gen3 2700g strips with hlg-320-42a

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What width would be recommended for the frame with (10) 4' strips since the length will be 4 feet.
I was thinking about 2' wide or 2' 6" wide.
There is a light dimension chart link I looked at but haven't quite wrapped my head around yet.
I think this is relatively what I would want
So at 30 watts per square ft of floor space

2.5' wide x 4' long = 10 ft x 30 watts = 300watts minimum
I'd have just over 320 in that space to be on the high side of it.
Does that seem like a proper frame size or is
2' wide x 4' long more ideal?

Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks for all the information Peter1 and Teknik.
bcr500
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sleep did you ever complete your build? Also how long did it take to get your strips from future? I’m about to place a order myself for some 2700k cri90’s.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

SleepthenPhotonStorm wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:04 am
What width would be recommended for the frame with (10) 4' strips since the length will be 4 feet.
I was thinking about 2' wide or 2' 6" wide.
There is a light dimension chart link I looked at but haven't quite wrapped my head around yet.
I think this is relatively what I would want
So at 30 watts per square ft of floor space

2.5' wide x 4' long = 10 ft x 30 watts = 300watts minimum
I'd have just over 320 in that space to be on the high side of it.
Does that seem like a proper frame size or is
2' wide x 4' long more ideal?

Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks for all the information Peter1 and Teknik.
Your fixutre size and spacing of the strips is related to your hang height. The reason to use strips is so you can keep the lights at close proximity to the canopy. If you don't have a large enough frame with strips spaced out correctly then you need to raise the light to get the coverage you need.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I made 1 of the 2 and will have the other one made tomorrow.

They were delivered about 5 days after they had came into stock on FE.

I am going to make some nice 3/4 " x 3/4 " x 1/8th " thick aluminum angle frames with either welding or bolting the pieces together. taking note to reinforce the corners of the frame for large frames.

For this grow I've been using a half inch sheet of plywood with aluminum flashing screwed in over it with the strips thermal taped to the fixture and on the back the driver is on some washers where the driver is mounted through the flashing into the plywood.

It is then sharp on the outside of the frame and I tape or silicone the flashing.

PlyWood probably isn't recommended as a frame material im sure as it will hold humidity and can get Moldy over time, ran a few of them for a few months now with no issues and will make a day out of making proper frames next go around.

I had seen the posts on here about the gen 2 Thermals and testing different backings and and know a lot people have ran them soft and just had them bare with fans oscillating around in the grow space.
That's where it began.
Attachments
I had a gap  between the frame and the flashing originally  here but having flashing directly on the plywood had gave it more rigidity.
I had a gap between the frame and the flashing originally here but having flashing directly on the plywood had gave it more rigidity.
Lighting is the 5x5 4' gen 2 3500k build.<br />I later added 16 more 2' strips on 2 drivers into the frame of that one.<br />The 3000k spectrum.
Lighting is the 5x5 4' gen 2 3500k build.
I later added 16 more 2' strips on 2 drivers into the frame of that one.
The 3000k spectrum.
Have tried a bunch of different ways
Have tried a bunch of different ways
Way Brighter than it looks.<br />Deceiving  photo,<br /> This is the new strips that are the 2700
Way Brighter than it looks.
Deceiving photo,
This is the new strips that are the 2700
This is with the  gen 2.<br />They are just starting day 28 of flower.
This is with the gen 2.
They are just starting day 28 of flower.
Last edited by SleepthenPhotonStorm on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Attachments
Not neat but will work for time being.
Not neat but will work for time being.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You could make a frame to bolt the strips onto. No need to heatsink them at the current you are running them at. This way the frame will be light weight. Just remember to use nylon washes when you screw them into place
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 am
You could make a frame to bolt the strips onto. No need to heatsink them at the current you are running them at. This way the frame will be light weight. Just remember to use nylon washes when you screw them into place
Will do that.
Yeah im growing in the upstairs of a house and growing with SE High Pressure Sodiums and running a/c all the time in the past just was not worth it and this has been a very large step up from the led's I've had the last couple years.

Pretty much I want to make it very bright but as little heat as possible since it is my #1 enemy this time of year.

What is the max amount of 4' gen 3 strips you'd recommend loading onto one HLG-320h-42a.
Would that support 20 of them in parallel or be too dim even when on max.

Is 14 strips right around 500 ma and would I lose efficiency once I added over that amount or not necessarily?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I haven't done the tests but I would guess upto 18 strips. It won't make much of a difference after 14 strips though. Better to spend the extra money on suppliment lights like far red.
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

week 5 tomorrow under 1100 watts of the gen 2.
I'm adding more lighting just gotta figure out some placement.
Will be ordering buddies but probably will be getting them between the end of this grow and begginging of next.

For a 5.5 x 6'x 8' tall area how many of the end of day buddies should I run.
I was thinking either 75 or 2 75 watt drivers on 15 minutes before lights on and 15 minutes into lights on ,
Then 15 minutes before and 15 minutes after lights off
Can't run the end of day with the other lighting need timers I think was mentioned earlier or in another thread.

For the big guns the monochromatic red's how far away from the canopy should I be ?

The strip lights are only 8 inches above the plants so i was thinking outside perimeter of the main light on 45 degree angle down towards the plants or putting them in the bottom of the room by the floor directed upwards towards the canopy.
Attachments
Seem happy
Seem happy
Gen 2 I start week 5 tomorrow
Gen 2 I start week 5 tomorrow
SleepthenPhotonStorm
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Week 6 I love those chick's
Attachments
20200827_223545.jpg