Did I miscalculate?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I had a meanwell PCD-60-1050B (https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=251#1) driver that I use to use with some side lighting. I wanted to repurpose it for a 2' x 2' veg light. I bought 3 Bridgelux EB gen 3 slim 590mm strips, BXEB-L0590U-50E1500-C-C3, (https://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default ... ev%20A.PDF)

When assembled in series it is only pulling 25 watts from the wall, everything seems fine other than that. Looking over the numbers again it looks like the total voltage is outside the constant current range. Is this what would be expected if the driver was under sized?

If not, what could be causing this?

Thanks
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Yup, that'd be the reason. at 1050mA, those strips are in the mid 19s for voltage, which would push just up over the range of the driver.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

trichometoker wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:19 am
... When assembled in series it is only pulling 25 watts from the wall, everything seems fine other than that. Looking over the numbers again it looks like the total voltage is outside the constant current range. Is this what would be expected if the driver was under sized?
If not, what could be causing this? Thanks
It could possibility be the Internal circuitry and hIgher voltage but first recheck your series wired circuit (bottom of attached diagram). 25 Watts from the wall is equivalent to one (1) LED Strip, 20 Vdc at 1050 mA; [21 Watts / 0.86 Eff = 24.4 Watts]...

A simple Check is to connect only two (2) LED Strips in series and record the results, at 40 Vdc (Vf) there should be ~ 48 Watts from the wall to the LED Driver. If this works then four (4) LED Strips wired in a two Series / two Parallel Circuit (2S/2P, typical middle of attached diagram) would make the best use of this driver/strip combo. Good luck.
trichometoker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Appreciate the help guys