First time build for peppers

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello All!

I am going to be building a set up for my hot peppers. I've always been a CMH or HPS lamp type of guy but am now ready to make the switch after finding this website and doing many hours of research.

I want to run this by the fine folks here to make sure I'm on the right track.

1st Cob - CXB3590-0000-000N0HCB30G
2nd Cob - CXB3590-0000-000N0HCD35G
3rd Cob - CXB3590-0000-000N0HCD40G
4th cob - CXB3590-0000-000N0HCD50G

Quantum panels - 2x - QB288 QUANTUM BOARD @ 3000k

1x - HLG-480H-C2100B

I am getting some 20lb aluminum heatsinks from some RF Amplifiers for the COBS.

What connectors and wire should I get. I want the best. Gauge? Solid?

What else am I missing? Thank you in advance!!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hey there.

How big is your grow space? That driver won't be big enough for all those lights - you'll need to break it up into a pair of drivers. This isn't a big deal because you can tie the dimmers together so they dim simultaneously from a single potentiometer.

Depending on your grow space size, I'd recommend running the COBs at 50W each and the QBs at 2100mA each. This would require:

1x HLG-185H-C1400
1x HLG-240H-C2100

This would work out to 440W of light which would be about big enough for a 4x4 (although just a tad shy of the recommended 30W-40W per square foot).

I don't think there's much point in using 4 different color temperatures - you'll just end up with an average of them all, probably somewhere between 3500K-4000K.

18 gauge solid core wire will work for this setup. You can use Wago 222-412 or 222-413 or whatever size you need. Use something like the LLT-L20 3 pin connector for your AC connection.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So if I may ask, what kind of peppers are you growing?
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:42 am
Hey there.

How big is your grow space? That driver won't be big enough for all those lights - you'll need to break it up into a pair of drivers. This isn't a big deal because you can tie the dimmers together so they dim simultaneously from a single potentiometer.

Depending on your grow space size, I'd recommend running the COBs at 50W each and the QBs at 2100mA each. This would require:

1x HLG-185H-C1400
1x HLG-240H-C2100

This would work out to 440W of light which would be about big enough for a 4x4 (although just a tad shy of the recommended 30W-40W per square foot).

I don't think there's much point in using 4 different color temperatures - you'll just end up with an average of them all, probably somewhere between 3500K-4000K.

18 gauge solid core wire will work for this setup. You can use Wago 222-412 or 222-413 or whatever size you need. Use something like the LLT-L20 3 pin connector for your AC connection.
I have about a 4x5 area for my peppers.

I realized that I picked the wrong power supply. Thank you for the correction on that! So that would mean the cobs are running 1.4 amps constant current?

Light colors temps are kind of an experiment for me. Just wanted to try it out. Thank you for the expert advice on this though!

Sweet, I'll order connectors and wire today. I'm going to wait a day or two on the lights. I just can't decide because the more I read in quantum panels the more I think I should just go with all of those. What do you think?
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sweeper wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:27 am
So if I may ask, what kind of peppers are you growing?
I have Grenada seasoning pepper, Carolina reaper, Malaysian Guarong, Tobago’s, Peach Habanero, 7 pot bubnkegum, Brazilian starfish pepper, purple bhut jolokia. I can go on and on. Lol.
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I just found these strips from reading other awesome posts here. I think I will get 3 of these lights.

SI-B8VZ91B20WW - 3000k , LT-FB24B (288 Diodes, 16 Series x 18 Parallel, Voltage = ~48V, Max Current = 3600mA)

Looks like they run at 2.24 amps at 46 volts. So to find my driver I do 46x3=138volts with a current of 2.24 amps. This is where I get confused on what power supply to get. Would I need a HLG-480H-C2800?

Looking at these heatsinks. http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-e ... -heatsink/
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sonnycohopie wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:10 am
I just found these strips from reading other awesome posts here. I think I will get 3 of these lights.

SI-B8VZ91B20WW - 3000k , LT-FB24B (288 Diodes, 16 Series x 18 Parallel, Voltage = ~48V, Max Current = 3600mA)

Looks like they run at 2.24 amps at 46 volts. So to find my driver I do 46x3=138volts with a current of 2.24 amps. This is where I get confused on what power supply to get. Would I need a HLG-480H-C2800?

Looking at these heatsinks. http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-e ... -heatsink/
Can't go wrong there! that's the two row version of what I used in my build. (FB22B)

I like where you are going man. And I'm glad to see there are some more pepper people on here! MAN! that is a lot of heavy hitters! Are you growing all those at once? I would love to try a few of those. I am most excited about this pepper I found called "pretty purple" :?: They look short and bushy which will work well for my hydro garden. I am growing some bhut jolokia's outside along with a few others. ghost peppers and reapers are so large and hot I can't make use of all a plant will produce. So I'm really banking on my thai hots and these pretty purples. They are bite sized and hopefully sandwich friendly haha.

This is them https://www.seedsnow.com/products/peppe ... purple-hot

I'm just wrapping up my build and would be happy to shoot any advice I can, so if you have any questions let me know!
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sweeper wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:05 am
Sonnycohopie wrote:

Can't go wrong there! that's the two row version of what I used in my build. (FB22B)

I like where you are going man. And I'm glad to see there are some more pepper people on here! MAN! that is a lot of heavy hitters! Are you growing all those at once? I would love to try a few of those. I am most excited about this pepper I found called "pretty purple" :?: They look short and bushy which will work well for my hydro garden. I am growing some bhut jolokia's outside along with a few others. ghost peppers and reapers are so large and hot I can't make use of all a plant will produce. So I'm really banking on my thai hots and these pretty purples. They are bite sized and hopefully sandwich friendly haha.

This is them https://www.seedsnow.com/products/peppe ... purple-hot

I'm just wrapping up my build and would be happy to shoot any advice I can, so if you have any questions let me know!

Yes some real heavy hitters. I like peppers from all over the world. I like mild peppers too, the hots are just more fun sometimes. Lol. I usually grow 1 kind at a time and do about 4 plants. Then I make chili powder and hot sauce for specific chili's.

Pretty purple looks awesome! I had some purple jalapeno and purple Serrano's in the outside garden last summer. Made a super cool chili powder that I put in glass salt/pepper jars. It's pretty purple.

If you ever want some seeds just let me know man. I get plenty and I like sharing. Especially with people who help me with my led project. You've already earned yourself some heirloom jalapeno seeds.

What kind of hydro do you do? I played around with DWC with great success.

I love me a pepperoni sandwich with a good pepper in it.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Sonnycohopie wrote:

That 2.24 is just the test current that Samsung used to get the values they published on their data sheet. I'd suggest running these at about 75% of max. Max is 3.6A, so you'd be shooting for around 2.7A. If you're running them in parallel, the voltage will stay the same and the current will be added among the strips, so you'd need a driver that could output ~48V and is capable of supplying 8.1A.

The HLG-320H-48 lands just shy of this and would be a great match.

Also, those heat sinks are perfect.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Sonnycohopie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 am
Sonnycohopie wrote:

That 2.24 is just the test current that Samsung used to get the values they published on their data sheet. I'd suggest running these at about 75% of max. Max is 3.6A, so you'd be shooting for around 2.7A. If you're running them in parallel, the voltage will stay the same and the current will be added among the strips, so you'd need a driver that could output ~48V and is capable of supplying 8.1A.

The HLG-320H-48 lands just shy of this and would be a great match.

Also, those heat sinks are perfect.

Awesome! Thank you, 2.7amps it is. Could I run them in series? Is there a advantage or disadvantage? What power supply would you recommend if wiring them in series is allowed?

Thank you Im ordering the heatsinks tonight. 👍