Bridgelux EB Series Gen2

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

dopenewb22 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:46 pm
LEDG wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:41 am
You're right - the tool is for gen. 1. The voltage is kind of in a funny place for these gen.2 strips. It ends up being riiiiight at the bottom of a 24V driver's adjustment range, and juuust out of reach of a 20V driver's max voltage.

To play it safe, you might want to just run series on this one. An HLG-185H-C1050 would fit the bill nicely and you could be sure that you're not going to overpower the strips if you aren't able to set the voltage just right.
Hey @LEDG, by reading the datasheet for the 280mm strips https://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default ... ev%20A.pdf, it seems the comfort zone for the strips will be between 18.5V and 20.5V.

If I understand correctly, at 80°C it seems the voltage increases by 1.5%. so we would be between 18.8V and 20.8V. Wouldn't an HLG-120H-20 rated at 17-22V should do the trick ? I need to clarify this as I'm looking into building a 12 strip 90W panel with these Gen2 :)

Cheers

Note: I see that for the HLG-240H-20 that range is narrowed down to 18.6-21.4V. Seems tougher to manage for high power setups
Yeah you're totally right- the 20V drivers should work fine. I must have been a little cross-eyed when I read the data sheet the first time. I realized this when responding to this thread last night.

A 120H could work, depending on how hard you want to run the strips. That driver would work out to running them at roughly 60% power. You could also bump up to an HLG-150 to drive them a little harder without maxing them out - it's always nice to have that extra power on tap.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Buck5050
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Well DigiKey sent out my order today. It will probably be here next week some time due to the Holiday weekend. I went down to a local steel warehouse and bought 16' length of 1" channel. I also grabbed a MeanWell HLG-185H-C1050B from Arrow.

The current parts list:

8 - Bridgelux BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3 = $81.92 (total cost after shipping)
1 - Mean Well HLG-185H-c1050B = $49.98
1 - 1"x16'x1/8" Aluminum Chanel = $16.50
1 - Assorment Pack Wago 221 = $21.00
1 - 15mmx25mx.25mm Aikenuo Thermal Double Side tape = $14.00
1 - 1/8" adjustable rope ratchet hanger = $5.00
1 - Cased Potentiometer (rapid led) = $10.00

I have a few cut off pieces of fixture wire that should be enough for the connections. Am I missing anything to make this work?
Last edited by Buck5050 on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Buck5050 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:58 am
Well DigiKey sent out my order today. It will probably be here next week some time due to the Holiday weekend. I went down to a local steel warehouse and bought 16' length of 1" channel. I also grabbed a MeanWell HLG-185H-C1050B from Arrow.

The current parts list:

8 - Bridgelux BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3 = $81.92 (total cost after shipping)
1 - Mean Well HLG-185H-c1050B = $49.98
1 - 1"x16'x1/8" Aluminum Chanel = $16.50
1 - Assorment Pack Wago 221 = $21.00
1 - 15mmx25mx.25mm Aikenuo Thermal Double Side tape = $14.00
1 - 1/8" adjustable rope ratchet hanger = $5.00

I have a few cut off pieces of fixture wire that should be enough for the connections. I am looking to buy a potentiometer from Rapid LED and will update the final cost after I purchase. Am I missing anything to make this work?
Very nice,

Kill-a-watt meters are nice to have, especially when determining your dim levels.

I mentioned this in another thread, but if you’re in the lower 48, and interested in borrowing an Apogee Quantum sensor to determine your PAR levels, let me know and I can loan it to you for a nominal fee.
Buck5050
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am in the lower 48 and I might just take you up on that Ted once I completely finish this build. I am already wondering if this is not enough for a 2x4 tent. I seen a few people running 12 strips @ the 1050ma with the same square footage. I didn't leave a lot of headroom on the driver so I could add more strips later. Another thought I had was to add a couple of QB 288 on their own driver and space the strips around them. Though LEDG had some nice looking QB 96's that I believe would fill in nicely Either way I am pretty excited to be jumping into this build.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

My trick for determining coverage for these diodes is to think in terms of Quantum Boards. I know 1 QB covers a 2x2 nicely at 100-130W, and that's about 300 diodes, so you can extrapolate based on this. A 2X4 would require about 600 diodes.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Buck5050 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:13 am
I am in the lower 48 and I might just take you up on that Ted once I completely finish this build. I am already wondering if this is not enough for a 2x4 tent. I seen a few people running 12 strips @ the 1050ma with the same square footage. I didn't leave a lot of headroom on the driver so I could add more strips later. Another thought I had was to add a couple of QB 288 on their own driver and space the strips around them. Though LEDG had some nice looking QB 96's that I believe would fill in nicely Either way I am pretty excited to be jumping into this build.
I'm in a 2x4 and for me to get 1000 ppfd I have to run my 24 2' samsung strips at about 380 watts from the wall. I'd be curious to see how these strips do, but depending on what youre trying to do, I think you'll need more juice when the time comes.
Buck5050
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Oddly enough I didn't see diode count on the data sheet for these strips. Maybe I am missing something. I counted them from the dimension layout portion but I am not sure the diode count is accurate since all it refers to is the mounting holes and testing points. As an added bonus I damn near went crossed eyed trying to count them but came up with over 100 diodes per strip.

Ted what I am trying to do in this space at the moment is build a light that I can use from seed to flower. I have no experience with these strips but my gut tells me that's I am gonna need more light. I am also leaning to the 4000k or 5000k spectrum as I would like the option to veg seedlings or clones. I know without proper testing we can't be sure but based of experience how many more strips would I need to get around 800-1000 ppfd across a canopy with 1050ma max current?
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Buck5050 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:03 pm
Oddly enough I didn't see diode count on the data sheet for these strips. Maybe I am missing something. I counted them from the dimension layout portion but I am not sure the diode count is accurate since all it refers to is the mounting holes and testing points. As an added bonus I damn near went crossed eyed trying to count them but came up with over 100 diodes per strip.

Ted what I am trying to do in this space at the moment is build a light that I can use from seed to flower. I have no experience with these strips but my gut tells me that's I am gonna need more light. I am also leaning to the 4000k or 5000k spectrum as I would like the option to veg seedlings or clones. I know without proper testing we can't be sure but based of experience how many more strips would I need to get around 800-1000 ppfd across a canopy with 1050ma max current?
Id probably get another 8 strips and the same driver. If you wired them in an alternating fashion, you could run 1/2 for veg and then turn them all on for flower. Vegging cannabis only needs like 500 ppfd. Theres a ton of different ways to look at spectrum, but my personal opinion is 4000k is good choice for flower and veg. Hope that helps!
Buck5050
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I think we are on the same page with this build ted. I can order the 5000k now or wait till the 4000k comes in stock at digikey. I like shorter bushier plants in general as height seems to become an issue by the end of a grow for me. So the more blue in the spectrum doesn't bother me. I got to poking around some more and found the CXM22 by luminous. The forward voltages look to be 33.5v to 37.5v. I am curious if I could add one of these to the HLG-185h-c1050 with the 8 gen2s. Rough calculation its about 195V. I thought I heard LEDG mention in one of his recent driver videos that the mean wells could push slight over there rated voltages with no real issues.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Buck5050 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:31 pm
I think we are on the same page with this build ted. I can order the 5000k now or wait till the 4000k comes in stock at digikey. I like shorter bushier plants in general as height seems to become an issue by the end of a grow for me. So the more blue in the spectrum doesn't bother me. I got to poking around some more and found the CXM22 by luminous. The forward voltages look to be 33.5v to 37.5v. I am curious if I could add one of these to the HLG-185h-c1050 with the 8 gen2s. Rough calculation its about 195V. I thought I heard LEDG mention in one of his recent driver videos that the mean wells could push slight over there rated voltages with no real issues.
The driver datasheet says max voltage is 190v, so 195v doesnt seem like that much of a stretch. Even if there is a hard limit at 190, the loss of the 5v would get spread between all of the strips and this cob, so it wouldnt be noticeable. I think most people that are interested in growing with diy leds have seen growmau5's quantum canopy build, which combined QBs with cobs on the edges, so this feels in the same vein. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.