Quantum board heatsink

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

as for the diamond plate if it is flat it could... I would just watch with a thermometer now and then if it develops hot spots.
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:03 am
Budsie wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 pm
JGG, do you know if I can get away with running 2 qb 304 with the hlg-240-1400b?
yes... wired in parallel.. at 700ma they will draw 109v max..... the hlg240h-1400 has voltage range of 89-179v.. the roughly will put out 75 watts each... if you have that driver and are reusing definitely yes...

if you are buying a driver you can go down to a 185h-1400.... the hlg120h-c1400 says a max voltage of 108... if you got the better bin by chance and only pull the 106 range, two would just squeak under the max range..
Cooooool beans man, that's great news for me lol I have an extra one sitting around that I will use. I'm excited
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:07 am
as for the diamond plate if it is flat it could... I would just watch with a thermometer now and then if it develops hot spots.
After looking at the link you showed me with the online metals I looked for any metal shops close by and found some that I'm going to try and get to today
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Budsie wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:06 pm
Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:07 am
After looking at the link you showed me with the online metals I looked for any metal shops close by and found some that I'm going to try and get to today
I'm sorry to be a PIA but what size aluminum do you think I should try to mimic, if options are available? Slate 4 or 5? Do you think it would matter as far as heat dissipation?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

your not being a PITA 😁 questions are a good thing.. especially on this site.. because you can get multiple sets of eyes on them. someone might catch something I missed!! 😁

I would think it would play into what driver/drivers you are going to use... the slate 4 is roughly 24in by 24in... it can handle up to a hlg480... the slate 5 is roughly the same square inch as the slate 4 but it has fins and can handle a hlg600h.... I still can't remember where I saw/found it but there's a rough equation for square inch of 1/8in aluminum needed per watt of LED.. but I would think your safe under 500watts if you stay above 24 by 24...

there always adding a fan to help.cool also 😁
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Been doing a little research on this. Looks like you can get the diamond plate in a couple different alloys: 3003 (shiny) and 6061 (dull). Wikipedia tells me 6061 is commonly used for heat sinks due to good thermal conductivity.

One thing to make sure of is that the bottom of the plate is actually flat. I’m not sure if they just punch the diamond shape from the bottom, leaving little diamond indentations on the bottom side, or if it’s actually flat.

If you can get a flat chunk of aluminum cut to size from an online metals place like JGG suggested, that’d definitely be the way to go! As he mentioned, you’d end up with something close to the Slate 4.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm
Been doing a little research on this. Looks like you can get the diamond plate in a couple different alloys: 3003 (shiny) and 6061 (dull). Wikipedia tells me 6061 is commonly used for heat sinks due to good thermal conductivity.

One thing to make sure of is that the bottom of the plate is actually flat. I’m not sure if they just punch the diamond shape from the bottom, leaving little diamond indentations on the bottom side, or if it’s actually flat.

If you can get a flat chunk of aluminum cut to size from an online metals place like JGG suggested, that’d definitely be the way to go! As he mentioned, you’d end up with something close to the Slate 4.
Thank you LEDG... I am looking looking looking lol and came across another online metal shop with some pretty cheap shipping and the metals aren't too expensive either https://www.metalsdepot.com/aluminum-pr ... inum-sheet. I'm going to order a couple of pieces from them and drill it out and like JGG said and I was thinking the same, if they do run warmer than my liking I can add a few fans above the boards.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Budsie wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:13 pm
LEDG wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Thank you LEDG... I am looking looking looking lol and came across another online metal shop with some pretty cheap shipping and the metals aren't too expensive either https://www.metalsdepot.com/aluminum-pr ... inum-sheet. I'm going to order a couple of pieces from them and drill it out and like JGG said and I was thinking the same, if they do run warmer than my liking I can add a few fans above the boards.
Good plan!
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Maxxor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last edited by Maxxor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Maxxor wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:24 pm
You could mount those two moderately driven QB's to a 10 gauge, 14" x 17" heavy duty aluminum cookie sheet. That's 1/8" thickness aluminum. 17 bucks, free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Bellemain-Cookie ... okie+sheet
Hey Maxxor, that actually crossed my mind but couldn't wrap my head around it so I decided against it and just kept looking lol. I'm hopeful the aluminum pieces I ordered will be here by Friday