Automated control system - any experience or directions?

Discuss garden automation systems and software here, including commercial products or Raspberry Pi and Arduino DIY setups.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

hideouspenguinboy wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:35 pm
As for adding new pH/TDS, I bet he would consider some help to add those features. OpenSource community stuff and all. I can't imagine it would be super hard to import code from other people open projects using it.
I'm slowly taking my first steps with Python in the meanwhile too. Unfortunately googling my way around this I wasn't able to find a block of code for a pH/TDS controller that I could just patch on Mycodo. It should be pretty straightforward -- take a pH+TDS reading every X minutes, (chart + display it online, like any fancy IoT toy,) and have a if-then function that activates peristaltic pumps connected to bottles with either acid, base, or nutrient solutions. (Of course the pH/TDS range needs to be adjusted differently during different phases of the plant life.)

Kyle, the guy behind Mycodo, looks like a fantastic guy, and I imagine he'd also enjoy tinkering with light emitting diodes as well. I just can't gather sufficient chutzpah to write him "you've got a great project going, why don't you dedicate your time to add a feature that I'd like." I guess that's a personality defect?

@mrNLK: Raspberry Pi is a little computer. Turning on and off light switches using relays commanded by a program is a pretty simple function it can definitely help with. If all you want is to control the lights on a central timer, why not simply get a mechanical timer switch to control the power going to all fixtures? https://www.amazon.ca/Kuman-24-Hour-Dig ... 01G5C9RC8/ (or other variants, of course, to handle the electric load.)
hideouspenguinboy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 am
Kyle, the guy behind Mycodo, looks like a fantastic guy, and I imagine he'd also enjoy tinkering with light emitting diodes as well. I just can't gather sufficient chutzpah to write him "you've got a great project going, why don't you dedicate your time to add a feature that I'd like." I guess that's a personality defect?
I absolutely emailed him to ask him about features, and also sent him beer money because I'm using his product and he totally deserves it. Really chill person and happy to chat when he can. Just email and ask if he'd be interested, or at the very least collaborating. I'd absolutely be interested in learning some Python and helping too. I'm sure TheGrowingDude (IG and a blog) would also be interested. Maybe we can put together a Discord channel and all chat about automation. I'm already on the Growtube gamer one. (:
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I got one of these from a friend at work. AB PLC controller. I’m wanting to do something similar. I just haven’t gotten that far yet. I want it to control circulation for a rdwc setup as well as fans and lighting.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I recently bought a Raspberry Pi (to make a retrograming consolle, give Retropie a look!) but I have no time to actually get into linux and Python btw I feel more comfortable with Arduino, you can find lot of examples and code online (and I find c++ easier). If you don't want a fancy gui arduino is easier
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:49 pm
I recently bought a Raspberry Pi (to make a retrograming consolle, give Retropie a look!) but I have no time to actually get into linux and Python btw I feel more comfortable with Arduino, you can find lot of examples and code online (and I find c++ easier). If you don't want a fancy gui arduino is easier
I’m running retropie and it’s fantastic.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

On an entirely unrelated topic I now find myself in need of some custom JavaScript code, on top of this Python project that still hasn't happened. I wish finding a reliable programmer was as simple as finding a plumber.
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Do Meanwell B drivers output 10v on Dim+?
By placing a transistor between any pwm output of the arduino and Dim+ on the driver we could control the dimming
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

they're is a french arduino programmer quit famous , he's is finishing hes growduino and made few exemplaire of it, im going to receiv one soon, you can check his video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjcvkRPD2MA

and theire is the thread link ( but its french :/ ) :
https://www.cannaweed.com/forums/topic/ ... -en-cours/
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 pm
Do Meanwell B drivers output 10v on Dim+?
By placing a transistor between any pwm output of the arduino and Dim+ on the driver we could control the dimming
found this over on RIU.

For automation dimming-control 3 'sub-units' are needed :

-A Control Signal Source ( A microcontroller unit like Arduino Uno or Raspberry Pi )
- A 10 VDC power Supply
&
-A " PWM switch " .

http://www.rollitup.org/t/meanwell-led- ... on.838760/

crap load of info on there about the 3 in 1 dimming.. you'll want a scroll down half - 2/3rd the way down for the arduino part... he goes into all the parts.
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

for the guyz who know well arduino and electronic, but its in french:

https://www.cannaweed.com/forums/topic/ ... nter-grcc/