QB kits

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Doctor Ledpot
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I like some things about the NL Mega including the footprint, and what I think is the relatively even coverage it affords. Looking into and comparing QB offerings in fixtures and kits; in order to approximate these Mega features, I see, as one possibility, pairs of HLG 320W XL kits, spaced accordingly. I do realize that this approach would be a more costly option than, for instance, a single HLG 600 kit(4 QBs on a single substrate), having similar total input/output. The boards on the 320 kits are apparently driven much softer than those on the 600. Thoughts?

A newb at all of this, and wanting to get off to an ok start with LEDs. Would really like to build a light of my own design, but for the time being, will have enough to do with the hobby itself, let alone a hobby within a hobby.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yeah.. 2 of the 320xl kits would be pretty dang close to the same footprint as the NLmega. I would also assume it's roughly the same diode count.. ( 1728 with 6 288's) I didn't see NL list it.

the hlg600 does push them harder.. since its only 4 they're getting 2800ma each.. which is to close to max for me... 320 kits are pushing just under 2000ma (5.95/3=1983ma) to each.

another though.. buy 6 boards, two of the slate 2 3board heat sinks, the accessory pack, and a HLG-600h-54A or B... depending on if you want to mount the driver remote for easy dimming and less heat=a type or use the driver heat and run a potentiometer out to dim.= b type.

are they NL megas dual CCT? that could be another plus of the kits.. you can mix and match spectrums.

your starting off really good imo 😁 NL.. QB's both good starting points... I just love how simple QB's are to use... why I always recommend them to newer people.

cheers
Doctor Ledpot
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey, JGG, believe that we might have chatted briefly during one of the GML shows.

"yeah.. 2 of the 320xl kits would be pretty dang close to the same footprint as the NLmega. I would also assume it's roughly the same diode count.. ( 1728 with 6 288's) I didn't see NL list it."

had in my notes that the NL is 24 X 96 strips (2304 diodes) but didn't note exactly what diodes.

"the hlg600 does push them harder.. since its only 4 they're getting 2800ma each.. which is to close to max for me... 320 kits are pushing just under 2000ma (5.95/3=1983ma) to each."

Well the plus side to not pushing them as hard, might be less heat/an increase in longevity and/or efficiency, right? Or do the 320s run pretty hot anyway, idk?

"another though.. buy 6 boards, two of the slate 2 3board heat sinks, the accessory pack, and a HLG-600h-54A or B... depending on if you want to mount the driver remote for easy dimming and less heat=a type or use the driver heat and run a potentiometer out to dim.= b type."

Really hoping to not get too deep into the DIY thing at this time :P

"are they NL megas dual CCT? that could be another plus of the kits.. you can mix and match spectrums."

Don't know about that, but the available spectrums in the QBs looked better to me than what comes with the mega,(seemed quite blue heavy). One small plus for the mega is that it's just one fixture to hang, and daisy chainable to boot.

"your starting off really good imo 😁 NL.. QB's both good starting points... I just love how simple QB's are to use... why I always recommend them to newer people."

Thanks, and thanks for the response!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yes.. running cooler the better.. efficiency and longevity both improve.. with the slate 2 ( the triple is rated for 325w) style heat sink 2000ma each won't be bad at all... I run 2100ma (110ish watts) with my slate 1's ( only rated to 100 watts).. that's pushing it to the limit with no direct fan on it.. I only got the slate 1's because they fit perfect in the RapidLED substrate. I need to upgrade to slate 2's and make a different frame.. or add fans 😄

and yeah.. I'm always trying to help with QB questions on GML's show 😁 sending people here to find more info or ask questions 😁 I'm sure a few others have come over... but your the first to mention it 😁 awesome!!!!
cheers
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Doctor Ledpot wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 pm
I like some things about the NL Mega including the footprint, and what I think is the relatively even coverage it affords. Looking into and comparing QB offerings in fixtures and kits; in order to approximate these Mega features, I see, as one possibility, pairs of HLG 320W XL kits, spaced accordingly. I do realize that this approach would be a more costly option than, for instance, a single HLG 600 kit(4 QBs on a single substrate), having similar total input/output. The boards on the 320 kits are apparently driven much softer than those on the 600. Thoughts?

A newb at all of this, and wanting to get off to an ok start with LEDs. Would really like to build a light of my own design, but for the time being, will have enough to do with the hobby itself, let alone a hobby within a hobby.
Thanks for joining!

These QBs are a great way to get your feet wet in DIY LED since they're sort of a hybrid. The design work is done for you but you still have to built the kit. I have nothing but great things to say about the products and especially the guys that stand behind them. Robin and Stephen are fantastic to deal with.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Doctor Ledpot
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:54 am
yes.. running cooler the better.. efficiency and longevity both improve.. with the slate 2 ( the triple is rated for 325w) style heat sink 2000ma each won't be bad at all... I run 2100ma (110ish watts) with my slate 1's ( only rated to 100 watts).. that's pushing it to the limit with no direct fan on it.. I only got the slate 1's because they fit perfect in the RapidLED substrate. I need to upgrade to slate 2's and make a different frame.. or add fans 😄

and yeah.. I'm always trying to help with QB questions on GML's show 😁 sending people here to find more info or ask questions 😁 I'm sure a few others have come over... but your the first to mention it 😁 awesome!!!!
cheers
Thanks, I hadn't noticed, until you mentioned it, that the various slates have watt ratings on them. I now see that the wattage of the 320 kits actually exceeds the ratings for the included slates. Do you have pics of your build, here on the forum?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56

buried on page 8 in mid powered section😄
Mingfatech
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Aluminum cool fins .
 This is the most common way to dissipate heat , using aluminum heat sinks as part of the enclosure to increase the heat dissipation area . Thermal plastic shell . The use of LED insulation instead of aluminum heats /LED heat sink plastic cool body , can significantly improve the thermal radiation . Surface radiation heats / heated treatment . Radiation shell heats / heated radiation surface treatment , the simple are coated into / our of / from radiant heat paint , the heat can be taken away from the lamp shell surface radiation . Air fluid mechanics . The use of lamp shells / shelled shape , to create convection air , which is the lowest cost to strengthen the cool method . fan Longevity of the lamp inside the shell with efficient fan to enhance heat dissipation , low cost , good effect . However , to change the fan is more troublesome , nor suitable for outdoor , this design is relatively rare . Heat pipe . The use of heat pipe technology , the heat led by the LED chips / chipped to the housing cool fins . In the large lamps , such as street lights is a common design . Liquid bulb . Using liquid bulb packaging technology , a transparent liquid with high thermal conductivity is filled into the bulb of the lamp body . This is in addition to reflective principle , the only use of LED chips out of the smooth heat , heat technology . The use of lamp . In the family of smaller power LED lights , the lamp often uses / used the internal space , the heat of the drive circuit into part or all . This can be used as a screw head lamp with a larger metal surface cool , because the lamp holder is close to the lamp holder metal electrodes and power lines . So part of the heat can be derived from the heat . Integration of thermal conductivity and heat dissipation - Application of high thermal conductivity ceramics . The purpose of heat dissipation is to reduce the working temperature of the LED chip . Due to the expansion coefficient of LED chips and our commonly used metal thermal conductivity .
Doctor Ledpot
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:25 pm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56

buried on page 8 in mid powered section😄
I like the way that your boards are spaced out...still in the planning stage, but with my available space, looks like my SCROGs want to be about 4X5 each. That being the case, now wondering whether to go with HLG 550s(or clones), 600 kits, or pairs of 260XL kits. The 600 puts out the most light, but a pair of 260XLs, spaced maybe around 10" apart, over each SCROG, might produce a more uniform coverage, lessening hot spots at the center, and providing more PAR in the corners?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

yeah.. you would have more uniformity and better corner lighting with two xl kits.. or 4 single heat sinks like mine spread out. and the center wouldn't have the hotspot like a 600 clone..