Pc grow box setup info

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi! First of all i would like to thank Master Ledg and all members of this forum for the precious info you give. I've an old pc case that i want to use for a microgrowing project and i need some info about lighting.
The pc case measures in cm 44,5 x 18x 41,7 H in inch about 17,5 x 7,1 x 16,4 H
I was thinking to use samsung f series 1 foot strip LT-F284B 3000k, but how many strips can i use in this space? Which driver? Thanks!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Cool... I’ve been waiting for somebody to do one of these micro builds on here. Shit, you wouldn’t need much for that space.

1x LT-F284B on an HLG-40H-24 would likely be all you need.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks Ledg!

Can you suggest where i can buy a single 1 foot strip?
Because none of the online sellers i've seen sell single strip, olso on digikey the minimum quantity for this item is 160 pieces
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

FREESCRAVEN wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm
Thanks Ledg!

Can you suggest where i can buy a single 1 foot strip?
Because none of the online sellers i've seen sell single strip, olso on digikey the minimum quantity for this item is 160 pieces
first welcome to the forum 😁

the 160 quantity is only because they are out of stock atm..( they put up the whole box/package minimums untill they get more in to sell as singles)

digital key is one of the better places to buy from... when I used "octopart" to search for other suppliers... digikey was the only option..

so you have to wait for those strips... another option (that is in stock atm) would be...
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/6236283. that's the 3000k there's more of the 3500k and 4000k in stock

two of those on a https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Me ... 2DOA%3d%3d. would be about equal to the double row F strips.

or there's always the quantum board option https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/c ... cts/hlg-40. when ever it comes back in stock 😄

more and more strips and boards being out of stock is a good thing!! more people are diy ing it over buying overpriced junk!!😁 can't wait to see the tower.. I've always wanted to see one being built/in use
again welcome to the forum
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi Jolly green
Thanks for the advice! :D
I think i'll wait for the restock of the F SERIES on digikey, hoping it's fast, otherwise i'll use the EB Bridgelux as you suggested.
Do you think both setups need heatsink in this mall space?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

depends on what the top of the case inside is like.. do you plan to mount directly to the case? or have them hanging so you can adjust the height?

if your mounting to the case and it's aluminum you should be ok... a small piece of channel wouldn't hurt to mount to either. if your adjusting height definitely heat sink something to it.. extra thermal protection is always a great thing... it's one of the main reasons cheap leds burn out.. they skimp on thermal protection!
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok Jolly Green, yes the top is alluminium, but i think i'll use an heatsink.
I hope to start as soon as possible!
Thanks again!
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys
In the end i decided to buy the bridgelux eb 1 foot strips because digikey does not sell the samsung f series in single pieces. Jolly green the eb bridgelux you saggested are the 2 feet 560 mm but the pc case is only 445 mmm.
So how many eb 1 foot strips in that space?
I was thinking to run them at 700 ma, which driver can i use?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

FREESCRAVEN wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:57 pm
Hi guys
In the end i decided to buy the bridgelux eb 1 foot strips because digikey does not sell the samsung f series in single pieces. Jolly green the eb bridgelux you saggested are the 2 feet 560 mm but the pc case is only 445 mmm.
So how many eb 1 foot strips in that space?
I was thinking to run them at 700 ma, which driver can i use?
700ma is max on those. LG's 75% recommend range is closer to 500ma.. I got two things I can think of..
2 strips gen 2 strips with a apc-25-500 https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/me ... goQg%3D%3D
would put two strips in series at 75% but no dimming..

or go 3 EB gen 2 strips on a HLG-40h-20. https://www.mouser.com/productdetail/me ... q4zA%3D%3D
that would give each strip the ability to go closer to max ( 2A/3=666ma) and you can dim it back.
FREESCRAVEN
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok Jolly Green thanks, the 3 strips setup was what i had in mind, but i'm a bit confused.
Correct me if i'm wrong
HLG-40h-20 is a constant current driver 20v 40w 2000ma, so you meant a series wiring, right?
The eb 1 foot strip has max drive current 700ma with a voltage of about 20v and about 14w.
So 3 strips wiring in series need a 700ma(or less) and 60v driver.
With HLG-40h-20 i'm running each strip at 2000ma not 666ma as you said and only 20v output.
Am i doing something wrong?