done your first build and be better at it next time.
Meanwell is changing alot of driver options at the moment so if you can find the right driver it will be easier. What ever you decide if you make the simple wiring connections right your light will grow and be better than anything you can buy off the shelf.
First I started off making a thread here (did some research and found out that you <TEKNIK> seemed best person to take advice from and waited a few days and got 0 replies , then I deleted that thread and made this thread and also made one on RIU along with it with less talking and only the information I need . Then finally started getting help here and RIU together , so couldn't really keep people hanging on RIU who were trying to help me :?

I kept thinking about my setup last night and finally decided it would be better to go for 1 fixture of 20x 2feet strips on a single driver since even if I decide to extend or go for a bigger grow area in the future it would be another 2x4 or 4x4 all together so it would be better to make one 2x4feet fixture instead of going for two 2x2 fixtures. So now this brings me to narrowing down my driver to HLG-320. So now to finalize my driver I just need to know which of these to go for so that I can pull the trigger : HLG-320H-20B / HLG-320H-24B / HLG 320H-42B.

I know I'm being too anal about what to get because first off I have get stuff from overseas and that breaks my budget with the extra shipping and customs duties/taxes and what not , so the fixture that I'm going to make will be my only fixture at least for a few years. So really wanted to get it done right on the first one since I dont know when will my second one be.

I also know you are very busy and still put up with all my stupid question and for that I really appreciate and thank you <3
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Your questions aren't stupid buddy,

They are helping me and others out a lot with these builds as I can see what you're looking into and why then can make more informed decision on what I myself should put together.

Getting better each build and could not do that without people like yourself listing plenty of options.