Atlas Scientific Ph Probe weirdness

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

One night about 2 in the morning, the ph in my tank dropped from 6.2 to 5.85. After testing the water, it was running at 6.2 but the probes stated 5.85. Ran a calibration, which was barely off, threw it in the tank and got the same thing.

After messing around, I found out that if the probe is 1 inch below the surface the tank, it measures 6.1 off 0.1. If I let the probe sink to the bottom of the tank, about 1 foot, its back to 5.85. The strangest part is its been on the bottom of the tank for a month and a half with no problem, reading off by 0.02. I tried phase 1 of the atlas ph probe conditioner yet its still the same.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Do you have additional probes in the res? Using a signal isolator?

I assume the water is constantly recirculating via pump.
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm just using a Ph probe at the moment. There are a couple of thermistor type temperature sensors. One battery stick on, a Ranco ETC temp control and a mag drive pump with lots of air. All the same equipment for the last month except I added a brass motorized 3 way valve 2 weeks before the issues started but no power at the valve yet.

I am using the isolated carrier board as well.
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Morbidbystander wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 am
I'm just using a Ph probe at the moment. There are a couple of thermistor type temperature sensors. One battery stick on, a Ranco ETC temp control and a mag drive pump with lots of air. All the same equipment for the last month except I added a brass motorized 3 way valve 2 weeks before the issues started but no power at the valve yet.

I am using the isolated carrier board as well.
I would guess none of those items would be causing the issue, you can try and remove the brass valve since that is the only thing that has changed, however you mentioned that there's no power at the valve yet so it shouldn't make a difference.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Morbidbystander wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm
One night about 2 in the morning, the ph in my tank dropped from 6.2 to 5.85. After testing the water, it was running at 6.2 but the probes stated 5.85. Ran a calibration, which was barely off, threw it in the tank and got the same thing.

After messing around, I found out that if the probe is 1 inch below the surface the tank, it measures 6.1 off 0.1. If I let the probe sink to the bottom of the tank, about 1 foot, its back to 5.85. The strangest part is its been on the bottom of the tank for a month and a half with no problem, reading off by 0.02. I tried phase 1 of the atlas ph probe conditioner yet its still the same.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
i'm running good with Tasmota on a Wemos Mini esp8266.
i've been comparing with another PH Pen i have , so far so good , been about 1 month and no calibration since .
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

There's been some developments with this situation. One night during an auto pH balance the curve was extremely slow. I open the reservoir to check and found the water cloudy. The pH was at 8.9 causing a precipitation of salts, yet the meter read 6.0. After calibration the meter performed properly then a slow rise began after 8 hours. Tried to recalibrate with the same issue.

Apparently my probe was dead after 3 months! Talked to Atlas and they only cover a 30 day warranty.

After lots of reading I decided to test my water with a multi meter to ground to check for stray voltage and found 13 volts AC. I dipped one lead into the water and plugged the other into an electric socket ground. The brass valve tested to ground would also transmit 13 volts so I decide to use a ground pipe clamp and send the stray voltage to ground with a 10g wire.

At this point the water is giving 0 volts to ground and hopefully my new probe will last longer than 3 month.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i have 1 Atlas EZO-PH for the last 3 years ( older version with yellow probe ) , and just purchased a Atlas Hydro-kit (ph-ppm-temp ) and EZO-CO2 and all works amazing for me on tasmota + HA .
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What were you running before Tasmota? How was your probe installed in the system and what are you monitoring? Was there equipment in the water in addition to the probe?

Might be time to jump on that Tasmota train. I just got my WeMos boards in preparation for the change. I'll be adding temp, conductivity, and flow very soon so I've been stubborn to switch before I pick up the hardware.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Morbidbystander wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:39 am
What were you running before Tasmota? How was your probe installed in the system and what are you monitoring? Was there equipment in the water in addition to the probe?

Might be time to jump on that Tasmota train. I just got my WeMos boards in preparation for the change. I'll be adding temp, conductivity, and flow very soon so I've been stubborn to switch before I pick up the hardware.
before i was running on ESPHome and HA , i do have the EZO Carrier Shield that prevents ground loops .
i'm running on HA for 3 years now , before that i runned Mycodo for 2~3 years .
Mycodo: https://kizniche.github.io/Mycodo/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyqykZK2Ev4
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What type of maintenance have you been doing for your probe? Are you doing a bleach soak weekly as suggested in the manual or a quick rinse? Storage solutions during res change. Stuff like that.