Small build for succulents

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
ukstripbuilder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the in-depth explainer. I'm definitely intending to run under the SELV limit.
PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 am
  • -54xx Driver has a 27 - 54 Vdc “CC Region", no adjustments needed and is the best selection for your 2S/6P Circuit @ 47.5 Vf.
Does this really require "no adjustments"? Surely I still need to set the current pot to my desired current limit or the strips will pull way too much current?
PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:37 am
The “Mode” terminology is confusing, it’s either;
  • CV (Parallel or Series/Parallel wired) Driver or
  • CC (Series wired) Driver.
The MeanWell CV + CC "Mode" Drivers are simply CV Drivers with internal circuitry that automatically adjusts the "CC (Voltage) Region" to output the maximum rated Watts, but it's still a CV Driver there is no actual "Mode" selection, just CV or CC Driver Selection.
I'm struggling a bit to understand the distinction you're making here.

Looking at this graph:
Screenshot 2021-06-21 at 13.49.15.png
Do you not essentially choose whether you are providing constant current or constant voltage by adjusting the Voltage / Current pots and whichever limit you hit first given the IV curve of the strips is the mode you are operating in?

I'm sure I'm missing something here! Thanks for your persistence!
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

• The "CC Region" / Voltage range for CV Drivers is automatically adjusted from the Driver's internal circuitry and "Sensed" Vf of the connected LED Strips (Parallel or Series/Parallel Circuit).
  • The Maximum output (Watts) is manually adjusted at the internal "Io" (Current) Pot and or the external 100K Ohm Pot (or fixed 10K - 100K Ohm resistor) if -A, -B or -AB suffix LED Drivers are selected.
  • The internal "Vo" (Voltage) Pot of selected -A or -AB suffix LED Drivers is only (rarely) used to manually adjust the Maximum output Voltage, which may also limit the max current due to; Power Calculation... Watts = Volts * Amps.

You simply Select a CV Driver (HLG-120H-54xx) for your Parallel Wiring (or a CC Driver for Series Wiring). Selected;
  • for output Watts and
  • for Vf (forward Volts at Strips)

You also select the desired / required manual options, either;
  • None: Blank suffix, no adjustment options.
  • or Manual Current Limiting: -A suffix, 50 - 100% output Watts. (typically "Io" Pot adjustment only)
  • or Manual Dimming: -B suffix, 10 - 100% output Watts.
  • or Both -AB suffix.
ukstripbuilder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks, I think I've got it now!

Before I put my order through, I was also considering whether I might be better off buying the 2ft (560mm) strips and running these only in parallel. As they run at the same voltage, just double the current, this would leave the door open for increasing the size of the light by expanding in series later, where this wouldn't be possible with the 1ft strips (whilst remaining under 60V SELV).

The catch with this seems to be the HLG-120H drivers don't seem to fit as well for parallel only. At a glance I think the driver to use would be the HLG-120H-30AB with the current limited to 3A resulting in 23.75V/3A. However, should I want to run the strips a bit harder, the 4A max limit on the current pot would mean I could only get as high as 24.05V/4A which is only 96W on the 120W driver. In contrast the 2S6P layout would allow reaching 48.4V/2.3A which is ~110W.

Am I missing an obvious better driver choice for the 2fts in parallel or is 2S6P really just that much of a better fit?
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

ukstripbuilder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:43 pm
Thanks, I think I've got it now!

Before I put my order through, I was also considering whether I might be better off buying the 2ft (560mm) strips and running these only in parallel. As they run at the same voltage, just double the current, this would leave the door open for increasing the size of the light by expanding in series later, where this wouldn't be possible with the 1ft strips (whilst remaining under 60V SELV).

The catch with this seems to be the HLG-120H drivers don't seem to fit as well for parallel only. At a glance I think the driver to use would be the HLG-120H-30AB with the current limited to 3A resulting in 23.75V/3A. However, should I want to run the strips a bit harder, the 4A max limit on the current pot would mean I could only get as high as 24.05V/4A which is only 96W on the 120W driver. In contrast the 2S6P layout would allow reaching 48.4V/2.3A which is ~110W.

Am I missing an obvious better driver choice for the 2fts in parallel or is 2S6P really just that much of a better fit?
You're welcome... I think you are still missing the "CV + CC Mode" operation, there is no "Catch". Think in Total required Watts not in Amps. ;)
  • The Meanwell HLG and XLG series, "CV + CC Mode" Drivers actually have 100% output Watts at the low end of their Voltage Range (CC Region).
  • The HLG-120H-54xx will output the full 120 Watts at 27 VDC, the internal circuitry adjusts the Output Amps up to the require ~ 4.45 Amps, it's a CV Driver the Voltage is Limited, Current is automatically adjusted to the "Limited" Amperage setting of either Max Rated Output (120 Watts), -A, -B and or -AB manual settings.
  • The Older Technology calculations do not apply to the newer "CV + CC Mode" Drivers, they will output 100% of rated Watts when the connected LED Strips' Vf are within their "CC Region".
  • Any Selected CV Driver wired Parallel or Series Parallel, 24 or 48 Vf can be adjusted / dimmed down to 70 Watts from 120 Watts, if they have -A, -B or -AB option.
I use XLG-240-H-AB drivers for 240+ Watts, wired in 2-Series/Parallel Circuits, anywhere from ~ 39 Vf - 50 Vf, for 19 Vf - 25 Vf Samsung and Bridgelux LED Strips...
Last edited by PeteR_1 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukstripbuilder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:01 pm
  • The HLG-120H-54xx will output the full 120 Watts at 27 VDC, the internal circuitry adjusts the Output Amps up to the require ~ 4.45 Amps, it's a CV Driver the Voltage is Limited, Current is automatically adjusted to the "Limited" Amperage setting of either Max Rated Output (120 Watts), -A, -B and or -AB manual settings.
Looking at this example specifically, I think the issue is that on an A/AB model, the highest the current pot can go is 2.3A. Given the IV curve of the strips and the 2S6P configuration, the highest the voltage could get is about 48.4V. 48.4V * 2.3A = 110 watts. Because of the current pot limit and the IV curve of the strips, I don't think you can quite reach the full 120W.
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

ukstripbuilder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:23 pm
Looking at this example specifically, I think the issue is that on an A/AB model, the highest the current pot can go is 2.3A. Given the IV curve of the strips and the 2S6P configuration, the highest the voltage could get is about 48.4V. 48.4V * 2.3A = 110 watts. Because of the current pot limit and the IV curve of the strips, I don't think you can quite reach the full 120W.
The "CV + CC mode", HLG-120H- Drivers:
  • -A can only adjust down to ~ 50% or ~ 60 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max @ 48.4 V.
  • -AB can adjust and dim to ~ 10% or ~ 6.0 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max @ 48.4 V.
Last edited by PeteR_1 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukstripbuilder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm
The -A can only adjust down to ~ 50% or ~ 60 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max.
The -AB can adjust and dim to ~ 10% or ~ 6.0 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max.
I agree the driver can deliver 120W, what I'm saying is that given the IV curve of the strips in 2S6P, together with the current pot max, you can't quite reach 120W.

Say the IV curve of the strips was such that at 52.17V the strips drew 2.3A, you could then reach the full 120W.
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

ukstripbuilder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm
PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:29 pm
The -A can only adjust down to ~ 50% or ~ 60 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max.
The -AB can adjust and dim to ~ 10% or ~ 6.0 Watts but can and will output 120+ Watts max.
I agree the driver can deliver 120W, what I'm saying is that given the IV curve of the strips, together with the current pot max, you can't quite reach 120W.
Say the IV curve of the strips was such that at 52.17V the strips drew 2.3A, you could then reach the full 120W.
The driver's internal circuitry will auto-adjust to allow for 120 Watt output. that's the CV + CC mode or operation, Amps is not "Fixed", its rated 2.3 A at 54 Vdc but varies to 4.45 A at 27 Vdc...
ukstripbuilder
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:36 pm
The driver's internal circuitry will auto-adjust to allow for 120 Watt output. that's the CV + CC mode or operation, Amps is not "Fixed", its rated 2.3 A at 54 Vdc but varies to 4.45 A at 27 Vdc...
OK, so what you're saying is the "Current Adj. Range" in the datasheet is specifically for 54V, and the way the current pot actually works is to adjust between 50% and 100% of the available current at any voltage in the "Constant Current region" range?
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

ukstripbuilder wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:55 pm
OK, so what you're saying is the "Current Adj. Range" in the datasheet is specifically for 54V, and the way the current pot actually works is to adjust between 50% and 100% of the available current at any voltage in the "Constant Current region" range?
Yes...
That's the LED Driver's and -A (-AB) internal Pot operation...
HLG-120H- CC Drive Mode Operation...
HLG-120H- CC Drive Mode Operation...