Hydroponic veggie flavor.

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
MoosingAround
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I grew some hydroponic cherry tomatoes last summer. I never liked Cherry Tomatoes in the past, but these things were like candy. Could've just been the fresh picked factor that Fishsticks mentioned.
Grew them in 1 Gal pots of coco, fed 4-6x a day on a timer with Calcium Nitrate + MaxiBloom + a powdered mix of Micro Nutrients (gotta get that iron).

I planted some seeds from a store bought Ghost Pepper in a Red Cup of coco coir, and it packed a punch. I wouldn't dare eat one whole.

Hydro doesn't kill flavour, but doing hydro without all the micro elements might.
"Chlorophyll a" has the molecular formula: C55 H72 O5 N4 Mg
Lycopene (what makes tomatoes red, and linked to reducing some types of cancer) is C40H56.
No micro elements needed to produce a leafy green, or turn a tomato red, but if you want your Kale leaves to have Iron, you need to provide the Iron.
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

MoosingAround wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm
I grew some hydroponic cherry tomatoes last summer. I never liked Cherry Tomatoes in the past, but these things were like candy. Could've just been the fresh picked factor that Fishsticks mentioned.
Grew them in 1 Gal pots of coco, fed 4-6x a day on a timer with Calcium Nitrate + MaxiBloom + a powdered mix of Micro Nutrients (gotta get that iron).

I planted some seeds from a store bought Ghost Pepper in a Red Cup of coco coir, and it packed a punch. I wouldn't dare eat one whole.

Hydro doesn't kill flavour, but doing hydro without all the micro elements might.
"Chlorophyll a" has the molecular formula: C55 H72 O5 N4 Mg
Lycopene (what makes tomatoes red, and linked to reducing some types of cancer) is C40H56.
No micro elements needed to produce a leafy green, or turn a tomato red, but if you want your Kale leaves to have Iron, you need to provide the Iron.

very cool man. Good info there. I may pick your brain some when I get that far. I bought a house and now my whole setup has changed way more room. I have a lot of planning to do to before I start anymore veggies.

I keep reading so many people growing in coco. I need to try it. I have had a lot of luck with DWC setups. but with talk of expansion I'm considering all options. I've been planning a RDWC setup, but I don't think thats the answer for all the things I am going to grow.

let the research begin!
MoosingAround
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

DWC is probably going to get you faster growth, I just didnt find it simple enough, checking and correcting the pH of the reservoir twice a day. I personally wouldn't go back to (R)DWC unless I had a big enough system that I could justify $$ on a pH probe & dosing pump.

Coco you only need to check the pH of your feed solution, and after mixing up the same cocktail several times you can start to eyeball it.
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

hmm. Interesting point. I got to a similar point where I could get ph right after mixing the same mix with the same water source. I nailed ph almost every time once I got in the groove.

Do you use the coco bricks or the stuff already broken up?