Bridgelux EB Gen 2 Build, Not pulling expected wattage

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys,

I bought the parts to build myself a 2' x 4" grow light a few months back.Finally found the time to put the thing together. Thought everything had gone to plan but when I have checked the wattage draw it is not what I anticipated.

I have 20x Bridgelux EB gen 2 3000k 24" (BXEB-L0560Z-30E2000-C-B3) connected to a HLG-320H-20B meanwell driver.
https://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default ... ev%20A.pdf
https://www.meanwell-web.com/content/fi ... H-spec.pdf

The way I calculated it is 15A/20=0.75A
0.75A= 19.6V from the data sheet.

The wattage meter is showing a draw of 233W. I have disconnected the dimmer and it is the same.

What could be causing this or have I got it wrong when calculating which driver I needed?
Midnightsun72
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am guessing you were expecting about 292W?
What size wire did you connect the LEDs with? And how long are they to the driver? I am assuming everything is wired in parallel. If your voltage drops to 19.3 from 19.5 the the corresponding amperage is 0.6a. If you work that out to your fixture 19.3V x 0.6a x 20 strips = 231W. If the wire is thin enough to drop the voltage over it's length then maybe that's the reason. What V and A do you measure out of the driver ?

You should take a volt meter and measure what voltage the LEDs are actually experiencing.
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I used 14 AWG from driver to fixture. At fixture its split using a 3 way wago to two 5 way wago's again using 14AWG. From there each powers 10 strips using 22AWG.

Ill go check the voltages.
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You are right. They are measuring 19.2V across the strips. I only have a cheap multimeter so it only has a 10A fuse. So I cant check A out of the driver. Its measuring exactly 20V out of the driver.
Anything from above that could be causing it? How much does length of cable play into it? I can probably take a couple of feet of wire off and still be able to keep the drivers where I would like them. Should I check all the connections?
Midnightsun72
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I think 18awg is the recommended wire size for this. Also length plays a role of course. The longer the wire the greater the voltage drop.

How far is the driver from the fixture or how long is the wire from the driver to the first wago plus to the second wago plus to the stripes? @10ft you already down to 19.25V
61A32A85-E7B3-4C31-A8C3-99D14B3A26D7.png
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Forgot how inefficient DC is. Yeah, its pretty much 10ft. Ill have to work out how much I need to shorten it.
Had the driver fixed to a board which is hooked over the top of the radiator. Looks like it will be getting fixed to the wall closer to the tent instead, which I was trying to avoid.

Appreciate the help mate.