LED strip reflector test

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
miles
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I always wondered what reflectors on the sides of a strip would do. Typical LED strips have a 120 degree cone like this

Which means a ton of energy is wasted when you don't have an infinitely large room like commercial green houses. But it isn't that hard to concentrate the light, two flaps is all you need, modeled in https://ricktu288.github.io/ray-optics/simulator/

Image -> Image

Today my first LED shipment arrived, F series 560x18 4300lm 3000K strips, for a low power build, for parsley, basil and young chili plants. To avoid eye bleed, the power is turned down to 40W, about half power, and distance to the ground is 20cm. I folded some paper + aluminium foil in roughly the right shape. Before: 13500 lx

After: 20200 lx ~ 320 umol/s using https://www.waveformlighting.com/hortic ... calculator / 3500K low CRI preset.

Image Image

The cone of light is about 28cm wide on the ground so if you put the strips about 20cm from each other you get perfectly even lighting over a wide area at 20000+ lx half power, 40000 lx full power.

Another test a bit off to the side:

Who really needs a crazy wide cone of light? Not me, I rather have 40-50% extra power in the center. I'm currently thinking about how to fabricate 3 reflectors to finish the setup, doesn't even have to be premium or fancy, just supermarket foil works great. I will probably run one area with 2 strips (400+ umol target) and another with just 1. Depending on how you fold / design the reflector, you can get any coverage you want.

TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It all comes down to hang height and set up. There isn't an issue with using a reflector but in most cases you are better off without one and dropping the lights down closer to the canopy. Unlike a light bulb leds already have a directed beam so you get less wasted than you would with a traditional HPS. Its easy to play with different beam angles on Dialux to see results if you have the correct IES files. The best reflectors I've seen have 97% reflection which is extremely high and worth using in certain situations. For the most part you can do without reflectors or optics in a grow set up.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
miles
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:40 am
It all comes down to hang height and set up. There isn't an issue with using a reflector but in most cases you are better off without one and dropping the lights down closer to the canopy. Unlike a light bulb leds already have a directed beam so you get less wasted than you would with a traditional HPS.
Is it though? Sure, it isn't 360 like HPS / fluorescent light, but with a half power point at 120 degrees an awful lot of energy is lost to the side.

Even with a super dense setup in my photo: LED strip distance of 20cm and a height from the ground of 20cm, ~18cm to light meter, the effect is +50% with the paper and foil reflector that isn't even full length. Most photos of grow tent setups I see don't have the canopy that close to the lamps, because if you do, you get a very shitty light distribution with a hot spot in the middle and nothing on the sides.

Most lamp tests at coco have the PAR map / optimum distance at 35-50 cm. At that far away you really want a narrow beam like a grid of GU10 spot lights @ 40 or 60 degrees will provide, or COB with lenses.

Commercial example: Mars Hydro TS1000 to light up a 60x60 area. Height: 45cm. If you assume it is a point source in exactly the middle, you want a triangle with a base of 60, height 45 => 67 degrees angle / 33.5 per side. In practice, you want it even narrower as the module itself isn't a point but a 36x34 rectangle. Beams that go wider than that must be reflected back by the walls, which works in a okayish in a tent and but not in a more casual setup like shelves / racks without wrapping the whole thing with reflecting foil.

This is the LM301B radiation pattern, it is at 80% strength at 40 degrees per side, 80 total. The patterns for other mid-power Samsung LEDs / basically all other LEDs look the same, all 120 degrees @ 50%.

Note that the Mars Hydro lamps have side skirts / reflectors. Maxsisun MF-1000 is another which gets an impressive score out of 100W. Lamps without it do far worse, like the Spider Farmer SF 1000, it is a super similar lamp with with far worse light distribution. It can't even properly cover a 60x60 cm / 4 sq. ft area.

The idea of adding reflectors to a lamp, even LEDs, is far from new and available on plenty of commercial products - I just haven't seen them on strip lights yet, nor has anyone done a clear AB test like my first initial test on the photos. If 2 flaps indeed 50%+ power at distances in the 20-60cm range, it would be crazy not to add it to all setups, who doesn't want 50% more PPF and PPF/watt basically for free? A few pieces of paper and foil and some scotch tape is all you need to start testing.

My test setup is still work in progress - I just built 3 reflectors out of cardboard and foil today (trapezium shaped, 8cm base, 3cm wide top, 4cm height, 60cm long) and made 3 strips of 30x2x590 mm anodized aluminum as heat sink, further assembly tomorrow / this weekend. Next step after that is tuning, decide on the final shape and send the order to a metal shop to properly fabricate it, it doubles as a heat sink which you want to have anyway, just with 2 extra bends.

Its easy to play with different beam angles on Dialux to see results if you have the correct IES files.
Interesting... But if I mod my Samsung F-series strip with reflectors, the stock IES file on https://www.samsung.com/led/lighting/le ... /f-series/ won't be correct right? Can you setup reflectors in Dialux? I took a quick look but it doesn't seem to be as user friendly as SketchUp. I already got my most important numbers out of the other ray simulator - most critically the reflector angle to concentrate the light in the middle.

But it doesn't matter that much anyway, practical measurements are the definitive proof, the measurements on the final setup will show how well it works.
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Very interesting research, thank you - have been waiting for someone to actually test it like you've done. I'll post some reference/inspirational material.
I used a hammertone aluminum gull wing reflector and cut it out to fit inside a cooler master HAF X full tower case. Lesson was to use a heatsink and the reflector as an accessory (sides, corners, etc).
image_9cc014cc-b83e-401e-a5ad-362f2edf1560_300x300.jpg
image_9cc014cc-b83e-401e-a5ad-362f2edf1560_300x300.jpg (8.74 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
71Yf3dCTPIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
ea7663eebf461eb1ab33e96da997dd1e.jpg
71S6QdvhodL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71L5dXFYtwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71E-JuHJEKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
45c83bdedc73780c176b52c99705b116.jpg
61FYRn84bvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
mars_hydro_tsl-2000_led_grow_light_reflector_cup.jpg
Mars-Hydro-TS-600-Quantum-Board-Led-Grow-Light-8-600x600.jpg
marshydro-tsl-2000w.jpg
mars_hydro_tsl-2000_led_grow_light_back.jpg
Attachments
71ulqSgrGSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

miles wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:09 am
Even with a super dense setup in my photo: LED strip distance of 20cm and a height from the ground of 20cm, ~18cm to light meter, the effect is +50% with the paper and foil reflector that isn't even full length. Most photos of grow tent setups I see don't have the canopy that close to the lamps, because if you do, you get a very shitty light distribution with a hot spot in the middle and nothing on the sides.

... Note that the Mars Hydro lamps have side skirts / reflectors. Maxsisun MF-1000 is another which gets an impressive score out of 100W. Lamps without it do far worse, like the Spider Farmer SF 1000, it is a super similar lamp with with far worse light distribution. It can't even properly cover a 60x60 cm / 4 sq. ft area.

... My test setup is still work in progress - I just built 3 reflectors out of cardboard and foil today (trapezium shaped, 8cm base, 3cm wide top, 4cm height, 60cm long) and made 3 strips of 30x2x590 mm anodized aluminum as heat sink, further assembly tomorrow / this weekend. Next step after that is tuning, decide on the final shape and send the order to a metal shop to properly fabricate it, it doubles as a heat sink which you want to have anyway, just with 2 extra bends.

... But it doesn't matter that much anyway, practical measurements are the definitive proof, the measurements on the final setup will show how well it works.
Thanks for sharing the links and info, looking forward to your test results...

My early tests of reflectors with E26 base LED bulbs (Globes removed) resulted in both Hot and "Cold" Spots, High and Low intensity areas as the canopy elevated up towards the light. It also required that the lights be raised higher for the increased intensity, which increased the size of cold spots. With the bare 120° diodes there was more uniform spread especially with at least a 3-sided surround / reflective enclosure. Haven't tried reflectors with LED Strips due to the better Form Factor and uniform coverage / spread with and without reflective surrounds.

BTW, The footprint coverage comparison of MF-1000 and SF-1000 is not equivalent due to the different test heights, 23cm (9") compared to 30cm (12") respectively, and SF-1000 (coverage) is more uniform. Also HOT Spots are created directly below the diodes, typical of the "Quantum Board" Form Factor...

SF-1000: 97 Watts @ 30cm (12")

MF-1000: 95.6 Watts @ 23cm (9")
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

1 (1).jpg
Just wheeled out my have quantum field test will travel PC case lined with scraps of old grow tent liner as the test bed and a single 96 diode growdaddyleds LM301B w/ UV strip + hammertone gull wing reflector as the parameters :ugeek: :lol: . All values were written down/pic taken w/ phone using lux app and using a tape measure.
3.jpg
  • Driver: Mean Well HLG-120H-24B | external pot at 100%
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X
    Dimensions: (L X W X H) 230 x 599 x 550 mm / 9.1 x 23.6 x 21.7 inch
1 (2).jpg
Strip: Sun Board 24v 3500k Samsung lm301h LEDs w UV IR 660nm Quantum Grow Light Strips
  • 80 - SAMSUNG 3500k LM301h LEDs
    8 - 660nm Deep Red LEDs
    4 - 730nm Far Red (IR) LEDs
    2 - 385nm UV LEDs
    2 - 400nm UV LEDs
Specs:
  • 24V
    1800Ma max recommended
    Dual connectors on each end
    30mm x 400mm(approximately 1.2" x 16")
    2oz RA copper
    48w max recommended
9" away:
Reflector: 3802lm
Without Reflector: 3692lm

12" away:
Reflector:
  • Highest: 3379lm
    Lowest: 3062lm
    Others: 3370lm, 3111lm, 3076lm
    Average: 3199.6lm

Without Reflector:
    Highest: 3168lm
    Lowest: 3093lm
    Average: 3130.5lm
13" away:
Reflector:
  • Highest: 3085lm
    Lowest: 3026lm
    Third: 3055lm
    Average: 3055lm
Without Reflector:
  • Highest: 3045lm
    Third: 3037lm
    Average: 3036lm.
I can share data on a 50w Nukehead COB + 4 strips, and 7 strips running on a 240h-c1400b + 4x 288pc r spec samsung lm301h quantum boards (725w) w/ and w/out a reflector when I get the chance.
miles
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Kink wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:58 am
9" away:

12" away:
Reflector:

Without Reflector:
13" away:
Reflector:
Without Reflector:
Huh, that's a lot less effect than mine. Can you try drawing the LED strip + reflector on Ray Optics Simulation so we can see how the light bounces around?

I'm typing up a reply to this thread with my initial test results - no tent what so ever in a wide open space just to show what a single LM561C based Samsung F-series SI-B8V261560WW can do, running at 25W from the wall / 1050 mA.
miles
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

BOM

- 3x SI-B8V261560WW €26.42
- 1x ELG-75-C1050A €32.52
- Free 3 day world wide express shipping (how?)

- 1x 30x2mm x 250cm anodized alu strip, ~€6
- Pack of M3 screws and nuts ~€3
- Pack of 2.5mm hooks with universal / wood thread ~€3
- Cardboard, tin foil and scotch tape

Initial build

The parts came in and it's time to test it out. First test: PSU / power level. Turning the setpoint screw lets me pick anything between 25 to 90W power drawn at the wall - huh okay, the PSU clearly can supply more than 1050 mA. The bare PCBs are too wobbly and probably will run far too hot without head spreader, so I got a strip of 30x2mm anodized aluminum and cut them into 59cm strips, drilled 3mm holes and mounted the PCB with a bunch of M3 screws and nuts.

The loops on the back are a bad idea - 2mm pilot hole and 2.5mm wood screw thread eye don't mix well but the shop didn't have M3 hooks. I need to redo them but it will do for now.

Measurements

I made a grid with 10x10cm squares in a 60x60 area ~4 sq ft, a common small grow tent size. This is more HD than Coco's 15x15cm, I wanted higher resolution data. But as I wasn't doing any tent stuff, I'm measuring in a wide open area which leaves out gains from reflection. First test, at 37cm height, shows a big even lit area (but obviously far too big).

Measurements are in lux using a Voltcraft meter. On Android / Pixel 3a, the ambient light sensor on the front also does a good job estimating it within +- 20%, good enough for a quick check.

Going from square to square writing down the numbers results in:

Image Image

Yeah, not too great as expected, total lumens captured is 1532 vs 4300 rated, 35%. It will definitely do okay as supplementary light at 10DLI in the center but it is such a waste of energy. It is still frikken bright though.

PAR is estimated using a 1:69 ratio from Par Multiplier Thread #18

Second test is at the same height, with a reflector, a cardboard and foil contraption for prototyping until I send the design off to a metal shop. Much better - 2015 lm / 47% captured.

Image Image

Third run - lower it so the beam hits just the edge of the sheets on the ground. There is still a lot of light lost on the other direction but you can't fix that without going COB + optics.

Image Image

Getting there, 60% light captured on the 60x60 area.

Last one. Lowering it again, to 14cm height, to concentrate on the middle 40 cm wide strip.

Image Image

That's pretty decent... 65% light in capture area, 35% lost to the top/bottom part and reflector loss.

Modularity

You can place multiple strips in a single area, just add more parallel to extend the hot zone. If you scale this up to a 80x60 area with 3 overlapping strips (placed 20cm apart), still no grow tent / reflections gain, you get:

Total score: 12165/48 squares = 253 umol/m2 x 0.48m2 = 121 umol/s total for 75W, 1.61 umol/watt, outside of a tent. This is so close to a Mars Hydro TS 1000's 1.65 umol/watt measured in a tent.

If I ever need to grow something that requires intense light, 3 strips in a 60x60 tent with reflecting foil would be perfect, I bet it hits 600+ peak in the middle then with barely any cold spots. Another easy way to boost score is to just add 2 reflectors on the top/bottom edge, the sides barely leak any light anyway.

You can modularly extend this basically indefinitely to the sides, just add 1 module per 20cm, but also to the top/bottom - that makes the middle hot zone taller so you get less top/bottom drop in light intensity.

(In hindsight I should have measured a bigger area in the vertical direction so I can simulate extending it to top/bottom too...)

Heat management

At 25W per strip, you don't need much more than just a backing aluminium plate (60x3=180cm2). Use anodized as it has far better emission coefficient. My infrared thermometer says the back is at 45°C and the peak number on the LED side is ~55°C.

Machining the new reflector from aluminium including the sides will increase the surface area to 840cm2 - overkill. It's basically a plate with 2 bends, cost is ~13 euros each which makes them more expensive than the LED module it is mounted on.

Reflector improvements

What you really want is a perfect beam source sending light straight down, like this

A parallel source like that means there is zero impact of distance from source / height on light output and zero losses to the sides. Too bad it is impossible with point sources like LEDs. Narrow lenses get close but it is way too much work to glue one lens on per LED chip.

The prototype reflector #1 has a +/- 45 degrees angle to the sides, which leads to a pretty wide beam and light loss if the plants are not all at the same height. My basil is super tall, followed by rosemary, but the tomatoes and chilies are barely 10cm high, this leads to epic light leaks out of the sides and lighting up the streets, my shelves are next to a window to get 10-100k lux for 10 hours a day of natural light. I went back to the drawing board and came up with a new and improved version that looks more like this - going wide and tall, ~4.5cm down from the LED height and not much wider.

It is almost straight down but it really still needs an angle, a plain 45x50 aluminium U profile leads to internal reflection craziness like image #2, crazy how going from 90 degrees (straight down) to 102.5° changes everything.

Todo
  • Prototype reflector design v2.
  • If light leak issue is fixed, send final design to metal shop to get rid of that super wobbly / wonky cardboard reflector. My IRL cut and paste skills are so bad...
  • Rerun the light measurements with final 100% aluminium reflectors.
  • Also measure exactly on axis in the middle and to the top/bottom, do a 80x40 or 100x40 area instead of 60x60.
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

miles wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:21 pm
Kink wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:58 am
9" away:

12" away:
Reflector:

Without Reflector:
13" away:
Reflector:
Without Reflector:
Huh, that's a lot less effect than mine. Can you try drawing the LED strip + reflector on Ray Optics Simulation so we can see how the light bounces around?

I'm typing up a reply to this thread with my initial test results - no tent what so ever in a wide open space just to show what a single LM561C based Samsung F-series SI-B8V261560WW can do, running at 25W from the wall / 1050 mA.
"Huh, that's a lot less effect than mine. "
Agreed. but the reflector was many inches away from the heatsink or was just haphazardly thrown on top free floating. Plus the reflector needs cleaned it has thermal paste stuck to it and is probably dirty as to why results aren't as pronounced as i remember seeing much bigger numbers when I tried it with more strips also. But using ROS, my design seems to be doing exactly as I'd like it to...flat top reflector with slightly angled edges.
Example.JPG
miles
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:18 pm
Thanks for sharing the links and info, looking forward to your test results...

My early tests of reflectors with E26 base LED bulbs (Globes removed) resulted in both Hot and "Cold" Spots, High and Low intensity areas as the canopy elevated up towards the light. It also required that the lights be raised higher for the increased intensity, which increased the size of cold spots. With the bare 120° diodes there was more uniform spread especially with at least a 3-sided surround / reflective enclosure. Haven't tried reflectors with LED Strips due to the better Form Factor and uniform coverage / spread with and without reflective surrounds.
Lenses and reflectors seem to be a very tricky science, almost an art to design it well. Fortunately the strip form factor makes it easier by ignoring one dimension, flattening it to 2D makes it easy to simulate it in that browser app and design something that is both easy to build / cheap to order and effective.

Crazy how your bulbs produced weird patterns, how wide was the beam pattern? My previous "setup" is just 4 GU10 36° spot lights in a row on the dining table, that results in a decent uniform bright line where I could place my seedlings and young plants. But extending this idea means: DIY with 230V, let's not do that in a wet area, and crappy lm/watt of 80.

I have no doubt though that a 4x4=16 lamp setup in a grid would do well enough for my goal of just growing peppers and herbs, 9600lm @ 2700K CRI90 ~= 160 umol/s @ 120W, maybe 120 umol/s net if you take out some for losses via sides. Not very power efficient though, these Samsung strips are clearly far better.