Dosing pump lines lose suction

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
Kontraband81
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have been experiencing a problem with my dosing pumps. The exit lines from the pump to the nutrient tank over time leak into the tank. This is noticeable from home assistant charting a gradual uptake in ec as well as the line visually building air pockets next to the pump. I have included pictures but they are not super great illustration.

Is this common, and is there a way to avoid it? Any tips on how to minimize or hopefully eliminate this issue?

They are brand new pumps, the same ones recommended to purchase from the video/part list.
These:

PXL_20210414_205710010.jpg
PXL_20210414_205629938.jpg
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Are the pumps physically physically located above the tank? Sounds like gravity is happening.
Kontraband81
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53 pm
Are the pumps physically physically located above the tank? Sounds like gravity is happening.
Yes, I have a shelf system that mimics how ledgardner had his in the video. The top shelf is the controller and nutrients, the next shelf below that is the ro tank, and below that is the nutrient tank.

Included some more pictures
PXL_20210415_015713425.jpg
PXL_20210415_015658466.jpg
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

You need to make sure the lines are totally sealed where they attach to the pumps. I used small zip ties and tightened it as hard as I could, using pliers, then I even siliconed over some that were still losing suction. If you seal these joints, they will not leak.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Kontraband81
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:21 pm
You need to make sure the lines are totally sealed where they attach to the pumps. I used small zip ties and tightened it as hard as I could, using pliers, then I even siliconed over some that were still losing suction. If you seal these joints, they will not leak.

Thanks for the advice I purchased these two items to help the situation.

I am still waiting on the snap grips but just adding the check valves seems to have really helped the situation. They don't allow air to travel back inside the line and from what I can see they don't restrict the liquid flow at all. I tested this by banging the line against something over and over and nothing leaked out. I currently have them hanging off the pumps and into a small cup to test over night if anything leaks. I'll keep the thread updated as I progress but as of right now I highly recommend the check valves.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Great idea! I may implement this myself.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Kontraband81
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:28 pm
Great idea! I may implement this myself.
Here is a picture of what I did. I added a little tiny piece of the same silicon tubing on the exit side in order to make them fit nicely in the holes I drilled. When you get them you can test out what way the flow is by blowing into it. Air will only pass one direction.
PXL_20210416_182047106.jpg
morrisraybrooks
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

i love it
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

just ordered some to try , thank you