220watt track build

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Clueless
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi

I posted one thread a little while back and really got some good helpful input. Thanks

I would now like to hear what you all think about putting together a rail.

I would like it to be 50mm wide and 1000mm long

Want to have 220 watts of leds running on it.

Have been looking at the 3535 ceramic 3w.

Make 5 x 50mm by 200mm strips with 44 leds on each strip.

Going to use:

440nm
660nm
730nm

120degree lens

The 440nm
peakwave length 435-450nm - forward current -350 - forward voltage min - .2.8v -max. - 3.4v typ. - 3.0v
luminour Flux (lm) or Radiometric power(mW) min.-450mW - max. - 520mW

The 660nm
peakwave length 650-670nm - forward current -350 - forward voltage min. - 2v - max. ? typ. - 2.2v
luminour Flux (lm) or Radiometric power(mW) min.-350mW - max. - 400mW

The 730nm
peakwave length 725-745nm - forward current -350 - forward voltage min. - 1.8v -max. ? typ. - 2v
luminour Flux (lm) or Radiometric power(mW) min.- 224mW - max. - 310mW

Going to mix the colors at:

27% Blue of the optical power
66% Red of the optical power
7% Far Red of the optical power

These are approximate, it will be fine if I have to go a bit more or less in either direction.

On each strip. I'm looking at fixing 44 leds in as close a % to my chosen colors as possible.

Is this doable?

Have a pdf on the leds but could not work out how to attach it.. So if more info is needed message me and I'll try and work out how to send it to you.

I know there is the forward voltage to forward current that needs to be looked at
and relative intensity to forward current

These figures are on a chart so can provide this.

Any good advice would be most welcome..

As always

Clueless
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Few questions for ya.

Are you looking to get this strip custom built in China or are you going to solder it yourself? Any reason why you're not going LM561C or a similar white diode? Are these just to supplement white light? Do you know what sort of driver you want this to fit on? Is it intended to run at a lower voltage like 36V or 54V, or will it be higher? When you're designing something this involved from scratch, there's certainly a lot of thought to put into it on the front end.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Clueless
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you for the input LEDG. You always send me off thinking with your very informative reply's to post on here.

Was looking at the color range I stated as being ideal for giving plants the colors needed. I'm wrong in thinking they would only need these to be healthy and fast growing. Have read a lot more since posting that.

The DIY led strip build designs you have posted are what really look to be the way for me to go. The Samsung F series sounds like the best option. With the LT-FB22B strips I can get the wattage at the voltage I would like to grow with. The 3000k strips seem to be the best choice. But look to be low on red.

My questions are can I add an extra strips of color to the 12 x LT-FB22B strip build? If I split the strips up into groups of four and fix them onto heat sinks. Giving me three rails at 216w -48v. Will the Mean well 480w and 240w drivers you have shown in the design allow me to add a bit of color of my choosing to each of these rails?? And how much can I add?? I can see it's not much. Will I be able to wire these added color strips in and keep the same voltage only increasing the wattage?

I have seen drivers that are 500w -48v and 300w -48v. Would these be better suited to handle the increase in wattage to each rail when I add the extra color? The drivers are Powerland.

Folks I know that I don't convey my explaining of what I want to do very well due to lack of knowledge. But if you can understand what I'm trying to do just tell me straight if it's wrong or another way to go about it. I do listen to the advice I'm given and appreciate it.

Clueless
r2k
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Is this doable?
Sure, I have to believe it would be very doable.
I know there is the forward voltage to forward current that needs to be looked at
and relative intensity to forward current
Yes. If you are going to run all the diodes at the same current (350 mAmps) that means you are going to run all the diodes in series, and that means you are going to need a constant current power source. Please confirm or revise my thoughts.

It seems the first thing you must do is determine the exact number of diodes of each type.

Once you know the number of diodes for each color, you can figure out the forward voltage for the entire chain of LEDs by looking at the datasheets, figuring out the voltage for one diode based on the current you choose, and then multiplying each voltage by the number of diodes for that color.

Once you know the voltage for each color, add them up to get the total voltage for the entire strip and multiply by the current to get the wattage needed.

Now you know the minimum wattage needed for the supply, the current it will source, and the voltage needed.

I think you will find that if the current is low (350 mAmps) you will need a high voltage. I wonder if you can find a standard constant current power supply that can provide less than half an amp and a relatively high voltage. It might be possible. You will need to work out the numbers and then go shopping to see if it is out there.

If you can't find the combination of high voltage and low current, you need to start dividing your colors up into strings with the same number of each LED type. For instance, you might get a combination of something like five strings, each with 22 red LEDs, 13 blue, and 3 far red. All LEDs in the string use the same current and are wired in series. Since all the strings contain the same combination of LEDs, then each string will require the same voltage and you can use a constant voltage source.

I am not a big fan of running LEDs on constant voltage supplies. It does work, but you have to be much more careful when running the LEDs close to their limits. The LEDs are much more susceptible to thermal runaway if the surrounding temperature gets too high. Then again, it's really the only practical way to run large numbers of LEDs on standard power supplies.

-r2k