Wiring LED strips and adding in resistors?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
WhtRMshrms
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello everyone at LEDgardener. I hope you all are doing well. I have a few questions about some DIY lights I'd like to build. I have some a rough sketch of the way I'd like to wire the strips. I'd like to know if that is a viable way of wiring them. I'd also like to know where to add resistors. A lot of the diagrams and calculators online are not matching up with what I'm trying to do. Here are the specs:

Driver: XLG-150-H-A
Output: 27-56V....2.68-4.17A CC mode
Default current: 2.8A

(I'd like to use the default current rating of 2.8A)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Strips: Samsung LT-H282D
Forward Voltage: 24v
Current: 240 mA
24 strips
-------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to put 12 strips in parallel, in 2 groups (24 strips in total), and the 2 groups would be wired in series. That should give me
48v @ 233 mA for each strip. Those are within the parameters of the driver, but I'd like to add resistors to prevent thermal runaway. I've attached a picture of the diagram. I hope its correct, and if it is, where would I add the resistors? Please and thank you!
Attachments
Wiringdiagram.png
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It's not recommended to wire that many strips in parallel in this particular fashion, as the very first strip will have to handle the full current as it passes through to the other strips. Notice on this page, "Tip: Avoid daisy chaining multiple boards as shown in the 2nd image below. This causes first board to handle a large current and can reduce life of board's electrical trace. Wiring as shown in 1st image is preferable."

A better alternative would be to pair two strips in series, then connect all 12 pairs in parallel off terminal blocks or wagos.

No resistors are used with these LED drivers, they self-regulate the current. Thermal runaway isn't all that much of a concern.
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

As mentioned your diagram would not work properly, You would need to create a 2 Series / 12 Parallel Circuit, similar to attached drawing... And Led Drivers don’t require added resistors for manufactured strips.
WhtRMshrms
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:04 am
It's not recommended to wire that many strips in parallel in this particular fashion, as the very first strip will have to handle the full current as it passes through to the other strips. Notice on this page, "Tip: Avoid daisy chaining multiple boards as shown in the 2nd image below. This causes first board to handle a large current and can reduce life of board's electrical trace. Wiring as shown in 1st image is preferable."

A better alternative would be to pair two strips in series, then connect all 12 pairs in parallel off terminal blocks or wagos.

No resistors are used with these LED drivers, they self-regulate the current. Thermal runaway isn't all that much of a concern.
Thank you for your post. I believe the new diagram is better suited for this. I really appreciate your help, and it makes total sense!
Attachments
WiringdiagramV2.png
WhtRMshrms
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:05 am

As mentioned your diagram would not work properly, You would need to create a 2 Series / 12 Parallel Circuit, similar to attached drawing... And Led Drivers don’t require added resistors for manufactured strips.
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. It even answers my question on where to attach the lead lines in this particular configuration. I can just follow the picture you've provided and just increase the amount of parallel lines to fit my specifications. Thank you again, I appreciate the help.
nuvan
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sorry for hijacking your post @WhtRMshrms :)

@PeteR_1 I think I'm in a similar situation but with a CC&CV driver and all my strips are in parallel. Can you take a quick look?

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6102&sid=3a7bae3db ... 811d3d5b9b