Quantum Board 12x F562B - adding Far Red + Hyper Red LED

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
hakuna-matata
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello!
I build a quantum board with 12x Samsung F562B (3000k) for the area 80x80cm.
It should run up to about 185w (500-700mA), so I decided for the HLG-185H-C700A

I have wired them like LEDG showed in the drawing here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=252.
The QB shines brighter than the sun, so I think its working correct. :)

Now I thought about adding some Far Red and Hyper Red light to the QB.
For example:
OSRAM Oslon SSL 150 Far Red Plug&Light
OSRAM Oslon SSL 150 Hyper Red Plug&Light

Has anybody an idea how many LEDs are right for the area?

I am very new to the LED thing, so hopefully you can help me.
Last edited by hakuna-matata on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakuna-matata
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My QB is already build so I edited my post.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I know most LED gurus on youtube say you only want between 5-8% of total white light in added 730nm red... I think 660nm is something around 10-12% of total wattage... those stars run .6watt at minimum settings and around 2.6w max settings.. 16 stars ran at 700ma (roughly 1.5watts) would give 24 watts or 12.9% of your 185watts..

I would probably add 12 660nm (hyper red) 4 730nm (far/deep red) on a small 40watt 700ma driver. (figuring out parallel driver voltages on the fly still a pain for me with strips or stars ๐Ÿ˜)
hakuna-matata
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks, this helps me a lot.
So, when I build it like in my drawing, would it be fine, or would you constalate them in a different way?

QB+FR+HR.jpg
QB+FR+HR.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 2993 times

For powering the 16 stars the driver MW PLD-40-700B does its job, right?

btw I forgot to tell I use 12 of the 3000k strips.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yep.. that's the pattern I was thinking...

that pld-40 is just a little big.. I looked at the voltage range it's 34-57.. your going to be around the 24v range

pld-25-700 link. https://www.mouser.com/Search/m_Product ... k24Q%3d%3d

I believe the pld in the link would work... LG or anyone else want to double check my math?? ๐Ÿ˜
Shawnery
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What exactly is that color range supposed to add to the growth of your cannabis?
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Shawnery wrote: โ†‘
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 am
What exactly is that color range supposed to add to the growth of your cannabis?
It's the Emerson Effect that everybody wants. Supposedly for an experienced grower, who already covered all other bases, this would give a little edge.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

what Majorana said.... they are starting to figure out that with a good white base you can add the 450nm range and 660nm range... that possibly can boost certain flavor/smell profiles of plants.

you can add just the blue or red... but the effects cap out at a certain point... where if you add both to a certain degree it can double the effect of just adding the red or blue by itself.

I got to read more into it... but I know people at ChilLED and HLG talk about it on live streams... I also know people like to confuse it with flower initiation... which is 730nm far red light..

flower initiation is where you take some 730nm and run it for 10-20 minutes just as your main light goes out.... the purpose for it is to put your plants to sleep faster at night..... but then there's people putting like 2% of the 730 in the light... maybe 730nm plays another part of the Emerson effect.. or another thing I haven't heard of yet ๐Ÿ˜

growmau5 goes into it a tiny bit on this stream.... it's a great stream of info for newbies also!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmoPX_uoofY
hakuna-matata
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Like Jolly said, I want to use it for flower initiation, to put the plants to sleep and wake them up smoothly :)

I thought Emerson effect would only need the red lights?

Do you think it would be better to add also some blue to my 3000k strips? Im worried that the plants stretch too much.
Im doing veg, maybe only for the first time, and flower in the tent. I already thought bout adding some blue while veg.
But when I can get also the Emerson effect this way this would be probably best way going. I think I need to read into it a lil bit. But well, Im a lil bit pragmatic :lol:

And Im not expierenced at all, this is my pretty first LED try and I just want the best for my babies right at start.
So what would you say how much of what light would be best? Maybe adding 4x OSRAM Oslon SSL 150 Deep Blue to the red lights? I dont have a clue how to do the math here :oops:
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

instead of 12 660nm... 4 730nm... go 4 450nm....4 730nm.... 8 660nm.. then you still have 2 to 1 ratio on the far red and blue to 660 red ๐Ÿ˜ same theory on the pattern.. spread them as even as you can... maybe 660's on outer and swap the inner two back and forth with the 450/730's..

if you want flower with Emerson you'll have to wire 730nm separate since you want it on the whole time with others and then after everything goes out... or wire for Emerson and use a https://www.rapidled.com/far-red-initiator-puck/

I totally forgot they had these also. https://www.rapidled.com/4-photo-far-re ... t-led-kit/ they make 660/730 combo packages now... might even be able to ask them to swap a few 660's for 450's...