Do I need heatsink?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
R^2
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello,
I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

I plan to build small experimental light in to a Aluminium plate with dimensions of 400x400x4 (everything in mm). The light will run 8 * BridgeLux EB GEN3 SLIM 4000K strips, maxCurrent = 1.7A. They will be run with 75% of maxCurrent if heating doesn't become an issue. If temperature will be an issue the current will be lowered to a level where I can achieve reasonable temperatures. What do you guys consider reasonable temperature? Would T<40C be acceptable standard for keeping the strip quality and efficiency still good? The Aluminium plate will obviously start abosrbing the heat generated by the strips. Question is, how much can a plate like that handle? I know it depends on the current they are run with so I'll set up few configurations.

1.) 1275mA ~ 75% of maxCurrent
2.) 1000mA ~ 59% ...
3.) 850mA ~ 50% ...
4.) 700mA ~ 41% which is the datasheets testCurrent with testTEMP ~ 25C

I assume running the 700mA will be completely fine, but how about higher? What are your thoughts? Do I need heatsink or not?
Last edited by R^2 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horst
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

It depends on ur Alu. There are different qualities with different capacity for transportation of the heat.
Also very important..how u want to fix the strips on the Alu?

Why u wanna drive them so high? These strips are very cheap and I would suggest to take 12 or 16 maybe with lower current.
Better efficiency, better light distribution, lower temperature and longer life.

Greets
R^2
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey,
Thanks for your reply. I actually managed to already build my system but I still appreciate your feedback. I kinda have to agree with you, maybe a better choice would have been to run double amount of strips with a bigger driver. Well as always these things are learning experience and I think next light will be designed slightly differently :). Moderators can remove and close this topic...