preparing a new CoB build

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
PT Scribble
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm preparing a (lightly planned) build with 15x **not vero 13 but Bridgelux Gen7 V18** chips.
Had 5 old drivers laying around. all of them putting out around 100V @ 0.6 A each
Wanted to (roughly) cover a 2'x4' for vegging and flowering.

So i ordered 8x Gen7V18 3500k and 7x Gen7V18 4000k with some passive heatsinks.
Planning on using a string of 3 CoB's per driver, alternating 3500/4000/3500 and 4000/3500/4000 rows.

I'm also implementing 12 monochrome LED's on passive heatsinks in this fixture
6x 660 nm and 6x 730 nm (mostly as a flower initiator)

I'll try to post some ''build'' pics and the finished light when all done.
I'm anxious for some reactions from you guys... (good or bad, just honest opinions)

peace,
Scribble

**changed vero13 into Bridgelux Gen7V18**
Last edited by PT Scribble on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

PT Scribble wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm
I'm preparing a (lightly planned) build with 15x vero 13 chips.
Had 5 old drivers laying around. all of them putting out around 100V @ 0.6 A each

So i ordered 8x vero 13 3500k and 7x vero 13 4000k with some passive heatsinks.
Planning on using a string of 3 CoB's per driver, alternating 3500/4000/3500 and 4000/3500/4000 rows.

I'm anxious for some reactions from you guys... (good or bad, just honest opinions)

peace,
Scribble
Hey Scribble,

Sounds like the right amount of light for the space. Im a big advocate of adding the 660nm and 730nm mono LEDs. Using the 730 as a flower initiator can add 10%+ more light to your flower period, and you cant beat that.

Ive seen others alternating temperature to add a more balanced spectrum, but Im not convinced on its utility. The LEDs we’re talking about are really 430nm blue leds with a phosphor coating to turn some of the blue light into yellow/reddish to make it look white. If you look at any of the spectrum charts you’ll see two peaks, one blue one and yellow/red one. The only difference between 2700K, 4000K and 5000k leds is the thickness of the phosphor coating. The thicker it is, the redder the light appears. Also the thicker the coating, the lower the efficacy.

I just dont see the need for alternating between 3500k and 4000k, but Im curious as to your reasons. I get why you’d like to have a 2700K spectrum for flower and a 5000K for veg. Dont mean to knock it, just curious is all.
Attachments
10444E21-F9E3-4DA6-B377-8C8D75E87F38.jpeg
10444E21-F9E3-4DA6-B377-8C8D75E87F38.jpeg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

PT Scribble wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm
I'm preparing a (lightly planned) build with 15x vero 13 chips.

So i ordered 8x vero 13 3500k and 7x vero 13 4000k with some passive heatsinks.

peace,
Scribble
Hey Scribble!

Cool. I haven't seen a Vero 13 build yet. What was it that influenced your decision on going with the 13s? Cost? Forward voltage?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
PT Scribble
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

@ Ted

I just felt like 3500k only would be more suitable for flowering purposes only.
Alternating the 3500 and 4000 k CoB's is something i haven't really done any experimenting with yet.
The price-point for these CoB's @ around 8,- makes it reasonably cheap to do some testing.
I'll be using a seperate driver for the monochrome reds to use as flower initiator, but maybe even as a ''wake-up light'' as well.

@ LEDG

Exactly as you mentionned...
The decision for the Vero13's came from the drivers i had laying around and the price-point on them.
My drivers being able to power 3x ''something'' with a fV of around 33 to 35 V @ 600 mA made it easier for me to choose smaller CoB's so i could spread the light more evenly over the potential canopy
The additional thought of adding monochromes made it even easier because when using 15 CoB's i could fit 12 red LED's in between or next to the center of each row of CoB's (it'll be clearer when i add some pics)

I'm just left with the thought on getting a proper light controller (or making one myself) for this light

peace,
Scribble
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

PT Scribble wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:09 pm
@ Ted

I just felt like 3500k only would be more suitable for flowering purposes only.
Alternating the 3500 and 4000 k CoB's is something i haven't really done any experimenting with yet.
The price-point for these CoB's @ around 8,- makes it reasonably cheap to do some testing.
I'll be using a seperate driver for the monochrome reds to use as flower initiator, but maybe even as a ''wake-up light'' as well.

@ LEDG

Exactly as you mentionned...
The decision for the Vero13's came from the drivers i had laying around and the price-point on them.
My drivers being able to power 3x ''something'' with a fV of around 33 to 35 V @ 600 mA made it easier for me to choose smaller CoB's so i could spread the light more evenly over the potential canopy
The additional thought of adding monochromes made it even easier because when using 15 CoB's i could fit 12 red LED's in between or next to the center of each row of CoB's (it'll be clearer when i add some pics)

I'm just left with the thought on getting a proper light controller (or making one myself) for this light

peace,
Scribble
Do you have any controllers in mind?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
PT Scribble
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Not really...

been lurking around but haven't been brave enough to start experimenting with one.
i' ve been checking rapidled... might go with one that growmau5 featured in one of his vids.
not that i really need it... but might be cool to check out what could be gained by using one.

just got my digi-key package... must' ve been under some influence whilst writing the original post here...
it's not Vero13' s but Bridgelux Gen7 V18 ... :oops: *my bad*

still doubting if i should solder them or get some solderless holders...
going to use some ModuLED Micro 8630-B as heatsinks so finding a proper holder might be tricky
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

PT Scribble wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:49 pm
Not really...

been lurking around but haven't been brave enough to start experimenting with one.
i' ve been checking rapidled... might go with one that growmau5 featured in one of his vids.
not that i really need it... but might be cool to check out what could be gained by using one.

just got my digi-key package... must' ve been under some influence whilst writing the original post here...
it's not Vero13' s but Bridgelux Gen7 V18 ... :oops: *my bad*

still doubting if i should solder them or get some solderless holders...
going to use some ModuLED Micro 8630-B as heatsinks so finding a proper holder might be tricky
Ahhh, that makes more sense. I have a few Vero 18s myself. I got the Pico EZmate harnesses and they're pretty slick, but you can't remove them too many times.