DC Voltage Safety

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hello fellows!
Great to find such a forum for our led gardening needs! Awesome.

I am gathering parts to assemble my first build and at first it seemed simple enough to use COBs in serial installation.
However, giving the high power rating of such drivers, and voltage they are capable of outputting these days, I've started wondering if this is truly safe.

I'm no electronics expert but always read that high voltage DC is more dangerous than AC.

How safe is it running our panels with high voltage DC serial setups?

ANything to be extra concerned about?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hey Kunk. I've read about 50/50 as to whether AC or DC is worse. I'm not sure, and hope to never find out!

These serial setups are no joke, with voltages approaching 300 in some big circuits. You absolutely need to know what you're doing when working with this stuff. One mistake at that voltage could be all you get. This is why I add my disclaimer to everything stating that you shouldn't attempt the electrical component if you're not qualified to do so, and have somebody who is take care of that part for you.

It's unfortunate that big parallel constant voltage systems are not as ideal for LED systems as their constant current counterparts, since these generally run on a much, much lower voltage.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I got shocked plenty of times with the European 220V AC. (You need to be a bit stupid to get shocked, but I'm perfectly qualified in that department.) Not that it's fun by any means, and surely can be lethal for certain people (heart conditions) or certain situations (water, falling, etc.), but it's DC that should scare you. AC by nature would contract and relax your muscles, DC would keep them contracted. Ouch. But then again, this fear shouldn't be crippling and electrical work shouldn't be mystified: simply be careful not to work with anything powered, and that all the connections are nice and clean. It really isn't more complicated than wiring a socket.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

From what I've read, the thing that makes AC deadly is the fact that if you put this cyclical power across your heart, your heartbeat will attempt to synchronize with it (at 60 cycles per second) and this is what causes it to get stuck in fibrillation, even after power has been removed.

I agree with all your points, Majorana, I just want people to be sure they know what they're dealing with on these high voltage drivers.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I always hated playing "sparky" with my old man.. I got bit to many times because of failed meter saying line was off lol One time he was sliding thru a puddle in a crawl space with some ductwork( tin knocker by trade) and a live 220 line touched the sheet metal.. lets just say he wasn't himself for at lease a week!

I don't mind doing this as much for some reason.. I know getting bit from either side would suck... but the light is apart of something I really enjoy!! so it must not be phasing me....